I came home from work to disaster!

MissMTS
Came home from work tonight at 10:30 pm and 1/2 of the water was gone from my new tank of angels! I checked the tank and the leak was coming from the filter. 15 gallons of water had drained out of the hang on back filter onto my carpet! I immediatly went into a panic because no pet stores are open now to get a new filter. Then I remembered that I had an extra one on my cichlid tank that would work for now. I put the filter on my new tank, and filled it back up and my fish seem fine. Wow was that a close one Has that happened to anyone else before?

susitna-flower
Never out of a filter....That was close. If the leak had been worse and you not there to deal with it...

I have on the other hand gotten distracted when changing water, and syphoned all the water out of the tank. This happened in my fry tank with about 100 molly babies! It was so low that the kids were sucking water from out between the rocke!

I refilled the tank, and had at least 99 still there, live and kicking. I was lucky, and felt just horrid, but it seems to happen fairly often, just never that much.

My usual water change, I syphon water out of all the big tanks, then go start the generator to refill (water pump needs the big generator). The syphon job takes over an hour and I don't want to run the big generator that long......any way, I was doing this the other day, and one of my 55 got down to only about 10 inches of water in it before I noticed what was going on....It all turned out ok. The fish didn't seem any worse for the wear.

You didn't know you were going to do a water change when you got home, did you.

capekate
HI Kate
sorry to hear about the mess on your rug from the filter!
I have to say that happened to me last week in my 29 gallon tank. After I did a water change I noticed that the water had gone down about three inches in hours. I checked the back and saw that it was coming from the filter.
What I did notice was that the filter had been tipped when I lifted the hood.
and it was dripping from there. I used the little tab that is on the bottom of the filter to put the filter back on a level line. And then it was fine, no more leaks. Is it possible that is what happened to yours and that the filter is not in fact broken?

~ kate

MissMTS
The water was leaking out of the bottom of the filter, so I don't think that's what happened. My guess is that my 3 kitties have something to do with it. The tank is in a spot where they can bump the filter if they are running around, and I think that they broke it. I think I am going to put an in-tank filter in this tank just in case

COBettaCouple
That really stinks! I've not had that happen - was that a new filter?

MissMTS
Brand spankin new. It was the day after I installed it on the tank. And, btw, that filter was the third one in a week that I had to get for that tank because the first two came broken with missing parts. I was excited to finally get one that worked and then, just my luck, this happens! Oh well, maybe I'll laugh about it later

Kristen
The water was leaking out of the bottom of the filter, so I don't think that's what happened. My guess is that my 3 kitties have something to do with it. The tank is in a spot where they can bump the filter if they are running around, and I think that they broke it. I think I am going to put an in-tank filter in this tank just in case

Maybe kitties were hungry and hoping for a snack, only you came and foiled their plans.

COBettaCouple
Could they have been thinking "Sushi!"?

Harley
OoOoOoOo!! Evil kitty's!! Oh well... It's not as bad as having other fish thinking sushi!!

MissMTS
OoOoOoOo!! Evil kitty's!! Oh well... It's not as bad as having other fish thinking sushi!!

Ha ha very true!!!!!!!!!! One of my kitties is a bengal and for some reason he has more wild cat tendancies than my other two, so he is my prime suspect at the moment

RiffDawg15
If you had already received two broken filters prior to that one, then it is very likely that the filter that was leaking was probably defective also....

I would send it back and have them refund you or choose a different filter of the same size....

Good luck

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views
JoeCamaro
Replies