I broke one of my Fx6 lid fasteners! Can I still use it?

Sheena-Phx

Hey everyone. I was cleaning my Fluval Fx6 canister just now and was putti g everything back together when one of the darn lid fasteners fell off the lid. When I tried putting it back on, it cracked. Blah. I just looked online and they was $16 per fancy Fluval bolt... Is there any way that my canister is still usable without this one lid fastener, or will it leak? I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced this! I don't want to cause a bigger mess, so taking a break until I find out, lol. Any help is thoroughly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Well... I just went to go put the lid on and move it to the side for now and one of the other lid fasteners broke when I went to lock it. Talk about really bad freaking luck at the moment. Why are they all breaking all of a sudden? Sorry, super frustrated now. Any chance it's still usable with 2 lid fasteners? Highly doubting this, but need to see what my short term options are. My Lord...I'm just not going to touch it anymore. Lol.
**Edit** I meant to say can I still use it "without" 2 lid fasteners. I don't know how to edit this on my phone. Sorry.

Attachments

• 16563705768487545889851588362545.jpg
    16563705768487545889851588362545.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 3

PseudotropheusKenobi

I’d highly recommend replacing them instead of trying to run a FX6 without two fasteners. A leak is a lot more headache than replacing them believe me, I had a 200L flood a fortnight ago when my FX6 attachments came loose.

FishDin

IMO $16 isn't much to ensure your system is sound, you fish are safe and your floors are dry.

Jonmott

Give fluval a call, I’d bet they will send you new ones for free, in the meantime make sure you keep your bio media wet and hopefully you have a spare hob or sponge filter or even an air stone on hand?

Sheena-Phx

I’d highly recommend replacing them instead of trying to run a FX6 without two fasteners. A leak is a lot more headache than replacing them believe me, I had a 200L flood a fortnight ago when my FX6 attachments came loose.
Thank you, I agree. I just can't afford to replace them right now unfortunately. I pulled out a spare Marineland C-360 last night and got that up and going, plus a Marineland HOB. Still not as good as my Fluval, but better than nothing right now. I didn't want to take any chances with it leaking. Once I can spare the money to replace those bolts, I will do so. Just can't do it right now.
Give fluval a call, I’d bet they will send you new ones for free, in the meantime make sure you keep your bio media wet and hopefully you have a spare hob or sponge filter or even an air stone on hand?
That's a good idea, and most certainly can't hurt to check. Thank you for the suggestion. I swapped out some of the media into a spare canister, plus put an Hob, a long flexible airstone strip, and a large airstone ball. I should be set for now until I can get those two fasteners.
IMO $16 isn't much to ensure your system is sound, you fish are safe and your floors are dry.
I agree, but with everything, including aquarium supplies pretty much doubling in cost over the last 6 months where I live, I can't afford to spare $32 on two fasteners when the rest of the world is falling apart at the moment. Lol. I have a spare Canister that is currently set up, plus other things to ensure the tank will be fine for the time. Just have to prioritize my finances and do that whole adulting thing unfortunately...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ghostie
Replies
Views
Charlie Reel
Replies
Views
Josie12012
Replies
Views