I bought two Severum’s the other day that had Ich really bad

Colbyxxs

Hey guys! So I’ve been doing this for a little while now, & would say I’m pretty knowledgeable when it comes to freshwater. But I have a question!
I’ve been doing this thing lately where if I’m at one of my LFS & I see a fish that’s on it’s way to death. I’ll buy it, and do my best to heal them. I’m 6/7 doing this, and will continue to do it as long as I can. I love helping the ones I can. But these two severums were severely infested, they’re both still going and they’re well past the early stages. I use salt, 84 degrees, fritz Ich, and water changes every other day. Usually this works everytime.
But can it be to a point where you’re not able to heal it?
Any help would be great! Thinking about trying other methods I’ve done before, but hate medicating.

Tigerburp

Hey guys! So I’ve been doing this for a little while now, & would say I’m pretty knowledgeable when it comes to freshwater. But I have a question!
I’ve been doing this thing lately where if I’m at one of my LFS & I see a fish that’s on it’s way to death. I’ll buy it, and do my best to heal them. I’m 6/7 doing this, and will continue to do it as long as I can. I love helping the ones I can. But these two severums were severely infested, they’re both still going and they’re well past the early stages. I use salt, 84 degrees, fritz Ich, and water changes every other day. Usually this works everytime.
But can it be to a point where you’re not able to heal it?
Any help would be great! Thinking about trying other methods I’ve done before, but hate medicating.
If the disease progression has stopped you know you are doing the right thing

A201

To eliminate Ich, you'll likely have better results by bumping the temperature up to 86 - 87 degrees.
Ich can damage gill tissue to a point beyond healing if not cured in time.

GlennO

Ich is always and easily curable, though it can lead to secondary infections or gill damage. There are 3 recognised methods for treating Ich:

1. Salt (requires high concentration & therefore only for salt tolerant species in non planted tanks)
2. Heat (may not be as effective in hot climates where there are heat resistant strains). Temp needs to be at least 86F.
3. Medication (needs to be a recognised good quality Ich specific med). Not an obscure or herbal treatment. I'm not familiar with the Fritz one.

I would not recommend combining any of the above treatments (although a slight bump in temp to 80F can be beneficial when treating with meds or salt just to speed up the Ich life cycle and thereby shorten the treatment period).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views
Vix1987
Replies
Views
fishman'iac
Replies
Views