I bought two new guppies Help 

Crispeezy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi there new to forum hope you guys can help, i have just got 2 new guppies, from the shop today, one of them is swimming around nice and happy energetic little thing, whereas the other one is being very strange it is just staying behind my pump basically at the top of the tank just still as, it looks dead but its not, i have taken a video but i will try and take another one as its so hard to film were it is as its very dark and the light just reflects

also it looks a little tatty im not sure if its fin rot its more like his middelesh towards the back fin on the top of its main body looks a little tatty.

all other fish seem to be a OK happy little things all levels seem to be good exept No3 (this is at 50 i use the little 6 in 1 strips) but i have made it so my pump is agetating the water a little more i think it was a little high

video will follow

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!

Sometimes fish can take a while to adjust to a new tank, especially if the are not acclimated well. Also high nitrate levels could have shocked him when you added him to the tank. Could you tell us a little bit more about your tank? What else is in there, how long its been running, how often you do water changes, etc.

Crispeezy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
quick reply

well its a 10 G been up and running for about 4-5 weeks now i do water change every sat, just little like 20-25 %, i done a 50% 2 days ago because the nitrate levels started rising,

im uploading a video on to you tube now to post onto here, to be fare sods law its started swimming around more now

o yeah i have

1 blue ram fiesty king of the tank its calmer now since i took the aggressive one out i did have two but he was just beating everything in site it managed to kill one of my Hasbourius ( i think thats how you spell it )

so i have

1 blue ram
1 hasbourius
3 neon tetre
1 glowlight tetra
2 new guppies

is this over corwded ??? they all seem to love it in there and friendly with each other

this is the video its a little long as my camera found it a lil hard to focus when things were swimming skip foward little bits and you will see

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fishlore.

Is the "hasborious" you're talking about a Corydoras hasbrosus? This fish?
686.jpg

At least to me, your tank does sound a bit overcrowded, especially if there are no live plants in there to buffer the nitrates. As well, C. hasbrosus and the neon tetras prefer to be in larger groups (preferably 5+), although it wouldn't be advisable to put more into a tank that size.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree that your tank is a bit overcrowded, dont worry too much about it though, plenty of beginners have made the same mistake. It sounds to me like most of the fish you have are schooling fish (except the ram and the guppies). and prefer to be kept in schools like midthought said. Im also not sure what fish your talking about with the hasborious, perhaps a harlequin rasbora? I also think I see a blind cave fish in your video, the white one with no eyes maybe? I would return most of the fish if you can and maybe keep a school of neons with the pair of guppies. If the ram killed another fish, its probably another sign youre over crowded, also IMO rams need larger tanks and they can be quite a handful to take care of

Crispeezy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i think thats what i need is live plants, how deep does the gravel need to be to put live plants in ???

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Im not sure plants would solve all your problems, also those can be tough to manage along with having all your fish

Crispeezy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thats a glowlight tetra he is cool, rasboras i think its name, got a black triangle on its back the guppie has started moveing about, yeah i took the aggressive ram out and gave it to a friend, i think some live plants are whats needed to buffer the nitrates like that dude above said ^^^ most of the fish look happy to be fare if its overcrowded would there be signs of distress ???

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Im not sure if thats a glowlight to be honest, does he have eyes? if not Im pretty sure it is a blind cave fish, harlequin rasboras do kinda have a black triangle on their sides then a brownish hue on the rest of their body. Glad to hear your guppy is doing better, his rapid gill movement kinda concerned me in your video.

Also plants will slightly help your nitrates, but in a pretty over stocked tank, it probably wont help as much as you would think

mcurtissdsu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Crispeezy said:
hi there new to forum hope you guys can help, i have just got 2 new guppies, from the shop today, one of them is swimming around nice and happy energetic little thing, whereas the other one is being very strange it is just staying behind my pump basically at the top of the tank just still as, it looks dead but its not, i have taken a video but i will try and take another one as its so hard to film were it is as its very dark and the light just reflects

also it looks a little tatty im not sure if its fin rot its more like his middelesh towards the back fin on the top of its main body looks a little tatty.

all other fish seem to be a OK happy little things all levels seem to be good exept No3 (this is at 50 i use the little 6 in 1 strips) but i have made it so my pump is agetating the water a little more i think it was a little high

video will follow
I've noticed that my guppies do that when anything changes in their tank. That's also how mine acted for the first few days I had them. I wouldn't worry just yet but I would keep a close eye on them for a few days. I bet they'll be fine in a few days.

Crispeezy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wow i never new that the shop said it was a glowlight although they was very rude at the shop i really didnt like them,

its gills have seemed to slow down now its swimming around i will keep an eye on it im thinking of ditchin them test strips and getting a test kit

do you reccomend any im in the uk too yeah i will pass on the live plants i have read they can be a pain

if the gills do get faster what could this be ?????

thanks for the help by the way

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm a dudette, but that's cool.

Live plants would help with buffering nitrates and may provide some hiding places for your more stressed fish, but they but don't address overcrowding directly.

So the "hasborious" you were referring to is the fish with the black triangle on its body? That definitely sounds like a harlequin rasbora. Those are also schooling fish and should be in groups of 6+. I'd also agree with bass master that the white fish looks like a blind cave tetra rather than a glowlight tetra, at least in your video (compare
687.jpg
(blind cave and normal forms of the same fish, Astyanax mexicanus; pic from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Astyanax_mexicanus.JPG, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_tetra) and (glowlight, AKA Hemigrammus erythrozonus; pic from Badman's Tropical Fish: https://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile62.html)). But either way, tetras are shoaling fish and should also be kept in groups.

Different fish respond to overcrowding in different ways. Some fish get aggressive and some become reclusive. And sometimes it's hard to gauge what stress looks like unless you know what they act like when they're *not* stressed. The way your fish (not just the guppy) are just floating and not really moving around much looks like a sign of stress to me.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
glad to help

Many fish stores dont really know what theyre talking about nor do they care IMO

I know the most recommended test kit is the API master liquid test, I think it should be available for you in the UK

Fast gill movement is generally a sign of stress and his gills should continue to slow down as he adjusts to your tank. I would recommend treating your tank with stress coat + by API as well as adding an air pump to your aquarium to raise the oxygen levels. I think the stress coat water conditioner is a great product especially when getting a new tank started

Crispeezy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wow you guys are darn helpful i think they all a bit stressed from the big water change usually they are all moveing around, you do have me concerned as i agree they do all look a bit still tonight

i think if by tomorrow or mon things havnt changed i will think about takeing some of them out that will be sad though

ok i have made a little list of them things now this air pump i have not been introduced to one of these, also due to the fact that the fish shop was just so un helpful

Hello, I've merged your threads since they were back to back with no response between.
Thanks!
Ken

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
great to hear that your taking action, its always good to help someone out especially when they are willing to listen

An air pump isnt entirely necessary, but when fish are breathing quickly they are trying to grasp more oxygen so an air pump pushes air through and airstone to make bubbles that will raise the oxygen content in the water making it a little bit easier for the fish to catch its breath so to speak. For your ten gallon tank you could probably go with one of the cheaper air pumps because your tank isnt too deep and wont require as much force to pump out plenty of bubbles. I also recommend getting the best airstones your petsore sells, the higher quality airstones dont cost much at all but I notice a huge difference in the amount of bubbles. The ones I use are white and slender and were sold as "elite airstones". I dont really remember the brand and if you cant find anything similar you should be fine with the standard stone airstones, I would recommend the smaller round or cylindrical ones

Crispeezy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok i have been reading and i have seen that high temp sucks out Oxygen and that if i lower the temp a little it can help until getting an air stone sorted, its at 28 at the minute i may take it down to 25, what im concerned about is if my guppie that looks a little mis treated, i wouldnt say scabby but a little miss treated on its scale may have bought a parasite into my tank, would it be advised to put a bit of meds in there i have some general tonic and some ich treatment because since i have been sitting here looking on the interwebs my ram has started like darting against the side of my spongebob pineapple ornament, could this be early signs of something ?

oh yes of course i will take action this are my little beauties look so nice and relaxing in my university room

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lower the temperature slowly, 28 is a little bit high for livebearers, but 25 should be pretty good, lower the temperature slowly (1 degree C per day) and then leave it there. I wouldnt treat for ich yet, especially not with meds. Meds can be tough on a fish's system and can stress them out more. Keep an eye on the fish you see flashing up against the pineapple, if it spreads to other fish or if you notice either white spots on him or a goldish slime covering him, then i can give you further advice on how to treat him. I really never use meds anymore unless there is a truly persistent problem that will not go away with natural treatments. Many people will use quarantine tanks to isolate and treat sick fish before the disease spreads and so they can medicate only the sick fish. I believe there is a link on the fishlore home page that gives a good description on how to set up such a tank. Also rams can be pretty tough fish to take care of, too bad though, they are pretty amazing. He might not be doing well in such a small tank with the nitrates being so high, you might want to give him to your friend as well.

glad to hear you are enjoying your new fish they are quite relaxing to watch

Crispeezy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok well hahah i have been sitting here for ages watching them and one of the neon tetras has a white dot on his dorsal fin also some of the fish seem to have a whiteish almost dusty look not white spots though there is only the one neon tetra that does my rasbors seems to be side swimming the glass a fare bit than normal, its crazy how this has all just started happening they have all been fine

o also i really dont have the space or money to set up a Q tank as much as i would love to to help the llittle fellas

I've merged these also.
Ken

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crispeezy said:
ok i have been reading and i have seen that high temp sucks out Oxygen and that if i lower the temp a little it can help until getting an air stone sorted, its at 28 at the minute i may take it down to 25, what im concerned about is if my guppie that looks a little mis treated, i wouldnt say scabby but a little miss treated on its scale may have bought a parasite into my tank, would it be advised to put a bit of meds in there i have some general tonic and some ich treatment because since i have been sitting here looking on the interwebs my ram has started like darting against the side of my spongebob pineapple ornament, could this be early signs of something ?

oh yes of course i will take action this are my little beauties look so nice and relaxing in my university room
I wouldn't medicate unless I had a diagnosis and knew what I was treating*, and I definitely wouldn't medicate the whole tank unless I thought it was warranted and unavoidable (such as with ich). As with humans, medications bring along side effects, so you should medicate very carefully. The best thing you can do for the guppy and indeed any fish is just to keep the water clean with water changes. If you want to go beyond that, there are non-medication options first, such as Vita Chem (in the water or soaked in food), a stress coat additive, or soaking their food in garlic juice.

*There are exceptions to this, such as when you can't decide between columnaris and a fungal infection. I'd treat for columnaris first because it kills much quicker.

Crispeezy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yeah somethings up just noticed the back fin of a neon is also white and missing fin rot ????

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads