I bought some Aqua Plant Bulbs, now what?

April R

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I gave into impulse and purchased of Live Assorted Aqua Plant Bulbs at my LFS. The package says it contains 2 Aponogeton (Aponogeton Ulvaceus) , 1 onion (Crinum Thaianum), 1 waterlily (Nymphaea Sp.) See photo below
However, the bulbs in the package look like I may have gotten 2 extra Aponogeton (no complaints here) However, I do not know much about these plants and they were not in my list of plants I wanted for my tank, but I thought the idea of letting my kids plant them in the tank and watching them grow would be pretty neat even if they don't make it in the end. It was only $5.00 to try something interesting.

Has anyone ever seen or used bulbs like this before? What was your experience?

water plant bulbs.jpg

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sometimes they work, others they don't. Depends on how long it was sitting on the shelf. At work (PetSmart) we have some that have been there for months without anyone buying them. But if they do not sprout within a certain amount of days you can send them to the place that is listed on the back of the package and get new bulbs for free

So I think it can be well worth it in the end.

April R

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sometimes they work, others they don't. Depends on how long it was sitting on the shelf. At work (PetSmart) we have some that have been there for months without anyone buying them. But if they do not sprout within a certain amount of days you can send them to the place that is listed on the back of the package and get new bulbs for free

So I think it can be well worth it in the end.
I figured it was hit or miss, but I did notice the onion is already sprouting in the package. So Yay! At least one may make it. And I saw the replacement guarantee, so if I am inclined and they don't start within 30 days, I will try returning them in exchange for a new one.

Brandon Bennett

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I bought a Nymph Lily bulb at Wal-Mart, figured I had nothing to lose for a couple of bucks. It grew into an amazing plant that sprouts pads everyother day.

There's some discussion that these lillies overtake the roots of other plants and somehow rob certain nutrients so I would plant a good distance from your other plants.

I can tell you that once they get started, they grow and root very quickly.

April R

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
After doing some reading up on the bulbs I got, I have decided to plant the lily on one end of the tank in the back corner. The Aponogeton go through a period of dormancy and need to be pruned back and removed from the tank during that time, so I am going plant them towards the rear center at the end of an already planned open space
The onion will probably occupy the opposite side of the tank of the lily towards the mid-ground. They look to grow relatively slower than the other bulbs, but can get really long and I think it would look nice if it has the leaves trailing towards the middle of the tank.

Teishokue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Always feel your bulbs first. If they are soft they are dead or parts of it. It is best to just sit your bulbs on top of your gravel until it has sprouted roots/leaves. This will allow minimal rotting factors to play.

The company typically adds extra bulbs in the package just for misses. It is like purchasing an auction on aquabid. Sometimes you get the 10+2 for DOA.
You're apotegeons will outgrow your tanks and one is needed to do so.

Teishokue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
oh you definitely should. im just saying in due time, they will flourish. a bit much but you'll see soon enough ^^

aylad

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have weird apons that don't grow much. They just kinda sit there with leaves ranging from less than 1 inch to maybe 6 inches. I don't exactly have a green thumb, it's more "olive drab," so your mileage may vary...

In a tank that doesn't have an established filter, I'd warn you not to leave a bulb in the tank longer than a couple of weeks if it's not sprouting. If it isn't living, it's rotting, and that will wreak havoc with your ammonia levels.

The lilies are awesome when they aren't duds; I just bought another pack of them myself.

Tetra Guy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I bought a bulb package from Petsmart over a year ago and planted them. They grew and died off, I thought that was the end of it. Then a couple of months ago, the onion bulb sprouted back up again to my suprise I completely forgot about it. Post some pics of their growth, it would be cool to see their progress.

April R

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Will do. I am planning on trying to maintain a weekly aquarium log, possibly a blog. It will keep me accountable for maintaining my tank AND have the added bonus of being able to document my it's progress. I am going to start a thread about it ASAP.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom