I bought an 88lb bag of blasting sand

1. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

I have a new tank to set up.
    I sent out my husband last night to buy a bag of blasting sand, having heard that it's nice to use as a substrate.
    I got him to pick up the 88lb bag, as it was only $10.

As I was pouring it into some buckets to start rinsing it last night, I noticed the back of the bag said that it contains up to .2% nickle, and has a warning about possibly carcinogen !!

Is this stuff really safe to use in an aquarium ?

2. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

It's "Bell and Mackenzie" - and it's called "Black Shot".

It's #20 size.

3. Lupinus Member Member

Did it say what for? Silica sand will have that warning as silica dust is classified as such.

4. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

I used it for my 5.5 gallon I'm never using it again it's way to dirty.

5. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

It is - it's taking a LOT of rinsing. Hoping to get it clean "enough" to use.

6. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Even after rinsing it I could see like oil on the top of the water, I didn't put a fish in

7. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

I haven't fully made up my mind if I'm using this stuff in a tank or not yet.
    I do see that film on top of the water in the rinsing buckets.

8. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

9. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

I've heard good reviews about it too - but I prefer the dark colour.

SO torn right now !! *lol*

10. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Very true I like the darker color. Maybe try rinsing it it a lot that may help.

11. mutantguppy Initiate Member

I get sand from a nearby creek, it has a lot of silt in it, the usual way of rinsing didnt work, so I put it in a shallow, wide tub, and used the garden hose to direct a jet of water into it. When the tub filled, I quickly dumped it so fast settling particle wouldn't have time to settle. Maybe this might work for blasting sand. Good luck!

12. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

It's a little more expensive but I like Tahitian Moon sand when I look at black sand. I also like EcoComplete if I'm buying plant substrate.
    Carol