I blame this on you guys!

Discussion in 'Convict Cichlid' started by ericlacross, Apr 8, 2010.

1. ericlacrossNew MemberMember

So now that I have my Mbuna tank up and going good, I decided "why not get another tank set up?" So I went out and got me a pair of Convicts and a RTS to put in a 29 gallon tank I had sitting around. So now I have 4 tanks up and running! I think I have a problem, and I blame all of you! LOL:;thx

The male I have is about twice the size as the female and they got along fine for the first 2 days. But now he constantly picks at her and she just hangs out at the top of the tank in the corner. The LFS I got them at couldn't sex them for me, but I stood in front of the tank forever and I am pretty sure I found one male and one female. And the Red Tail just minds his own business and they leave him alone so I guess that works out.

Should I worry about the female getting bullied, or do you think they will calm down? Right now the tank is pretty wide open, with a couple of caves, but I just ordered some fake plants and deco's for the tank to give everyone some more hiding spots, hoping this will help.

Well thanks for the help once again!

Eric

Attached Files:

2. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Another case of MTS!! Welcome to the club. :D

Cons are pretty aggressive at the best of times. It could be that the male want to breed & the female isn't ready yet. It might be a good idea to try & get another female so that he spreads the attention around a little. More hiding places will help & would be very high on my priority list. It's probably going to get pretty rough in there for your shark to when they start to breed so you might want to think aobut where you are going to move it to if the need arises.

3. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

:;a2 we had nothing to do with this :whistling:

4. bubblynutter

bubblynutterWell Known MemberMember

Denial. ;D

5. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

lol, Best wishes for the new tank and fish! Thanks for sharing the photos with us. Beautiful!
    Ken

6. OP
    OP
    e

ericlacrossNew MemberMember

Yeah, finding another female is going to be an issue. You would think that as much as these guys are supposed to breed it would be easy to find them right? Not so much around here, I had to drive over an hour to find a lfs that had any and then they didn't think they had any females, thats why I had to watch the tank forever to wait and see if any of them showed any orange.

So I guess I will wait it out and see what happens, like I said I already ordered some fake plants and a couple other cool things for them to hide in. I should have everything by next week sometime. Hopefully that will make it better for everyone. If it gets worse before the stuff comes than I have a fry tank with no fry in it that I could put either the male or female in. I did some forum trolling and seen where a few people had RTS with convicts so thats why I got him. But if he gets bullied, whats another tank right! Oh man, my fiance would probably take me to rehab or something!:;smack LOL

7. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I'm not so sure adding another female would be a good idea. If the new female and the male pair off, the other female is going to be a victim of their aggression.

The best advice I can offer would be to add plenty of hiding places and remove them from the tank, switch things around, add the female first, then the male, and see if the "confusion" calms the male down a little bit.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

8. OP
    OP
    e

Yeah, right now I am removing the male and putting him in the fry tank. Then when I get the stuff to re-decorate the tank I will let her and the RTS stay in there for 24 hours or so before I re-introduce him.

9. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

I agree 1f 1m ..dont keep them apart too much longer...the older they get , the more they will fight.....and your rts, will be picked on if they pair up also....to the point he could be killed...you do have a m/f combo tho :) great fish

10. OP
    OP
    e

Yeah its only going to be a week at the most. He is just being relentless towards her right now, she won't eat or anything. She just goes from corner to corner to get away. I really hope it works out and they pair off, I got them because I wanted to witness this parental behavior they are supposed to have.

I have another question for you Shawnie, I see that you have Africans and Convicts mixed. So what is your thought on if these 2 just won't pair up and get along that I do add another female and then once the male pairs up with one of the females take the other female and put her in with my Africans?

11. Shawnie

I had a female kill 2 male cons (guess they werent her type ) so it can go either way....best bet is to get an established pair at the pet store...I cant advise on 2 fems with 1 male..if anything, id return the male and find one more her size and let her have the tank for a few alone....but I have only kept male cons with my africans :) my fems couldnt keep up with them

12. OP
    OP
    e

Ok thanks. I am going to post a picture of the whole tank. As you can see its very wide open, and I did this on purpose because I wanted something "simple looking" but I realize now that it just don't work or look like I was thinking it would. I will post more pics when I get it redone, I have picked some ideas off of pics here on the forums so I think it will be pretty sweet!

As I said the fish store is forever and a day away, so returning a fish or exchanging is going to have to be last resort. And honestly I just love this male (I never thought I would say or type those words! LOL), he is so good looking and even though he is ornary as all get up, I don't think I could get rid of him. :;hug2 I wish this fish keeping stuff was more of an exact science, but I guess thats what makes it a fun hobby.

Here are 3 pics, the first one is the Convict tank, the second one is the Convict tank on top and the fry tank on bottom, and the 3rd one is off topic, its my male Saulosi in my Mbuna tank, he is really getting his adult colors in and he looks pretty cool right now. (the pic doesn't do him any justice, but its the best one I found out of about 50 that I tried taking, another thing I am trying to learn how to do!)

Attached Files:

13. Shawnie

great pics!!!!! I understand about returning fish :)
    that tank needs a ton more hiding spots/caves/vases etc..especially if you decide to keep your rts..he wont stand a chance with a mating pair in there :(
    LOL @ 50 shots for one good one...thats the way fish keeping is for sure :) great looking Saulosi

14. OP
    OP
    e

Yeah, it sucks that I have to order everything. I wish I had a nice pet store around here, but my only choices are Wal-Mart (don't say it, I would NEVER buy fish from them) and Solden's which is really overpriced, and every fish I have ever bought there has died within a week. They will exchange them, but whats the point if I have to get a new one every week? So I know most of the stuff will be here by Wednesday, just waiting for a delivery date from one more site.

Well the female is already out and about and eating now that the male is out, so thats a good thing. One other thing, when I went to the pet store to get these guys, all of the convicts were housed with a 6" + Red Belly Piranha! Are they that tough? Or do you suppose thats just how they feed him?

15. Shawnie

if you search the site, you will see a ton of inexpensive ways to decorate.....I use the dollar store and craft stores ALLOT...you can buy planters, glass vases, glass deco etc from places like that....allot of my fake plants are also from places like that...just make sure they are chemical/dye free....you do not have to buy all your things from pet stores only :)

ive also got a ton of great fish from walmart...but each store is of course different :)

cons can take on anything if they are a breeding pair...my original pair were in with 13 inch oscars and held their own ..dont underestimate small fish like those guys/gals

16. OP
    OP
    e

Ok! I got the tank re-decorated and kept the male out for 24 more hours afterwords. And it only took him about 30 seconds to drive the poor female back to the top corner of the tank. So I called around and found another pet store, about 1 1/2 hours away that said they had some larger female convicts. So I took my small one and traded it towards a larger one. Put her in the tank and they hit it off immediatley! Within 10 minutes they were both digging pits and she went from really dark with a slight color on her belly to a bright white with a beautiful colored belly!

I will post some pics of her and the new tank setup.

Can anyone tell me, what does the coloration mean if anything? I know the belly color is for females, but my male and all the fish including her at the pet store were very dark grey with black lines. But now like I said she is a real nice white with black lines, and he has stayed very dark colors ever since I've had him.

Thanks for all the help and info!

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice