I blame all of you

1. peregrine Member Member

OK. If you made it this far, you are probably already going "WHAT HAPPENED HOW COULD IT BE OUR FAULT?" or you think I'm blaming you for my fish dying. Actually exact opposite, my fish are doing better than ever since I found this forum.. So thank you to everyone.

Let me tell you a little story ((really it's a long story but hey I'm bored)) of how All this started ((only because I'm bored so choose to ignore if you want)). I'm sure most people can relate to this story.

My now 3 year old daughter for the last year or so has ALWAYS wanted to go look a tall the fish at Petsmart every time we went to get cat food. So enter a few months ago (3 or 4 can't remember at this point)...

Our normal trip to petsmart started out like every other one... As we walk in my 3 year old drags us to the fish to look at them (ALL of them). So we asked if she wanted to have fish at home and of course she said yes. So on an impulse we talk with a person there about what we wanted for fish and it was a simple answer of "It's a tank for my daughter so probably bright colored fish". We started off on our little journey. grabbing a 10 gal tank kit (which changed halfway through grabbing because the first kit didn't have a heater), some plastic plants in bright colors, pink gravel, and a pink castle (you would never guess it was a little girls tank at this point right?), and some flake food, and I grabbed some tap water conditioner. Then this conversation happened..

Me: OK let's go look at fish
    PS Emp: Umm not yet
    Me: But isn't an aquarium for fish?
    PS Emp: Yes but you need the tank to cycle before adding any fish. At minimum 2 - 3 weeks. ((she put a LOT of emphasis on the time))
    Me: It needs to do what?
    PS Emp: Cycle, you wouldn't want to swim in your own pee would you? Which means we need a few more things..
    (we went over and she put my generic tap water conditioner back, grabbed some prime, Stability, and some API 5 in 1 test strips))
    PS Emp: OK go home. Set up your tank. Fill it with water, follow directions on the 2 bottles, and every day put a pinch of food in the tank
    Me: (ABSOLUTELY confused at this point, just nodded) Ummm ok....
    PS Emp: Once everything is running, every 2 or 3 days test the water.
    ((Gave a quick explanation of what I have since learned is the nitrogen cycle, and that nothing will change at first, then nitrites will go up and go down and nitrates will go up.. and once nitrites look like they are at 0 and there are nitrates showing I can bring some water for her to test and she will let me know if it's safe to add fish, made sure to get her name because she seemed less into getting us to buy things, and more into making it successful))

this is when I realized. OMG freshwater actually is going to take research... I already knew saltwater would since a close friend of mine worked at a small pet store and had her own business for a while doing saltwater aquarium maintenance and everything she said about what it takes for saltwater.

So we bought the stuff. went home, set it up and started doing what she said. At this point I hopped on the internet having no clue what to search for, since I was a new aquarist now, looking for as much information I could find on freshwater aquariums. After a few hours my head was SWIMMING and I felt like I had been spinning for those hours and was possibly more confused than before. I work IT so I'm used to when looking for things there is one definitely right answer and for aquariums there was nothing like that. Everyone had a different answer and all seemed like they were probably right. The only thing that everyone could seem to agree on was the very few things that science has proven (EG: Ammonia bad, how the nitrogen cycle works, etc)

Fast forward almost 3 weeks. We did exactly as she said, I tested every 2 to 3 days. Finally thought I had what she said. Took a sample of the water back. She ran the tests. Tod me to wait a few more days, there were still nitrites, apparently she was a LOT better at reading the little strips than me.

So waited a few more days and went back. She made sure to ask what the temp of my water was at. Tod her 78 and has been there for almost the entire time. So we went to look at fish. I told her I what I wanted ((5 neon tetras, 5 Glofish, what I now know are types of Skirt Tetra, and 5 ghost shrimp)), and AGAIN she stopped me. Telling me it was WAY too many fish for the tank, and way too many fish to add at once. She advised at most 3 neons and if we really wanted 2 of the ghost shrimp, and explained how to acclimate, then wait a week and test the water to make sure it is still good. Reluctantly we left with just those. This slow adding went on for 3 weeks till we were stocked.

At this point everyone that has made it this far is thinking. Wait how can it be our fault and our fault for what, you haven't mentioned FishLore at ALL yet. Well here is Fishlore part.

A month and a half ago or so I started having some of my Glofish ((got Danio rerio)) dying for no apparent reason ((to me)), so went back on the web. Sifting through all the junk and people saying lots of things I came across FishLore and OMG it was like the mecca of aquarium knowledge. And not just knowledge, but friendly people helping other new aquarists like myself. Most other sites I found when a new person who said they were new started asking a question were being belittled by other more experienced aquarists for not knowing the answer. So for a week or so I found most of my answers I needed by other people posting questions and the great people here answering. So much information and so little time as every 3 or 4 days I would have a glofish floating and we couldn't seem to catch the person that we liked at PS and the others just pretty much seemed like they had no clue. Because the neons were doing fine we would purchase another one of the color that passed and put it in ((my 3 year old would notice one of her "pink fishies" missing))

So Looking at advice I found here I stopped replacing them and got a liquid test kit and tested and found Ammonia was high. At this point I felt so horrible because it meant I was killing poor innocent fish. Started using stability again and got it under control.

A few weeks go by and all of a sudden I notice one of the glofish looking like either fin rot or nipping but can't tell. So I join to ask the question. From the picture it was hard to tell (shocker tiny fish hard to see. Get some great information and started Melafix (the key was when was told about the grayish edges which I actually hadn't found anywhere) and happy to say, all fish are happy and Melafix treatment last day is today, and the one who looks like he probably had fin rot's tail is growing back already. ((Again thank you very much hampalong))

So at this point I decided if I joined I might as well look around. Started seeing all the members beautiful tanks, and all the great information and helpful people. I have been trying to help new people like myself with the insane amount of research I've done in the last few weeks, being very careful to not put incorrect information because I don't want anyone to have issues like I had because of me.

If you made it this far congratulations, and here is what you really have been coming here for.

So What do I blame you all for. Here it is. I think I'm coming down with a case of MTS.. Not that I'm going to start any new one soon (I want to have these fish stable for a while before even starting a new one), but I have found myself not only looking at information here, but I have started making wishlists on Amazon ((which my wife noticed when she was doing something on Amazon)). She was confused and went into them because they have "generic" names. like FW, FOWLR, and Reef. So yes I blame all of you and your gorgeous Tanks for the beginning of my MTS. Of which my wife is mad and happy at the same time about. She's upset because of the amount of money on the wishlists. But she's happy because she wants a bigger house and I'm fine with the size we have now, but for the Reef tank I want (200+ gal) we will have to get a bigger house and she likes pointing that out every chance she gets.

Again thank you everyone for great information and all the help (even the help you don't realize you gave me), and hopefully at some point I can be just as helpful to another aquarist as all of oyu have been to me.

2. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

I'm glad your enjoying the hobby as much as I do

3. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Congratulations on being blessed with MTS. It can give you and your daughter a lifetime of enjoyment..... and it can make your house grow. :)

4. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Oh no... Don't say your coming down with MTS, other wise the NMTSP will come for you(@Fishaholic was the first to discover the organisation). I'm glad your here and you have found some helpful things here! Even when I try and look up my answer it's usually on fish lore, I'm so glad to be part of this community. I know your only at 20posts now, but here soon you'll have close to a 1,000! This forum is so addicting and such a good community, it's an enjoyable experience for anyone.:) Could you post a photo of yours/your daughters tank if you have time? I'm curious and I love to see everyone's tanks! Welcome to the forum!

5. peregrine Member Member

Of course. Currently still in the 10 ((ordered a 20 long so the danios and neons can have more space to swim, and to larger schools but came in cracked, so waiting on replacement))

[​IMG]

6. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Wow you made it look huge for a 10g! From the photo I'd guess a 15g. That's one colourful tank, I bet your daughter loves it. Your pretty good at aquascaping(I'm not...). That stinks the 20g came in cracked, but I bet everyone will be happy when it comes in. Thanks for the photo, it's a nice tank.;)

7. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

That sure looks like a little girls dream tank. good job. There is no real cure for MTS but you do spend more time at home with the wife and kids which is the upside and the whole family gets to enjoy it. Alison:;hi1

8. peregrine Member Member

Thanks, I can't take the credit. Auquascaping was ALL my wife. She's the amateur Photographer and painter. I'm colorblind, and work in IT. Which means I have a hard time making colors look good together, and I like everything nice, neat and orderly... My wife threatened to hit me if I moved the plants into straight lines again...:;smack

And yes my daughter loves it. It's the easiest way to get her out of bed in the morning ((feeding and then watching the fish eat and swim around))

9. peregrine Member Member

aliray Nice thing is for my job I work from home, so I can do all the maintenance while she's at daycare/school that we don't want little hands getting into like chemicals. And I'll admit it. I spend my lunch eating my food watching the fish, that is actually truly relaxing..

10. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I thought it was a 20 already! :D

11. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

Reminds me of when I got my tank on my 5th birthday almost 11 years ago now! I would get up at 5:00am just so I could sit there and watch them before I had to get ready for school.

The tank is really pretty by the way!

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore! We're glad you're here.
    It makes me happy that you happened upon that helpful clerk. Not all of us were that lucky when we started.

You'll love the 20 long. It's got t be my favorite tank size.
    When your existing fish move to the new tank what stock will you put in the 10g? ;)

I like your wife's style. You want a big tank, ok we need a big house. Classic!

13. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

When I get mah own house i want to have a HUGE monter tank maybe 200+. Lol thats the kind of wife I want XD lol very very clasic indeed :D

14. peregrine Member Member

Thanks Lucy . Honestly for what I want for a reef we really do need a bigger house... 100 Gal would be pushing it for space on any wall.. unless we get rid of our second couch in the great room.. hmmmmm that's an idea...

As for what to put in the 10 gal. Current thought it keep around to use as a sump for the FOWLR tank, or use as a QT/med tank as I actually don't have one... But in honesty I have no clue.... Want to put it next to my desk also with something in it ((this is the MTS kicking in)) but before I put anymore fish anywhere I want this tank stable and going well for a few months...

15. Geoff Well Known Member Member

Welcome! I enjoyed reading your story! I hope your 20g comes soon so we all can see what you do with it.

16. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

(Sorry to ask but what does MTS mean?)

17. peregrine Member Member

MTS: Multi Tank Syndrome. ((read it here)) Basically where you get done with 1 tank and feel the urge and need to start another. It's linked on MTS.. or her eis actual link if you re using mobile or didn't link. https://www.fishlore.com/fishdictionary/m.htm#mts

18. Geoff Well Known Member Member

A planted shrimp tank! I just set one up in my home office.

19. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Lol sweet thanks what kind of shrimp tho? Cherrys and sky blue would look cool!!! With a betta? Maybe?

20. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

It's good that you don't know, should I tell you?... It stand for Multiple Tank Syndrome, when one tank is never enough...
    Edit: someone already answered... Oops...