I assume Xiphophorous maculatus Xiphophorous variatus can interbreed?

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Heather M, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Heather M

Heather M Well Known Member Member

So I have a male platy that was sold as an X. variatus, and he shows no interest in breeding with the X. maculatus females. I thought that they had the ability to breed. Could there be something wrong with him?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, all the fish of that genus will breed together. Is he full grown, how long have you had him?

3. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

If he's in good health otherwise I wouldn't be concerned. Despite their reputation, livebearers aren't necessarily trying to breed all the time. I see fry in my tank from time to time but it's not like the males chase the females constantly.

4. AquariaUK

AquariaUK Valued Member Member

I haven't had my livebearers even attempt in 3 months.

5. aylad

aylad Well Known Member Member

I had gotten the impression that X. variatus are probable hybrids of X. maculatus and X. hellerii. I'm not sure about that, though.

I have to say, though, that if they're going that long (3 months) without mating, I'd start looking for the cause: poor water conditions, bad stocking, or illness.

6. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

7. OP
    OP
    Heather M

I got him about 3 weeks ago, and he's been in qt. He showed signs of ick about two days after I got him, so I used coppersafe. I wanted to do a natural treatment, but my heater won't raise the temperature enough. Could his illness have had something to do with his lack of mating? I believe him to be healthy now though (except for some clear stringy poo. Parasites maybe?), and I still haven't seen him mate. I've never seen such a chaste livebearer male. :)

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Clear stringy poop is not a good sign - sounds like parasites. he's probably just not up to it given his condition.

9. OP
    OP
    Heather M

I'll take care of that as soon as I can. Poor little guy!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice