I am upset and need advice.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Maxi1, Jul 28, 2014.

  1. Maxi1Valued MemberMember

    17 days after treating my tank successfully for ich, I thought, it is back today. Early in July I had 2 white spots on one of my pearl gourami. Because I have kuhli loaches in the tank, I was advised to use a product called Herbtana. I raised the temp and dosed it for 10 days as directed. Spots were gone after 2 days and I only lost one amano shrimp. So now it is back and this time I bought Super Ich Cure which has malachite green and Nitrofurazon. Directions say carbon out and dose, wait 48 hours and dose again,wait 48 hours again then do25 percent pwc and put carbon back. Because if the loaches I have cut the dose in half. SO, do you think this will get rid of the ich or should I use the full dose, or treat for longer?? I actually called the API support line and the guy suggested doing the half dose today and if loaches seemed ok, do the full dose in 48 hours. Btw, the Herbtana was recommended by person at the lfs. I had read reviews of it and one or 2 said the ich came back after it was stopped. I am in the process of turning water temp. up to 82from 78. Tank is 55 g with the loaches pearls and several tetras. Thanks!

    Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

  2. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

    You can cure ich without meds by slowly raising tank temp to 86 degrees, and keeping it there for two full weeks. Also, do a gravel vac every couple of days to try to remove all ich spores that have fallen into the gravel.
  3. hollie1505Well Known MemberMember

  4. Maxi1Valued MemberMember

    Ok, how do I know for sure all my fish can take 86 degree temperature for 2 weeks? And after reading the link on ich, I'm still not sure what to do now.

    Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum
  5. JennBoss6New MemberMember

    My GloFish (Not goldfish) had ich about a month ago. I treated the tank same way you did then i added salt and raised the tank up to 80 degrees and left it for two weeks. Of course I did water changes to get that med out and do water kit to keep water stable.
  6. Maxi1Valued MemberMember

    Update: this is day 2 of treatment for ich. I have been reading and decided to try increasing the temp. and continue to use the Super Ich Cure cutting the dose in half (for the loaches), and doing the medicine for 8 doses instead of 4. I just now raised the temp. to 86 and the fish seem to be tolerating this ok. I have a bubbler and lowered the water level so the water splashes, to keep the oxygen higher. Please advise if you think all this is good and/or if I need to do anything differently.

    Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum
  7. hollie1505Well Known MemberMember

    I think it sounds like you are doing a great job! I have my fingers crossed for you.x
  8. k9z3boysValued MemberMember

    we used the super ick full dose before we realized it was hurting the corys! ( ooops)
    then we did half doses from then on.
    for us it worked really really well... I hope it does for you

    salt wasn't an option for the fish we have...and we lost no shrimp and no frogs :)
  9. ricmccWell Known MemberMember

    I would just add that if , in future, you have fish that cannot tolerate an increase in temperature, they should be separated--the increase in temp is intended to speed the ich cycle along, but ich can be treated at lower temps.---there is little to be gained be curing your fish of ich while killing them with temperature.----rick

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice