I am TOO excited to not share!

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Frog pellets are food for frogs, they sink quickly and are loaded with protein(well, depending on brand of course) so they work out well for assassins who can easily get between the cracks in the gravel to scavenge. I will also note for anyone curious, they DO NOT, repeat DO NOT cannibalize. However, they have been known to take on snails 2x their size.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I will also note for anyone curious, they DO NOT, repeat DO NOT cannibalize. However, they have been known to take on snails 2x their size.
I agree. I was told (I believe by Lynda) that she saw assassins take out a large mystery snail by ganging up on him. Also, they couldn't cannibalize, because then they'd have to be the only snail in the tank. That would make things difficult!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just wanted to keep you all posted... Usually if we see a baby snail, we put a shrimp pellet right in front of it; you know, make sure it gets food in case it doesn't find the other ones in time. Well, we did so today, and long story short, a bunch more came out of the woodworks! We're not sure if one left and came back, or if it was two that were the same size, but the rest were all discernably different / showed up at the same time.

So, game time! It's called "spot the baby assassin snails." How many can YOU see?

Edit: Ignore the crazy amount of algae...working on fixing that. ;D

Attachments

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ranges are not appropriate guesses, SK ;D However, you're technically right, there are 4 in the picture

Total, we've seen 5-6, depending on if one was a repeat customer or not. We saw one on the driftwood that was SOOO TINY it was still translucent. We wanted to put him on the food, but we were afraid we would squish him! We put a piece of shrimp pellet near him, but he went the wrong way, unfortunately. However, the pleco soon found it and stirred it all up, so hopefully he found some tidbits to snack on.

Attachments

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No fun...I wanted to play on this. I love looking for "Where's Waldo" games.
Boo I'm sorry! Well, just don't look at the second picture I guess... ;D I'll put up another picture next time. Or, I took a bunch, I'll find another one and put it up later.

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mail me one, ugh. Pond snails are starting to explode in my OEBT tank.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Umm does anyone know how big they should be until they're safe to ship? Though I've only got five or six of them, and there are I think five people ahead of you, so it might not be for a little while. I am definitely feeding them plenty to encourage mating, though.

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've sent baby MTS before when they were like 1/6th of an inch and didn't have problems. But then again, I don't know if assassins that small will be enough to kill the pond snail by itself.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They'll gang up on larger snails. Someone (Lynda I think) told me that a group of assassins killed their giant mystery snail.

Since I'm crazy busy with summer classes now (two 16 week classes condensed into 6 and 4 weeks, respectively) nothing is happening until they're done, so I'll see how they're looking early August when I'm finished. Hopefully they'll keep making more.

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, I wish you the best of luck!

I contacted Harpua about one of those things, hopefully I'll have one too. So if there are no snails for it to eat, it'll eat shrimp pellets?

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you! It's no fun studying 24/7 during summer break, but it'll be worth it in the end...at least that's what I keep telling myself... ;D

About one of which things? Yes, I've been feeding them shrimp pellets, as I'm out of pond snails and still re-breeding them, ramshorns, and MTS. Today I put one right by a baby, and four other babies plus an adult made their way over, and this was in a 55 gallon tank. So I'm not too worried about them finding food.

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
About one of the Assassin snails. That's good to know that they'll eat other things other than live snails. I was wondering how people sustained them once they had killed off all of the other snails.

cichlidmac

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They eat any left over proteins from wafers and other fish food. I still see a baby pond snail here and there, they reproduce like crazy which is fine now that I have assassins.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom