I am TOO excited to not share!

mopuff

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will be asking my local for the Assassin. He could prolly order them for me. I have soooo many pond snails, atleast now i have a GSPuffer to feed some to. I also have an abundance of large apple snails. So many in fact I took about 50 to a local golf course and just dumped them in one of the lakes! Now, there are snails eggs every where. Do the Assassins eat aquarium plantings? That may be important.

featherblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm in an area with assassins not avail at the LFS......please keep us updated on your progress and potential overpopulation....my moms big tank would love one or two.....prefer no breeding pair....too much competition in the community tank. These guys seem an awesome addition to a clean up crew.....especially when every new plant she gets brings a new batch of hitchhikers (pron pond snails....been manually removing em)

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm in an area with assassins not avail at the LFS......please keep us updated on your progress and potential overpopulation....my moms big tank would love one or two.....prefer no breeding pair....too much competition in the community tank. These guys seem an awesome addition to a clean up crew.....especially when every new plant she gets brings a new batch of hitchhikers (pron pond snails....been manually removing em)
Of course! I just want to build up a bit larger of a population first. Also I'll need to figure out how to sex them too.. ;D

So for my own memory... AmazonPassion, ladygoodwrench, featherblue, TaylorR, pirahnah3, Rogue, ZeeZ.

However you will need to have 50 posts by then, in accordance to FishLore rules.

Last edited:

AmazonPassion

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just want one...I don't want the Assassin snails to breed because I don't want to worry about finding something else that would eat assassins if their population explodes in my tank

featherblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
With as many questions as ive got I should have no problem getting enough posts by then....I keep watching everyones post on fun mosses hoping some are left when I get that far!

mopuff

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so after much reading about Assassins yesterday.. you said something that i learned . How to sex them... the females are bulkier and have a more rounded shell where as the males are longer and thinner. One of them , cant remember which has the stripes closer together... think it is the female? check that , not remembering which one was which on the stripe thing.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
so after much reading about Assassins yesterday.. you said something that i learned . How to sex them... the females are bulkier and have a more rounded shell where as the males are longer and thinner. One of them , cant remember which has the stripes closer together... think it is the female? check that , not remembering which one was which on the stripe thing.
I'll have to look into that, thanks. One of ours is definitely larger than the other, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the uh genitalia of that one, so I think it's the male. ;D Maybe he's just a bit older? I've noticed that his stripes are less defined, but I haven't really paid attention to who's are closer together.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Did you do anything special to encourage them breed? I've had assassin snail for a couple of years and I've never seen any babies. Is it possible that my guppies or tetras would eat the babies?
Nope.. I'm kind of surprised they did, because I make a point to not overfeed, and I don't have any pest snails left for them to eat, so they're really only fed when I remember to toss some shrimp pellets in (which I obviously do more often now). How many do you have? Is it possible you have only one gender? I can't imagine guppies or neons eating snails. I saw a platy peck one off a rock, but I can't imagine them actually hurting them to the point of them not making it. I think someone earlier posted about babies havig a lower survival rate because they can't find enough to eat, maybe that's your problem?

TaylorR

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you Get more i might buy some for you to help me keep my tanks clean Or just take some off your hands but i doubt you would do that lol. And the picture you took is adorable

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you Get more i might buy some for you to help me keep my tanks clean Or just take some off your hands but i doubt you would do that lol. And the picture you took is adorable
Why thank you! It's hard to tell how many there are, especially since they're so tiny and they blend in. I'll add you to the list!

AmazonPassion

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kinezumi the Assassin snail breeder...look at you ;-0 Are you going to make this your full time business after graduating college? I can see it now, Kinezumi Assassin Snails International, LLC

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Assassins breed easy, just not fast. I don think you will EVER have to worry about a explosion of them, in fact id aim for a pair so they keep their population up. Otherwise youll have to keep buying new snails when they die. They are carnivores mostly. Mine eat spinach occasionally and cucumber. BUT snails and frog pellets make up their primary diet. So long as they get protein their good.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Assassins breed easy, just not fast. I don think you will EVER have to worry about a explosion of them, in fact id aim for a pair so they keep their population up. Otherwise youll have to keep buying new snails when they die. They are carnivores mostly. Mine eat spinach occasionally and cucumber. BUT snails and frog pellets make up their primary diet. So long as they get protein their good.
What are frog pellets? Pellets for frogs, or pellets made from frogs?

Kinezumi the Assassin snail breeder...look at you ;-0 Are you going to make this your full time business after graduating college? I can see it now, Kinezumi Assassin Snails International, LLC
It has a nice ring to it

mrHDpants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nope.. I'm kind of surprised they did, because I make a point to not overfeed, and I don't have any pest snails left for them to eat, so they're really only fed when I remember to toss some shrimp pellets in (which I obviously do more often now). How many do you have? Is it possible you have only one gender? I can't imagine guppies or neons eating snails. I saw a platy peck one off a rock, but I can't imagine them actually hurting them to the point of them not making it. I think someone earlier posted about babies havig a lower survival rate because they can't find enough to eat, maybe that's your problem?
I've had up to 4 at one time although I am now down to just 1. It's possible that I had all males or all females - I never figured out how to sex them. I wouldn't imagine that any of my fish could eat the grown-ups but was wondering if maybe they could have eaten the babies before they had a chance to develop a hard shell. I think you're probably right though that I never had babies either due to not feeding enough or having all the same gender of snails. Very exciting that yours are breeding and by the sound of all the feedback you may have found a new way to pay for this hobby!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've had up to 4 at one time although I am now down to just 1. It's possible that I had all males or all females - I never figured out how to sex them. I wouldn't imagine that any of my fish could eat the grown-ups but was wondering if maybe they could have eaten the babies before they had a chance to develop a hard shell. I think you're probably right though that I never had babies either due to not feeding enough or having all the same gender of snails. Very exciting that yours are breeding and by the sound of all the feedback you may have found a new way to pay for this hobby!
Unfortunately, assassins aren't very expensive snails. ;D My LFS sells them for about $4, so I'm thinking that I'll put them around that? (However, I owe people some free ones in exchange for goods I received, so there won't be any profit on the first few. )

According to an earlier post, the females are a bit bigger than males? I'll have to keep an eye out once I have more snails.

In order to more easily keep track, I'm thinking of starting a thread in the BSTF forum, saying "post if you want some when I have enough," but since chit-chat in that forum is frowned upon, I'm not sure that'd be okay... so for now, here will work.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom