I am TOO excited to not share!

Discussion in 'kinezumi89' started by kinezumi89, Jul 5, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    MY ASSASSIN SNAILS HAD BABIES!!

First of all, I believe assassins are not hermaphroditic, and you need a male and a female to have baby snails. I only have two, so it was already pretty lucky that I got one of each. Second of all, they made pretty quick work of all the pond snails and ramshorns in the tank, so I've been afraid they haven't been getting enough to eat. But judging by the two baby snails I saw, I guess so! I read that the survival rate is usually pretty low due to not being able to find enough food, so I think I'll drop a couple shrimp pellets in every night (I usually only feed every couple days) so they hopefully get enough to eat.

Luckily I'm breeding pond snails in my 10 gallon tank, and I'll be getting some MTS in the mail (very shortly, hopefully!) and I'll breed those too. Maybe if I get a whole bunch, I can sell them to my LFS...

Sorry for the cruddy picture... the first one I saw was pecked at by a platy and it fell in the gravel, so I couldn't get a picture. I had actually just turned the light off when I saw this one in the back corner. Not a location conducive to picture-taking, unfortunately. It's about a quarter-inch long; the other one is probably only an eighth-inch.

Attached Files:

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Congrats...I might be ordering from you.

3. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    I'm hoping they'll keep breeding! I plan to feed them more regularly to encourage that. And with the food snails I'm also raising (a species in each tank, haha) hopefully they'll be very happy snails.

Maybe we can work out a trade, some shrimp for some snails?

4. AmazonPassion

Ratings:
    +549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Okay.

If you are looking for foster parents for your assassin snails, I'll volunteer. LOL

5. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    LOL Have to make sure they're friendly and sociable before they go to their new homes.

Although, since you sent me meds that saved my shrimpies, I probably owe you a snail or two anyways.

6. AmazonPassion

Ratings:
    +549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Do you see alot of empty snail shells in your tank?

7. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    We used to have a ton of snails; every time we turned the light on in the morning there would be a dozen or so of them just on the front glass. (Well, acrylic.) We would pick out all the ones we could find every day, but there were still tons of them. Once we added the assassins, the numbers steadily decreased until we just saw tiny ramshorns, no pond snails. (I read that assassins don't like to eat the really small snails, so they wait until they're bigger.) Now, I rarely see any snails at all. They were all too small to see shells in the substrate (they blend in pretty well) but at the beginning we saw empty shells. When I first got them I actually tossed a pond snail in the bag with them...you know, I wanted to see if they "worked" They sure did...

I don't know if I should wait until I have a whole bunch of pond snails and put them all in at once, so maybe they can start a consistent population going, or to just dump a few in every other day or something. I have pond snails (and itty bitty ramshorns) in my 10 gallon, a couple ramshorns in the 2.5 (though they're breeding really slowly) and I'll be putting the MTS in the 5.5 gallon when I (hopefully) get them this weekend.

8. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    Just started
    just over feed the tank a bit and they will come back, I would be willing to bet theres still a few hiding out somewhere in the tank. If not add some from the colony and just feed feed feed.

9. mopuff

mopuffNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Love the assassin baby story. Ive never seen that type of snail. Did you order them?

10. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    Pirahnah, I've been doing my best to not overfeed, but of course I can change that ;D Especially if I'll have the opportunity to sell them.

mopuff, my LFS had them. They were $5 or so each. I got them because I had too many pest snails and I couldn't manually get rid of them...but now I want more, so I can feed them to my assassins! I'll be picking up a dozen or so MTS tomorrow.

11. AmazonPassion

Ratings:
    +549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I can't even find Assassin snails in any LFS around me. If I wanted to get them, I would have to order online.

12. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    It would be hard, with this heat! (Well, it's hot here, anyway.) I just got some MTS in the mail; I had them shipped to my parents' house (don't trust the postal service in the city) and my dad said the water was probably 95 degrees, and all the snails were closed up. He slowly added some cooler water and eventually they all came out, thankfully.

Hopefully I'll have a sizable quantity of assassins soon! I'm not really sure how quickly they reproduce.

13. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +60
    Experience:
    3 years
    Assassins actually have a pretty solid survival rate imo. They dont lay egg clusters like other snails, just a handful of individual eggs, look like pink spots. The babies are microscopic almost for the first month or so, very very tiny. There could easily be more.

14. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    I hope so! They blend in pretty well to the substrate, so I can really only see them if they're on a rock or driftwood or something.

15. cichlidmac

cichlidmacWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They love to bury themselves in sand also, in nature they use sand to track other snails crawling by. If you have sand you may not see babies for awhile after birth.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

16. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    Nope, I have gravel. However I saw one disappear into the tiniest crevice between two pebbles, so they can definitely hide well.

17. soltarianknight

Ratings:
    +60
    Experience:
    3 years
    Yup. If you just slightly over feed it will help the babies get food.(doing this just means letting some food hit the gravel.)

18. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    I swear, no matter how much I put in, they always grab it all before it starts to sink. I think I'm going to put shrimp pellets in every night. These things blow up to like 10x original size and get all fluffy and make a mess, so hopefully if I stagger a couple around the tank, the babies will find some.

19. AmazonPassion

Ratings:
    +549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    How big are the pond snails you feed them? Does the adult assassin snails eat the baby pond snails? because I have lots of baby snails and pick out the bigger pond snails by hand when I see them.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  20. soltarianknight

Ratings:
    +60
    Experience:
    3 years
    I dont think they start eating snails until they themselves are visible. Plus, pond snail babies grow SO fast. But, the excess food will promote microscopic organisms to grow which the young snails can eat. Shrimp or catfish pellets would probably be fine.