I am tired of green water :(

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ILikeFishies, Dec 19, 2012.

1. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishies Valued Member Member

Okay guys, i dont know if this could be a coincidence, but ever since i bought some flame moss tied to some drift wood the water in my tank got really green, I just did an 80% water change, the water looked all nice and clear again, but after a few days it got all green again =/. Is the cause of the green water the flame moss in my tank? I also have some flame moss carpets, an unknown plant lol and a plant which seems to be a water wisteria if im not mistaken.
    My tank is next to a window but the curtains are always closed so no sunlight there, and i usually turn on the lights for about 9 hours - 12 hours a day. Sometimes i turn them off when theres no fish viewing going on.

But i really dont like the green water, makes my tank look kinda dirty =/

Any idea whats cause the green water?.

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I would say the 9-12 hours of light and the tank being near the window. Even though you have curtains covering there can be slivers of sunlight getting through. Are you also using ferts? Excess nutrients also causes green water.

I would reduce your photoperiod and do another WC.

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I would reduce the lighting to 8 hours per day and if the problem doesn't correct itself, reduce the lighting by another hour and so on.

Lighting is the issue and not the addition of your plants.

For a quick temporary fix, you can use Micron Filter Pads in your filter, cut to fit and it will remove the green water. These pads are reusable, rinse them, soak them in bleach water solution for 48 hours, rinse them, let them air dry and they are ready to use again. Do not wash them in the washing machine due to possible soap issues:
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/209569/product.web
    These pads will remove Algae Blooms, like you are experiencing, but they will not remove a bacterial bloom.

https://www.fishlore.com/CloudyWater.htm

Ken

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

This will take care of it.

5. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

wow that uv sterilizer is very expensive. I will reduce the amount of time i leave the lights on, I was thinking maybe i could just turn on the lights when it gets dark.

I have seen some strange bottles at the fish shop, and its said to clear green water in your fish tank, but i did not recognise the brand at all so i didn't buy it. And i wasnt sure whether its safe for my fish, because some solutions to green water i've heard of were usually adding these things to your filter, but never adding liquid solutions, I'm not too sure though.

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That's right you're in malaysia. It's cheap as far as UV sterilizers go.

7. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

I was also thinking that the water colour, does have a yellowish tint to it, but definitely more green.

i've read that it could also be decaying plants. Well my plants aren't decaying, but they do look a little brownish in some areas.

8. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I would not recommend using chemicals to remove the green water. It could be risky to your fish.

Ken

9. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

UV will take care of it but shouldn't be necessary. Do as many water changes as u can, 1 a day would be good. Also light only on for 6 hours tell this stops.

Like said no chemicals to remove it.

What kind of light bulbs do u have on this tank?

10. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Wood normally stains the water brown/yellow which activated carbon can help remove.

Green is normally suspended algae with is cured with the uv filter. Never use the chemicals, very bad idea for your fish and bacteria.

11. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

I like when wood stains the water a lil. It makes it look more natural and should also make the fish a lil more comfortable.

12. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

i would take a picture of how my tank water looks, but in photos they dont look greenish yellow. I was thinking of getting activated carbon the next time i visit the fish shop.

:D thanks guys

13. Belkar Bitterleaf

Belkar Bitterleaf Valued Member Member

Get some blackout curtains, or move the tank to an area where the sun wont hit it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice