I am stressed and my Cory is hurt

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok-- I had hornwort in my tank. It went crazy! My cory got two little hornwort "leaves/spikes" caught in his mouth. I was going to net him and pull them out with tweezers, but my husband thinks I will hurt him worse. He said if I just let it go, then it would work its way out of the cory and wouldn't hurt the fish as bad. So I said OK-- which is killing me because I can tell that Mr. Magoo is hurting. Anyway, I pulled all of the hornwort out of the tank, and released a torrent of little hornwort leaves everywhere. I had to clean my filter, take it apart, clean the impeller and then vacuum the tank. I still didn't get it all. Then to top it all off, I found 4 snails. My father-in-law killed them for me. So I am stressed!! And worried about my poor little cory cat.

Any suggestions???

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not a plant expert yet, but because it is plant mater it should soften as it decays until he can either get rid of it or chew it up. I would say you would do more damage to him by trying to handle him then just letting him be. Handling him would definitely harm his slime coat which would cause him a lot of stress. Also trying to control him long enough to not his is barbels with the tweezers.... ouch I'm cringing just thinking about it. I would give it a few days, he should be able to work it out before then. Not an expert opinion... just my 2 cents.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well that is just what my husband says. So that is what I am going to do, because it is very rare that Ben is ever wrong! But it just hurts me to think that Mr. Magoo is hurting. He is usually so active, and now he just lays around. It happened just a few hours ago. My father-in-law who is also never wrong agrees with Ben that since it is plant material it should decay and come out. I am just afraid that he might die. :'( I really hope not.

Thanks for the input-- I feel a little better. Now if I could only get all of the Hornwort debris out of the tank I could feel really good.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. My cory's have very quickly become my favorite fish too. They are just so well mannered and cute. My tetras are doing back flips and acting like dolphin and I just keep checking out the cory's. Hang in there and all the best of luck to Mr. Magoo!

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that...corys are often taken for granted but they're actually now and then rather delicate little fish. You only acted on advice so I'm sorry you were steered the wrong way.
I agree with the other advice, good luck with your little fellow.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
poefox said:
I'm sorry to hear that...corys are often taken for granted but they're actually now and then rather delicate little fish. You only acted on advice so I'm sorry you were steered the wrong way.
I agree with the other advice, good luck with your little fellow.
which one should I do?? Sorry I didn't understand.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry actually--I meant your husband's advice.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thanks for the clarification. I thought that is what you meant but was unsure. It will be hard, but I am going to have to let it work its way out.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Genie, I'm sorry Mr. Magoo isn't feeling well. :'( It seems like any time our fish are hurt we want to fix them, stressing them all the more. My suggestion is to try to cut stress in this tank. Now that you have removed as much of the hornwort as you can, just let things settle, keep lights dim, do water changes to keep nitrates down but quietly so the mood in the tank stays calm. You might put in some stress coat, or antibiotic to keep infection down, but I am less in favor of medication as I am just keeping the water crystal clear and letting his system deal with the situation naturally. Keep us up to date on his condidion. Happy Easter.

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the advice. It helps to know that others agree with what you are doing. It is hard to see your pets hurting. I appreciate everyones help and I will keep you posted.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom