I Am Soooo Upset! Important

1. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know if it is just this last set of fish that is cursed or what. Today, after 7 days with no fish loss, I found 2 dead Harlies. So I was already upset. I decided to break down the qt completely. Going to give it a good scrub. Then put the fish back in. I had just added my sick honey gourami back to the qt yesterday. So there were 2 honeys and 5 Harlies. Put them all in a 1 gallon container. Walked into the kitchen to make room on the counter for the temporary tank, and my kitten decides to pick that moment to try to get onto the table top. Knocks the entire 1 gallon container off of the table with all 7 fish in it. All onto the floor. I literally screamed and my son came running. Yep all 7 fish on the floor. So the only thing I could think to do is scoop them up and put them in the main tank. The original qt was already empty, the betta tank was half full (don't want them in with the bettas anyways) and the 30 gallon was half full. The 1 gallon container totally shattered. (It was an acrylic glo-fish tank, I use it as a hospital tank)

I guess time will tell if everyone survives. Now I have potentially sick fish in with healthy ones. They had all been quarantined about 2-3 weeks, and the HG that was bloated, I believe had round worms but hasn't had any issues for a few days. Soooo maybe just maybe they will all be ok.

I literally am sitting here in complete shock.

Omg! Ellie just fell out my daughter's bedroom window. Pushed the screen out. Seriously this cat! It's a ground floor bedroom, but what the heck!?! Gaahhh

2. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

Looks like your kitten will be hitting the QT cage.

Agh, sorry for all your troubles! It's been a giant mishap after another!

3. heeerefishyfishy Member Member

Ugh, how frustrating! I hope the fish will be ok and your kitten will grow up quickly ;)

4. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

You'll get past this, your such a good fishkeeper you can do this.

5. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

She got put in kitty jail so I could clean up this mess. Which was she was in my daughter's bedroom, I didn't know the window was open. So that was a total fail.

My daughter brought her home without asking, and she will grow quickly. Today is a bad day clearly lol

6. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

What a nightmare! I've been watching the other thread. I think it's likely that those harlequins are not carrying pathogens at this point. Maybe just weak from stress or bad stock? I hope everyone makes it! Cats are just wonderful, but somehow they always know precisely the wrong thing to do...

7. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Wow! Hope things do look up!

8. Over It Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry! We all have bad days, as a matter of fact I just had one yesterday. Luckily it's gets better. Just hang in there and remember there is light at the end of the tunnel. ;)

9. WishNixie Well Known Member Member

Oooh man, Allie. What a bad day. I am sooooo sorry Ellie got herself into trouble today, and HOPEFULLY your fish won't have to pay the ultimate price for her shenannigans, lol... smh. I raised a few kittens a couple summers ago, that I rescued out of a sticker patch on the side of the road.. three adorable, flea riddled cuties... raised them up, vacced them, and found them three fur-ever homes, and granted, sometimes I sorely miss the one that was with me the longest.. but MAN, he was such a trouble maker, lol... so THAT I do not miss, haha. Oi.

Kittens are NO JOKE.. lol.
    KittenTrio.jpg

This is the one I miss the most though.. Sunny.
    Sunny1.jpg

10. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Yes I think it was weak stock. They have no outward symptoms of illness at all. And to lose so many of them, even with good water and good food. Plus preventative meds. Something else is at play. Although 2 of them look gravid, so they must have been feeling ok before they were dropped.

My honey gourami that is bloated honestly I am thinking that she may be gravid, also. Not bloated. She is filling out more and appears more square than bloated. She is eating and pooping normally. She definitely had worms at the beginning, but I haven't seen any in about 4 days and she has been doing much better for the last 2 days. Hopefully they do survive. They are a good looking pair.

I refilled the qt tank, after a good scrub and vinegar wash. Not sure what I am going to do with it yet. I may just separate my bettas into a 10 gallon each. I am not buying any new fish for awhile. I need a break from the constant worry.

11. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Yeah. I have just returned to the hobby after a several year break, and it appears that the stock off the fish farms these days are not the same quality that they used to be. Not entirely sure about this, but it just seems that way. Good luck!

12. heeerefishyfishy Member Member

Awwwwwww! No wonder you miss that lil orange face!

13. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Ellie is definitely the sweetest thing, except today she is a wildebeest. It hasn't stopped. She just tipped over my soda, and went after my taco salad. She just got her butt locked in the garage for a couple hours.

ab53afb6091ad165637589af2ccfea41.jpg

14. filtered_light Member Member

As a fan of both cats and fish, I empathize. Hope kitty calms down and fish heal up!

15. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I ended up losing one Rasbora over night, but the others seem to be ok.

Ellie did not calm down until 2am. Not sure what got into her. I am covered in scratches from her today. Spray bottle was in full effect most of the afternoon. I hate using it, but nothing was working. I even let her outside on purpose to see if that would chill her out, all she did was cry at the door. She didn't want to be alone out there lol

16. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

That's why I think people should always get two.
    Nobody normal can keep up with kitten :)

Sometimes they just die for no reason. I had 2 out of 13 just die, the others have been totally fine for months.
    Sorry about your awful day

17. popsikle Initiate Member

First, sorry for your loss =(

Second, kittens... sigh. The head pouncing, the knocking over anything with water in it (my 3yo cat still does this) and the days they go find kittie dealer and come back on kittie crack... When my 7yo was a kitten he would sit on my desk next to the tank in the living room and wait for me to open the lid to feed and then would jump from desk, off me, and hang from the outside of the tank swatting at the gourami in it. I learned that the cats would much rather have some of them temptation treats than a fish and ended up having to feed the cat treats every time i fed my fish. My cat got reaaaaaly fat for a while. lol.

18. minervalong Well Known Member Member

In my experience, some cats know how to cause trouble and thrive on it. Like my Peeves, who was totally appropriately named. If she could make a mess, she would. If she could get into my yarn, she would. If she could topple my coffee cup, she would. The silly thing ended up committing suicide by tearing through a screened window into the yard which was a no go for cats with the dogs I had then.

19. Herkimur Well Known Member Member

Grey tabbies definitely have a ton of energy and LOVE being outdoors hunting mice.
    We've had ours for 13 years now and he still gets bored quickly.

Thank Goodness ours can't jump anymore or we wouldn't have fish.

A big dog crate and a handful of catnip in there used to be his 'punishment'.
    [​IMG]

20. ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

@AllieSten so how are you doing after the chaos? How are your fish doing? How is the crazy cat doing? Did she calm down?