55 Gallon Tank I am so exited! I got a new juvenile red tailed shark!

Fishkeeper25

for the longest time I thought that red tailed sharks were aggressive to other fish but turns out they are peaceful with other fish and I was mixing them up with raindbow sharks

BigManAquatics

Oh the aggressiveness usually starts later on when they get bigger!

Upvote 0

Fishkeeper25

i did some research it said with the same species but he is just a community tank the only of his species. who knows my dad brought him home as a surprise and so now he/she is swimming around pretty fish he/she is

Upvote 0

peachsonas

Pics!! Please show your new friend off! :D

Upvote 0

Fishkeeper25

will do!

IMG_20210701_085540.jpg

not the best picture but he/she is a very acctive swimmer
which brings me to the question, how can you lail whether the red tailed shark is male or female?

Upvote 0

jmaldo

Silly me!
When I started I saw a RTS and had to have it. Of course, did not do research. It was small and fine in the 55g community. Grew fast and after 6 months or so eventually took over the tank. It would chase the Black skirts relentlessly. Ended up trading it to my LFS.
A not so good pic...

Red Tailed Shark.jpg

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

Fishboy32

I thought at first you said a redtail CATFISH and I had a mini heart attack thinking of the redtail in 55 gallon but then I found out it was a redtail SHARK so phew

Upvote 0

Spudsssy

Iv kept a few different red tailed sharks over the years and they all had different temperaments... I consider 55gal min for community tank and 75gal safer.... They sometimes single out a fish they don't like lol... I never had major problems with them. Just make sure you provide a large cave and plant cover around it. He will probably claim around 1\4 of the tank as his territory.... Or if you're very unlucky all of it. Only time will tell.

Upvote 0

Fishkeeper25

I thought at first you said a redtail CATFISH and I had a mini heart attack thinking of the redtail in 55 gallon but then I found out it was a redtail SHARK so phew
wish I had enough room for one haha they're pretty
Iv kept a few different red tailed sharks over the years and they all had different temperaments... I consider 55gal min for community tank and 75gal safer.... They sometimes single out a fish they don't like lol... I never had major problems with them. Just make sure you provide a large cave and plant cover around it. He will probably claim around 1\4 of the tank as his territory.... Or if you're very unlucky all of it. Only time will tell.
he has a bit of plant cover plus some wood he likes to hang out under.

Upvote 0

Yeoy

I don't know if you can accurately sex them but as far as I know they're basically impossible to breed in the home aquarium anyway. It might always be a mystery.

Upvote 0

Fishkeeper25

I don't know if you can accurately sex them but as far as I know they're basically impossible to breed in the home aquarium anyway. It might always be a mystery.
true, I knew about the hard to breed thing but I wasnt intening on breeding him/her I just want to know whether to call it a him or a her because "It" doesnt sound right

Upvote 0

SixThreeOh

My RTS was hyper aggressive and would attack everything, including much larger cichlids. My rainbow was super chill and really loved hanging out with tiger and Odessa barbs.

Upvote 0

GlennO

true, I knew about the hard to breed thing but I wasnt intening on breeding him/her I just want to know whether to call it a him or a her because "It" doesnt sound right

Males are a bit slimmer than females but this is really only noticeable when older. They are a beautiful fish, I’ve tried a few times with them but it’s never worked out in the end. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Dunk2

I’ve had this Rainbow in a community tank for about 2 years.

He gets kinda wound up at feeding time, but generally a very peaceful fish that keeps mostly to himself.

Often just depends on the individual fish.

A340B64B-9FEC-409D-9428-7ED82D139B29.jpeg

Upvote 0

GlennO

I’ve seen it mentioned that Rainbow sharks are generally a little less pugnacious than RTS. Don’t know for sure I’ve only tried RTS.

Upvote 0

JavaMossMan

You want to know how aggressive these guys are? I had one in a tank with two convict cichlids that were breeding. They would go out to attack the RTS and it would end up with RTS chasing them back into their corner. I eventually had to separate them into different tanks.

Upvote 0

Fishkeeper25

been about a month now hes fine

Upvote 0

qldmick

I have kept both and its definitely the RTS sharks that are more aggressive. They grow quite fast and soon become hyper aggressive. I keep them with african cichlids (aggressive) but had to remove the one below as he was to rough for some of my female Africans. These girls are now bigger and I have just added another small RTB Shark, hoping that will work out for me.

P1210497 - Copy.JPG
EDIT
Just found a pic of another RTB Shark from the past, another mixed african tank,

PA071073.JPG

Upvote 0

Fishkeeper25

will do pictures. he is very down to earth and spends most of his time in his little corner of plants and hanging out with my betta scotty (Scottish)

Upvote 0

JavaMossMan

One of my favorite fish. Expect to have it for a very, very, very long time. They are extremely hardy which may be an understatement. My red tail shark was in the first batch of fish when I started fish keeping. It survived convict cichlids, heater malfunction, newbie mistakes, not properly cycled tank, etc. It lived to about 13-14 years old. I knew someone that had a red tail shark and he never fed the fish or did any water changes for months (he was away for school). The water evaporated to less than half the tank and that fish was still alive.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Ouse
  • Question
Replies
Views
LilBlub
  • Question
Replies