I am seriously thinking of just giving up on swordtails

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As some of you know, I lost my entire first breeding group of swordtails to mycobacterium. Needless to say, it sucked the big one and was really sad when I euthanized the last few survivors.

I got a new tank, set everything up, added fish, and everyone was doing great for a good long while. I even added in my huge pregnant Russian Red Lace guppy girl and a huge group of healthy fry from her (yes some of them got eaten but now the swordtails just don't eat fry as they've learned not to bother since the larger ones always escape).

Now the fry are popping up with white fuzzy feces. One of the male swords appears to have internal parasites (and bright red gills which no other fish in the tank is exhibiting). I've been treating for hex as I happen to know it's very possible he was exposed to it. How convenient that he showed no symptoms until the day I added my very best guppy line to the tank (and no, they did not infect him, he literally popped up with sunken sides the evening after I added my girl)

Two other swordtail females have started showing symptoms as well. Metro isn't working, so I'm kind of lost as to what to try next. Also the one male's red gills are starting to freak me out. He also developed mild fin rot today I have no idea what's wrong with him and the others at this point. Pretty bummed.

So I'm thinking, if I lose another tank of swords (and my beautiful guppy girl and her babies), I probably will not get more. It seems even the best bred ones still seem to have health issues. All of these guys are high quality show swordtails with excellent breeding and from a few different breeders. I just don't get it

Oh and to top it all off, I lost a guppy boy that my boyfriend gave me for my birthday. He had a sunken abdomen. All other fish in his tank thus far are fine, but I'm worried something bad may have gotten into it somehow. I did lose a few of the swordtails in that tank a while back (separate from my main swordtail tank that's having all the issues). But I'm pretty sure the guppies brought something into the tank, as it only happened to a few and only after I'd QTd everyone and put them in together. Haven't told bf yet. He'll be upset when I do

Sorry, I've been bummed about this for a few days. I just wanted to vent

I guess the good news is, the bettas are all doing well, even the coccinas are eating, and the rubra are spawning. The Jenynsia Onca are bickering over girls and territory, but doing it very healthily and with gusto lol. And the Purple Moscow guppy girls are chowing down on fry left and right and popping out more every day.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to hear you're having this problem. It's really disheartening to have problems keeping a species we really like.

Seems like every few years we hear about a specific fish that is having problems thriving and being sick. for awhile it was Gouramis maybe now it's swordtails.

Carol

Teishokue

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For future references, keep prized fished in a different tank. And always keep 2 pairs in a secondary tank incase of a wipe.

Use less chemicals and there has to be something wrong in what you are doing, If your tanks suddenly get parasites; this means you are touching the tanks too much, I do highly recommend; once a tank is established, kindly watch it without touching it <-- iknow its hard to do.

Tonia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am so sorry to hear about your swords, JB. You had chosen some gorgeous ones for breeding and as Butterfly said, it is disheartening. I know you take better care of your fish than many people do for their kids and I do hope that you are able to get past the illness and develop the fish you've been dreaming of.

Teishokue

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
shayla1 said:
I am so sorry to hear about your swords, JB. You had chosen some gorgeous ones for breeding and as Butterfly said, it is disheartening. I know you take better care of your fish than many people do for their kids and I do hope that you are able to get past the illness and develop the fish you've been dreaming of.
that's the issue lol. as we say "we're not keeping fish, we're keeping water"

OP
junebug

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Teishokue the only thing I have done to their tank recently is add emersed growth plants (and add the fish from QT). I rarely touch anything - that's why my wild bettas do so well. I leave my tanks alone.

I suspect the one male had parasites and/or a bacterial infection (still leaning towards parasites given the overall symptoms) and was not symptomatic for a while. Or I just didn't notice because he hadn't gotten skinny yet.

What alarms me is that the treatment is not having any effect. I've lost several fry including a previously completely healthy black berlin baby whom I found in rough shape dead in the tank yesterday. This means either that he doesn't have hex or that his hex is med resistant. But I'm fairly sure he has hex and has spread it to the other fish.

It's just really a bummer. My two beautiful lyretail koI girls were his intended mates and are likely now affected. One reabsorbed her last brood and hasn't shown signs of pregnancy again. The other is still huge but hasn't gotten bigger in two weeks and doesn't appear to be any closer to squaring off. Not sure what that's about.

OP
junebug

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, the one sick male died yesterday . And more fry are missing. Going to try treating for bacterial issues now. If treatment for bacterial issues helps, I'm going to be bummed because that might mean it's mycobacterium AGAIN. Grr.

At least I've been insanely paranoid about cross contamination since my last outbreak. So I know I haven't inadvertently infected any other tanks.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So sorry to hear about your swordtails. I first saw your post a couple of nights ago but could not respond what with all of the complications at our house. (Curse this tendinitis--my hands swelled up yet again).

The good news is that all of the swordtails that I got from you are doing very well. They are mostly chubby and happy fry eaters although Flag seems to have fallen behind in his duties. I have now 12 Girardinus Metallicus fry--this in the tank where I put down all of the adult females in an attempt to control a still unidentified disease outbreak. If that tank continues to do well in another six months, I may gift you with some as the embargo with Cuba does not seem to be about to end. New, they are not colorful, but I had a surprise – – my second-generation male fry that disappeared then reappeared. He never got the black chin line, only a touch of black on his dorsal fin, and is otherwise a solid gold morph. He is the first one observed in this population that came from the lab that I know of

OP
junebug

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's awesome, ec!

This tank is actually not the one that housed the group of swords yours came from. This is my koI tank The reds left over from your group are in a separate house and are all doing just fine since the unidentified guppy disease tapered off lol. The three adult girls are fat and happy and the little juvie I have left is growing.... very slowly LOL.

Anyway the koI tank looks grI'm today. More fry gone And the second lyretail female that was preggy seems to have reabsorbed her brood as well - not a good sign I hope whatever it is, it runs its course soon.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So sorry to hear about the continuing koI losses . I hope you get enough fry from them ultimately to recover.

Now that would be a whole other thread – – recovering from Mycobacteriosis!

OP
junebug

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
endlercollector said:
So sorry to hear about the continuing koI losses . I hope you get enough fry from them ultimately to recover.

Now that would be a whole other thread – – recovering from Mycobacteriosis!
Assuming that's what it is. I'm not convinced yet If it is, the progression is not what I'd expect given my last outbreak. I would assume it's a whole new and different strain at least, so not my fault, but still

I'm bummed enough about the swordtails, but all of my guppy fry are dropping. Which is terrible, the largest ones were all just starting to color up and two of them were looking really nice.
bolivianbaby - I was trying (again) to build a line of fancy show quality koI and showa swords, with hifin and lyretail genes. I love wild swordtails though. I imagine they are much healthier than the ornamental varieties.

OP
junebug

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lol at least I know I'm not alone.

I can't even manage to get any babies from them and both of the lyretail girls arrived preggo. But they both have reabsorbed now and nobody else is gravid.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I spoke too quickly – – my gold morph suddenly has a bit of black on his chest today, wouldn't you just know it?

But yes, we're all tired of wondering what The tank is going to throw at us next. Livebearers were supposed to have more fun!

OP
junebug

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well things seem to be a slight bit better. There are a few fry left, all of the largest ones that had the white mucusy poop, but they are eating voraciously and fat. They still have white poop though.

One of the lyretail swords isn't doing too hot. The others seem more or less okay. Everyone is getting antibiotics at the moment as the regimen of anti-parasitics had seemingly no effect. We'll see how that goes. The really great news in terms of overall health though is that the russian red lace snakeskin guppy girl is hugely pregnant. Which is funny to me because a few days ago she was still in her post-pregnancy skinny period. But apparently she's still all good, or she wouldn't be preggy. We'll see how her new batch of fry fares. I estimate about two weeks to delivery.

I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. I think (and I could be wrong) that the initial issue was a parasite, which all of the fish likely got with the possibly exception of the guppy girl, as she was the last added to the tank before I noticed symptoms in the original platy/sword cross later that night. Fry are obviously more susceptible due to lesser immune systems. Anyway. It seems that the parasites may possibly have caused secondary infections in the intestines leading to the continued white mucus issue. The good news in my mind is that the fry who have the white poop seem otherwise healthy and the platy/sword cross who initially had the problem (he has since passed on) did not have the same "kind" of white mucusy discharge as they have. Theirs is quite solid and stiff, his was feces interlinked with mucus.

OP
junebug

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Things still relatively stable today. I think I've lost a few more fry but none of the adult fish appear sick. I may just start euthanizing fry with white poo to help stop the spread of whatever this is.... Poor little babies. I think my favorite one is gone, the most colorful which was I think about to sex out as a male. Anyway.

That's where we're at.

New Threads