I am ready to kill the PETCO near me

1. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

So I went to the PETCO near me today so I can get some brine shrimp for my Betta( Airey ) I give him them once a week and I also wanted to look at some java moss for the ghost shrimp I just got today from liveaqua.com. I am waiting on my 6 RSC seeing the ones I got from ebay all where DOA so I sent them back to the shipper and order them from liveaqua.com. Okay with that said I so happened to spot two guppies in a tank with a Blue Ram and freak out DO NOT GET ME WRONG I love Blue rams I think they are a goruos fish they are just not for me. So after yelling at the clerk with what the heck were they thinking about having the two species together. I told him to hand me a net and a bag and the transfer tank I saved the guppies and now I have two new members to my 10 gallon tank.

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I kept rams with guppies, didn't hve any problems. Lots of stores do not keep all their tanks speicies only. Rams make pretty nice community fish.

3. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Okay I guess the rams my friend has are just brats cuz hers killed all the guppies in her 50 gallon. Well the petco near me does not care I guess. So I went off for no reason now I feel like a jerk.

4. fishy friend2 Member Member

I think having male guppies with a male betta is far worse then having them with rams

5. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Petco. Do not get me started about Petco. I have learned to let it go in one ear and out the other.

6. markah1 Member Member

To be honest, I think they would have been better off with the ram than with the betta.

7. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I think they should just keep everything seperate until it is sold, becasue they do not know enough to mix fish and get a happy outcome. It is hard enough when you "know" what you are doing.

8. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I got the betta to calm down my neons that I had in a DIY 6 gallon I had. He calmed them down until the tank broke due to a tornado we had last June he was the only fish to survive so he is special to me. Plus I thought rams will probably to big for a 10 gallon.

My betta is very calm when he was with neons he never went after them and now he is with 6 leopard Danios(going in a 30 long once it is cycled), 6 ghost shrimp,and two guppies and I think I will be putting the Danios in the other tank tonight seeing my readings are 0,0,15,7.1 & 78 temp

9. fishy friend2 Member Member

If you were so alarmed about the guppies being placed with the guppies then why arent you alarmed about them being with bettas, I see a potential problem there. way worse than the previous situation it was in

10. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Cuz I thought rams where brats(I was wrong and I am sorry) and my betta has never showed flaring or attacking towards other long fin fish he been in the 10 gallon with my long fin leopard Danios and he just goes about and does what he likes.

11. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I have two near me and the one closest to me is the worst but I have the Java moss always instock. Now the other one the manager of the fish deptment is very kind and well go out her way to make sure the tanks are clean and not overstocked. But I think I over reacted and I am sry for it.

12. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I try not to buy animals or fish there, but sometimes they are cheaper and closer. Like I broke down and let my daughter buy a gecko for $15.00. You are not going to find a qecko anywhere else for $15.00. But back to Petco.... I hate them too, really I do.

13. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Im sorry but I have to say with PETCO its the local stores, I have one near me that is actually one of the best fish stores in the area. The tanks are always clean and well kept and aside from the bit of overstocking that inevitably happens they tanks are in great shape. The staff are willing to educate the people when buying fish and informing them of proper ways to setup tanks (Thou they don't push the fish less cycling as much as I would like) and better stocking options than the customers sometimes want to hear.

Im sorry you had a bad experience and I'm glad that your beta is a very laid back fish and tolerates the others in his tank.

14. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I will not shop at the Petco by me, for a number of reasons. I did not mean to make you feel bad, I was just giving my reason why that particular situation wasn't all that bad really. Maybe you jumped the gun a bit, but I am sure you're not the first person to do that, emotions can run high when you are concerned for the welfare of other living creatures.

15. iqueral Initiate Member

I would like to thank Petco for the horrible bout of Columnaris that I'm dealing with at the moment....at least it forced me to finally buy a QT tank.

16. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

You just have to be extra careful when buying anything from Petco. Check the health of the stock, quarintine the fish.... but then I guess we should all be doing that anyway..

17. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

You know, I like the products that PetCo has and I get some killer coupons there. It's 5 minutes from my house, as are 2 other fishy places. That being said, I have 6 fish still alive from there and 13 that died within days of purchase. I got a horrible case of ich as well as columnaris. Like iqueral said, that's what forced me to get a QT. There is only 1 LFS I **might** buy fish from by me, and I have mixed feelings about their stock. It's hard to find a consistently good store that always maintains good tanks/stock and is willing to help. I personally have guppies and rams together, but I have a 45 gallon tank. Not all rams are the sam and neither are the guppies. My guppies tend to be very nippy and mean to each other, but they don't care about the other fish. My rams don't even realize the tank is full, they only see each other. It's really 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other. I do agree that when a store, they should keep like with like so that customers don't get confused. There are a lot of newbies and kids that are using those tags to get all of the information about their purchases, unfortunately...

18. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Well i hate WALMART!!!! It saddens me everytime i would walk by the fish and see sick or even dead ones floating. They dont even dip out the deads ones,just leave them in there! Our store emptied all their tanks and i was so glad.Went back in there a month later and they had fish again!! ugh! I was so upset. Our walmart is the worst! They really are in it for the money not the love and care of the fish. I went to another local town yesterday at another walmart and was just looking at the ornaments and my husband said hey, come here and look what they have. It was 6 blood parrots in a small 10 gal tank with nothing to hide in and they wer all stressed out! I felt so bad for them because i know they will probably stay right there and die! They were so pretty too. I dont buy from walmart but if i didnt already have 6 parrots, i would have been tempted. I told my husband dont ever call me over or tell me what fish they have! It really bothered me. I cant hardly stand it. I just wish walmart would NOT sell fish. I think it should be a rule that if you are going to sell fish, you have to be educated and everyone that works in that department should be educated also!!!! Thank you all for reading this. It is just upsetting to me to see fish in these conditions. No different than puppy mills in my mind....