I am not sure what Algae this is....

Milord

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
HI there! My name is Milord and...
As the title suggests I have some suspicions on what type of Algae I am facing, but still I just have to make sure.

IMG_20200320_105135.jpgIMG_20200320_105244.jpgIMG_20200320_105542.jpg

Those on the plant seem like a Diatom Algae, brown algae. However those on the glass I am still not sure. Will a Nerite snail help with these?

Also if I did not follow the forum's guides, I apologize, I am recent in the forum, in the community as a matter of fact.
Hope my stay in Fishlore will be a pleasant one.

Best of wishes!

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Milord said:
Those on the plant seem like a Diatom Algae, brown algae. However those on the glass I am still not sure. Will a Nerite snail help with these?
Welcome.

Diatoms and brown algae are the same in aquaria. Diatom would be the correct term in biological terminology. And yes, that there on the glass are diatoms, too. And yes, a Nerite might help, though I'd scrub it off the glass myself or just leave it.

OP
Milord

Milord

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
MacZ said:
Welcome.

Diatoms and brown algae are the same in aquaria. Diatom would be the correct term in biological terminology. And yes, that there on the glass are diatoms, too. And yes, a Nerite might help, though I'd scrub it off the glass myself or just leave it.
Yes I will scrub the most of it of the glass leaving some in the background, to have some visibility. But I am afraid I won't scrub the plant since it I am afarid of damaging it xD. Wouldn't leaving the Algae hurt the plant?

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Milord said:
Yes I will scrub the most of it of the glass leaving some in the background, to have some visibility. But I am afraid I won't scrub the plant since it I am afarid of damaging it xD. Wouldn't leaving the Algae hurt the plant?
I never scrubbed any algae from anything except the glass. :D It doesn't hurt the plant except when it covers the plant completely. Then the plant will not be able to do photosynthesis anymore. But as long as it's just some spots it'll be fine.

OP
Milord

Milord

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
MacZ said:
I never scrubbed any algae from anything except the glass. :D It doesn't hurt the plant except when it covers the plant completely. Then the plant will not be able to do photosynthesis anymore. But as long as it's just some spots it'll be fine.
I am afraid I have neglected the problem from far too long :( it almost covers 80% of the leaves which explains the difficulty of the plant in thriving. I will try to scrub it off the leaves this evening.

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome mi.....

Na never gunna happen.

Diatoms will normally take care of themselves after a while. So I wouldnt worry abot them

OP
Milord

Milord

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
smee82 said:
Welcome mi.....

Na never gunna happen.

Diatoms will normally take care of themselves after a while. So I wouldnt worry abot them
Alright, thanks!!
That eases my mind a little bit

New Threads