i am new please help

werner
I got a tropical freshwater fish tank how do you know how many gallons is it

Blub
Hi!

First, you do not know about the nitrogen cycle. On the 'Aquarium nitrogen cycle' forum, click the links at the top for some info on this vital proccess. The aquarium calculator is a great way to learn how many gals. Tell us how many gals you have so we can tell you about stocking.

FishPerson
I hope its big. that's a lot of fish that get big.

sirdarksol
First, you do not know about the nitrogen cycle.

I think what Hatchet meant to say is "Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?" If not, check out the link that BettaCouple posted.

Blub
Hi!

It says in his Aquarium info Sir... "Do you know about the Nitrogen cycle? No."

sirdarksol
Alright, point.
I had missed that little bit of information (I rarely look in the aquarium info button unless I have particular reason). Sorry.

werner
thanx you all I will let you know how many gallons is it

Blub
Hi!

Don't worry sir... I read the Aquarium info if I don't know it before the acctual post.

werner
my tank is an 38 gallon

Blub
Hi!

Oh great... Well, as I suspected, your tank is extremely heavily overstocked! Ouch. It's probably more like 35gal when you count the decor etc... My reccomendation is to take all those fish apart from the angels out and give them back to the LFS. You can build a really nice community around those angels, but really the other fish will grow to big, and the RTBS's will fight (The red and black sharks don't like other sharks) and freak out a lot of other fish.

Barbrella
My reccomendation is to take all those fish apart from the angels out and give them back to the LFS

Please listen to this. That rope fish (very specific needs) needs at the very minimum 75 - 100 gallons for itself, never mind the rest.

If you don't take them all back you'll be very unhappy at what's going to happen.

(these darn petstores - just outrageous!)

Blub
Please listen to this. That rope fish (very specific needs) needs at the very minimum 75 - 100 gallons for itself, never mind the rest.

If you don't take them all back you'll be very unhappy at what's going to happen.

(these darn petstores - just outrageous!)
Hi!

Great advice. I think the angels would be OK, though?

werner
oky the stupid pet shop told me all of that fish are great together and the tank is right and to put the cherry on the cake they told me I can add anouther 2 elethant nose

Blub
Hi!

Well... You know the LFS... Several tons of pure fish stupidity.

werner
idiots

Blub
Hi!

I'll help you sort out stocking for this tank buddy. Look into silver hatchets (Also known as Common hatchets and river hatchets), and corys. Platys would be great for some colour. Ask us before proceeding with a new plan of action.

werner
can I add a few guppys or not

Blub
Hi!

Not right now, but sometime in the future guppys will be a possibility. I see why you want some! Lovely little guys.

werner
ya they are

sirdarksol
A good choice to begin restocking with a better grasp of how to do so.

I would suggest that you do your own research and look into fish that you would like to get (such as the guppies) rather than rely on us to come up with a stocking scheme for you.

We can help work out the precise numbers/lengths of fish, but you're the only one who can decide what kinds of fish you like. For example, I don't think anybody here would ever suggest any of my stock schemes (other than the lone betta, which is kind of a necessity if you're going to have a betta). So take a look at the list that's on the right-hand column of the main site (fishlore.com), and go to wikipedia and look up aquarium fish. You can find examples of hundreds of different aquarium fish.

Or, if you've only got one store to get fish from, go there with a note pad and without your wallet. Take a look at all of the fish that you like and write down their names. Then either come back here and talk to us about the different types of fish or do a bit of research (We enjoy doing the research, but I think you'll get the most out of your tank if you let us know the types of fish that you like, rather than us telling you what types of fish you'd like )

SereneReyn
lol, sir... excellent point. don't let us tell you what fish you'll like. you'll get a thousand different answers and be no closer to making up your mind.

sirdarksol
lol, sir... excellent point. don't let us tell you what fish you'll like. you'll get a thousand different answers and be no closer to making up your mind.

Kinda what I thought. There are fish that I cannot understand why people would keep them, and I'm sure some people wonder why I keep the fish I do.

werner
oky

Blub
Hi!

Yeah, that's what I did when I started out. I was at grandma's for my B#day, liked her new fish, so got a 7.5gal tank and went to her local LFS and I write down all the fish I liked... Lol, you should have seen the list of fish I tried to keep in there!

Blub
Hi!

Try this as well:
It's the reason I'm still in this hobby!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
beau
Replies
Views
Lagertha
Replies
Views
Sandiwich
  • Question
Replies