I am new here and have got a few Questions to ask. Help

1. XxChloexX Initiate Member

Hi, My name is Chloe, i live in Singapore.i am 14 this year.
    today, 24-12-09 i bought 7[they are all females!{i dint know how to defrentiate them, i just chose randomly and there i have it, 7 females}] guppies home, hope-ing that i have something to look after.And after reading http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/guppies/index.html
    i realised that i needed alot of stuff to look after the fishes.
    My mum is not exactly the type who will actually go and buy tanks and all the filters and heaters for me.so all i coud manage was a container:(
    i was sad but at the same time i couldn't do anything about it...But i really wanted to take care of them.i was glad to have them.
    when i read about Pregnant females, i went to look out for the 'gravid spot' in my fishes.
    But there is something i want to confirm.

If their gravd spot is blacken.they are definetely pregnant?

i found out that about 4 of them have blacken gravid spots on them....so like.i was really nervous and at the same time excxited about it.[i want them to give birth nowXD!!]

so like what i want to know is if the gavid spot is not that big or something like that, do i take note of them now and seperate them or just wait for the symptoms of them delivering?

about how long will they survive up to?

Can changing the water too often will cause death?but why?[i only wanted them to be clean:O]

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Chloe, welcome to FishLore :)
    I'm glad to hear that you've done some research on your guppies.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but if you don't have a proper set up, tank, filter, heater, perhaps you should return the guppies.
    Save up some money until you can buy the proper equipment.

:( I know that's not what you want to hear but you and your future fish will be happier for it.

I'm sure someone will be along to answer the question that you asked.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do. :)

3. XxChloexX Initiate Member

but you see.i dont think so that the owners will be happy to hear: uncle, i am here to return your fishes.no no no, they are fine, sorry i have wasted half an hour of your time yesterday.
    haiz:(

and i dont think so any of my friends want them...
    perhaps i will ask my dad about it...He like to go fishing...so i guess, he will do somethign about it.but even if i can like get all these things, i am not sure where i can place them , i live in a HBD flat.not sure if there wil be space...and my mum....[the most important reason why i might not have the fishes' equipment]
    so like yea.
    Thanks Lucy, for the advice:).it got me thinking about what to do with them...i guess i can only try my best to take care of them till the worst thing can happen to them..:(

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm sure you will do your very best to be a good guppy mom.
    The guppies will produce ammonia through their waste and left over food. This is toxic to your fish. Try not to over feed. If there's any food or fish poo at the bottom, you can suck it out with a baster.
    It looks like this:
    ist2_1078991-turkey-baster.jpg
    Without a filter or at the very least an air pump, you should do frequent water changes.

Can you post a picture of the container that they're in?
    Hopefully, you can save some money and get the equipment you need.

I'm disappointed in the store. They should have told you what you needed before selling you the guppies.

5. XxChloexX Initiate Member

THanks for telling me about the baster!i really needed that.

i am sorry but i dont have any devices now i can use to take pictures:(

i guess they thought i already knew....
    i asked the uncle like how long before i need to change the water, the uncle said about 4 to five days.i guess that will be without the filter equipments.
    and the uncle said to feed them everyday.i am now using food flakes cos i had insufficient funds. but tomorrow i will be buying brine shrimps...they call it sea monkeys:Dhow cute.

6. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Chloe, Happy Birthday!:;balloons:;balloons and welcome to FishLore!

It pains me to tell you, on your Birthday of all days, that you are on the fast track to major problems with your fish. They really need a filter, so that the tank can cycle properly. You also need a heater for them. They require warm water. If I'm not mistaken, Singapore is a pretty warm place, and if your house is always warm enough, you may be able to get away without a heater, but you probably do need one.

I can't give you any advice on the guppy's since I've never had any...sorry.

Best of luck!

7. XxChloexX Initiate Member

um i am so sorry but today is not my birthday...how i wish so though, Christmas eve.sorry but thanks for wishing:)

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Your guppies will be fine with flakes for now.
    Instead of the brine shrimp, could you get a filter or air pump?
    Can you measure your container so we know how many gallons it is?
    Something like this:
    Gravel vacuum would help with your water changes and also pick up left over food and fish poo.

About your gravid spot question, I know other members will be along to answer that question for you.
    I only have male guppies. :)

Here in the US they sell brine shrimp for fish but other stores package Sea Monkey Egg kits to grow as 'pets' lol.

9. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum:;balloons

All female guppies have a gravid spot, so seeing it does not automatically mean that they are pregnant. If they were in a tank with males at the store you brought them from than they are most likely pregnant. You can tell as their stomachs grow, it will get square when it is time to have the babies. Good Luck

10. XxChloexX Initiate Member

okay...but i think getting the brine shrimps are fine here...cos for some reason, they sell it for 1 or 2 bucks...so its quite cheap.
    okay...filter...and gravel vaccum...i will try and find these in the store..

how much are gallons?:0

okay...square?
    okay..i will look out for that..is it like the Gravid spot will look squarish?

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Liters, perhaps?

12. XxChloexX Initiate Member

oh okay...wow...omg...then its really little..omg i dun wanna say:O
    omg...i have got 7, at least how much must i have?

13. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Thats just under 2 Gallons, 1.85 to be exact, for 7 guppies you ideally need atleast 10 Gallons which is 37.85 liters

14. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Do you mean you have 7 Liters or the 7 guppies?
    It would help if you told us. :)

15. XxChloexX Initiate Member

yea...7 litres..i guess so...isn't that too little?

16. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

platy ben answered above. For 7 guppies, at least 10 gallons or about 38 Liters.

17. XxChloexX Initiate Member

O.O
    wo that is alot of water for small 7 fishes.

Thanks guys for listening to all my questions..

18. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

It seems like a lot of water but fish use the water as their bathroom.
    In a small amount of water the waste builds up quickly which will equal dead fish. :(
    Also remember, your fish will grow bigger.
    :) That's what we're here for, ask any questions you might have.
    The members are always happy to help :)

19. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fishlore, Chloe, and Merry Christmas. :)

These guys are giving you some really good advice.

Even if you are not able to get a aquarium right now, do you think that maybe you could move the fish into a bigger container or bucket? They need more space.
    Also, without oxygen in the water, they may start to suffer. If your mom lets you get a very inexpensive air pump, that would be great. Maybe you could ask at the store if they will give you a discount on the price.

When fish poo, there is a product called ammonia in the water. Ammonia is very dangerous to fish, which is why we talk about filters. If you aren't able to get a filter, changing part of the water every day for your fish will help keep the ammonia level down. If you have a water conditioner to add to the new water, that would be good.

So every day, do a water change and use a baster or something similar to suck out any waste or leftover food at the bottom of the container.

I hope you'll realize that from now on, if you are going to take the responsibility of caring for a pet, you should research about it before you go buy it. :) Good luck! To get air in the water, I've read that sometimes it helps just to blow some air into it with a straw.

20. Camille Member Member

The gravid spot will not turn squarish but it will get bigger and darker. When they say squarish they ment her belly, it will become squarish when she is about to have her babies. It will be about 28 days before your pregnant female guppies have babies if you just noticed the gravid spot now.