I am losing my battle against stag horn algae... Need HELP!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by uncclewis, Jun 25, 2016.

1. uncclewis

uncclewis Well Known Member Member

Hi guys, I am losing the battle against my stag horn algae. I dont know what to do! It is getting pretty bad... My siamese algae eaters seem lazy and just eat flakes and stuff, I dont see them eating much of the stag horn. What eats this ? Ugh.

2. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Staghorn from my own experience is due to low co2 levels. Best way to remove it is to remove infected leaves etc. and increase co2.

3. Kasye

Kasye Valued Member Member

Have you tried using Excel or hydrogen peroxide on the algae?

4. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Oh ok! Thank! Guess I dont have enough fish to make the CO2. I am losing my battle and thank you! How do I increase CO2? Reduce use of my bubbler?

5. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Excel only, but given that I dont have many other types of algae, I dont know... I have 20 siamese algae eaters and I am trying starving them of flakes for a couple of days to get them to eat my stag horn. And just feed my loaches pellets hehe... Today is the first day. They are trying to get the pellets right now but they are mainly fat, my loaches aren't allowing them to get to it. :)[​IMG]

Will that work? Tbey are true SAE. Just prefer flakes. Fat dudes. Lol.

Now I know how to get nearly all of my fish in my tank into one corner lol...

Any advice is welcome I am at a loss, the other side is what look so overrun :(

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  6. A

What is the lighting you are using and tank size? Are you sure its staghorn?

7. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

[​IMG]

,right now 200 watts of LED. 6 hours a day. 75 gallon deep tank. Its blocking out there light

I have mainly SAE as my main fish because of this algae problem, but they won't eat it, or at least not fast as it will grow!

is that stag horn?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  8. A

Oh wow! Yup, staghorn. I am so sorry. If it was my tank i would remove badly infected plants and trim others. Start dosing Excel with half dose and slowly work your way up to full dose.

In the photo that dwarf sag looks unhealthy. Do you use root tabs and dose any water column fertilizers?

9. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

:( well thats how i feel too. But ty...Column occasionally yea 1 time per weeks seachem stuff. . Its beem looking worse and worse. The algae is blockih most light on it

10. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Ive been overdosing excel. I see some died. Heh. Not much but a little. Is it bad for fish?

OK! Latest update is that my 2 mollies that I got have really been hurting it- woot! go mollies! lol (plus the excel seems to a little!)

EDIT: been doing crazy amounts of water changes+ all of my algae eaters and I have really reduced the light period. The algae is dying! muhahaha

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice