I Am Interested In Adding Worms To The Aquatic Soil.... Question

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Valiance, Apr 23, 2018.

1. ValianceNew MemberMember

I am curious if I were to add worms to the soil, would it help the biosystem, or hurt it?
    I have two tanks, the large is a 30 gallon, the small is a 20 Gallon. I put the soil in both tanks at the same time.
    top is 1 inch of white playground sand from home depot.
    mid layer is organic potting soil, from home depot, 1-2 inches
    bottom layer is organic Peat moss, 1 inch deep
    I host a bunch of mystery snails, and have some extra baby rabbit snails. I have plants in the tank, but so far only can get my floating anubis to grow. nothing has taken root, prolly sand is too deep. I have a top smattering of gravel to avoid plain sandscape.
    I have mopani, and drift woods in both tanks, they both tannin the water. the peat moss is deep, so no much tannin from that at the moment.

What kind of worms would like this environment?

2. endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

What kind of fish do you have? Most fish will want to eat the worms. I myself have dero worms with daphnia in a small tank, but they seem to do best in shallower water.

3. ValianceNew MemberMember

I do not have any fish yet, waiting to get plants thriving with the snails first....

4. GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

WORMS! Don't say worms around me. lol! I can give you all the bloodworms you want. I can't get them out of my tank!

5. ValianceNew MemberMember

Thank you, that is very kind. Before I commit, I was wondering if bloodworms would be ideal?

6. GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

I didn't do it on purpose. Midge flies got in my tank and laid eggs. Their larvae are blood worms. I don't know how to keep them alive though. Without the flies, I think the fish would eat them all. I'm hoping so anyway, in my case.

7. GalathielWell Known MemberMember

I think she's being facetious .... she's killing them by the thousands in her tanks as they have infested and infiltrated hehe.

8. GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

Yes, sorry. At this point I have lost my mind over worms. Do you know that if you jumble the letters around in the word "worms" that you get the word "Sworm". As in flies sworming my tank and leaving worms. LOL. Take me away...lock me up. P.S. - I know it's really swarming but I couldn't resist.

9. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

If you’d like something to do the same that earthworms do on land then look into trumpet snails (MTS). They work wonders and dig around in the substrate during the day while coming out to feed at night.

10. ValianceNew MemberMember

Do rabbit snails d the same thing as MTS?

11. 75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

IME, rabbit snails won’t do the same, but 5e will bury themselves so they are partially covered.

Blackworms could work. The6 are aquatic, digs round in the substrate, and are a really good food source for the fish.

12. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

Dude, your numbers are killing your type pad lol!

13. 75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

It’s my iPad! If I type too fast, I accidentally drag up and the numbers are typed instead of the letters.

Key:

5 = th

6 = y

14. ValianceNew MemberMember

Thank you so much, Discus Tank. That's what I was seeking. Can you tell me more about this blackworm species?

I checked the link, that is for the California blackworm, with 8 Variety of subspecies. Out of any of those, a favorite suggestion?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice