I am gonna scream

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cobalts fin rot is back! I don't get it, his tank is cycled now, the water is good, he has nothing to stress about. His tail was healing and now-- Rotten. ugh ahhh and pooooooo!
sorry I had to vent.
Are there any suggestions that won't kill the cycle??

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The closest tank med might be: but it still doesn't say if it won't mess up the cycle.

You could try: . I'm not sure of how effective these are, but I've found the Jungle Labs products to be good so far and since you feed the med to cobalt, it should leave the cycle alone.

Which reminds me of: . You could put this on his food and feed him the meds. This also should leave the cycle be.

If you have some VitaChem, that can help strengthen his system to fight the fin rot and regrow finnage.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Genie...
I have no suggestions to add but wanted to extend my wishes that cobalt recovers and sorry to hear that hes not feeling well. He is such a beautiful betta!
..prayers in the wind.. for cobalt!!

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Ahh Genie, I am so sorry to hear Cobalt's fin rot is back. I can empathize with you for sure because Neptune is the same. The last of the red on his tail frayed, and I decided that even tho his 6 gallon will be cycled very soon, I am keeping him in the uncycled 3 gallon and treating with only clean water treated with AmQuel Plus, and Vita Chem for a week or so and see how that goes. He has been on meds the whole time I have had him ( except for the first 2 weeks ) That would be Feb 9th!!! his beautiful long tail is about 1 inch long now....

I am also putting 2 drops of that in Storm's tank everyday and he is starting to move around. It says on the bottle " great for fin regeneration and lateral line disease" ( whatever that is ).

Who knew these little guys were so delicate?? I think Nat treated RJ with just Vita Chem successfully. I am sure Rose is doing the same thing. Can't remember if you already had a bottle of that or not. It is worth a try. Surely all these meds have to eventually be as bad as if they were in an uncycled tank that was balanced with chemicals all the time?

I know you are doing all you can, know there are many of us out there pulling for you and Cobalt...don't give up!! Good luck! Val

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The active idea is cleanliness.  The water and tank need to be kept as pristine as possible so I have my guy in a plain undecorated tank, not even any gravel or any plants or decorations, just him, a heater and walls and an ammonia indicator and an Azoo Palm Filter (it is a 2.5 gallon tank)  I use a Turkey Baster to remove his little deposits and any other things that drop to the bottom and keep the water clean as I can and use VitaChem 5 drops a day.  (2 drops per gallon of tank size) and feed nothing but freeze dried daphnia in small amounts about 5 times a day.  He will probably be in there for a long time as I want to see regeneration and let it get good and established before I put him back into a regular tank with stronger current or things to rub against. Oh yes I do have a small 4" air tube attached to the wall as the temp is set at 82 degrees to keep the oxygen level up and help him breathe.

This may seem severe but finrot is getting harder to deal with and the meds just are not doing it and tenojin the person I got the info about Melafix and Pimafix gave me this idea and she is very knowledgeable about bettas.  Clean Water works wonders, but you have to really stay on top of it all the time.  It generally means daily water changes.

Rose

OP
genie

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks everyone.
rose, I had read about clean water and aquarium salt being one of the best ways to deal with this, so I am glad that you said daily water changes. I was afraid that might stress him, but since the meds aren't working all that great, I think I am going to do daily changes instead of weekly (it is cycled).
I'll keep everyone up to date on the progress of Cobalt, and Willow (who I rescued from her walmart prison- fin rot and all)

I got this stuff for willow called Betta Revive, it has neomycin sulfate, methylene blue , a polymer mixture, and malachite green chloride, and electrolytes. It also has some inert ingredients, so I'll let everyone know.

Jendayi

Reaction score
I know how you feel, I am right there with you. Cujo slaps a frayed-fin high five to Cobalt lol

I didn't know you could use the vita-chem so often. On the bottle it says 2 drops per gallon once a week. Do you think it would be ok to use it in conjuction with a Maracyn/Maracyn2 treatment? Because you can't change the water while in treatment I wouldn't think you could use the vita-chem every day. But what the heck do I know? All my tiny bit of confidence is gone again

JnsDnsks

Reaction score
Food For Thought...

Recently I did a water change on one of my Betta tanks {6.6 gallon}. A day or two after his water change, I went to feed him, I looked, then looked again. He had Finrot starting. {you've got to be kidding me!} Off to the store I went, not to get meds, I bought him a 1 gallon Minibow. I transitioned him to his new little home, added 1/4 teaspoon of aquarium salt and a silk plant, period. Within a couple of days it was gone. He is happy, now healthy, eats like a piggy and blows amazing bubblenests. When I first started with Betta's, I did not keep them in large, heated, filtered aquariums. 1 gallon minimum, yes...3, 5 or 10 gallon aquariums, no. As a matter of fact, when my Betta addiction started it was customary to house them in 1/2 gallon containers and they were thought to be suitable. Then it became 1 gallon. Now it's 3 gallons are *okay*...5 gallons are *better*...but 10 gallons or more is *best*. While I certainly am not against these beautiful creatures having the *best*, I do have my reservations that 80-82 degrees is optimal. There is so much information {some good, a lot of it bad} regarding Betta care. I have rarely seen 80-82 degrees as a maintaining water temperature, for ANY fish. It is commonly suggested to raise the tank temp to 80-82 degrees when treating illnesses such as ICH etc, but not for maintenance. The tank my Betta was residing in was maintained at 77 degrees. He is now maintained at 74 {room temp} and he is not only surviving...he IS thriving. I am not advocating that everyone house their Betta's in smaller quarters, but perhaps consider a more sensible heater setting. The excessively high water temps along with the cesspool of meds that they are living in day to day are indeed taking there toll on them. The less additives, the better. I understand the use of a water conditioner for chlorine/chloramines, if needed, but salt etc. should really only be used on a as needed basis. Sometimes when we find ourselves doing the same thing over and over again, maybe, just maybe, we need to step out of the box. And who knows, it may just work!

My intentions are NOT to step on anyone's toes, so please don't read it that way.

Take Care and Have A Great Day!...

Asinity

Reaction score
I can definitely see where you're coming from there JnsDnsks... My two bettas, Kyler (who is in a 5.5 gallon, filtered, heated) and Christen (who is in a 2 gallon non filtered/heated) are almost night and day to each other. Kyler has been suffering from Fin Rot for several weeks now, Christen on the other hand has been doing very well with her room temperature tank without any current and has shown a very mild case of rot shortly after I bought her, but that cleared up within a couple days and she has been doing well since.

The difference I see is in the attitude of the fish - while they are both very perky and usually very energetic, I do notice that Kyler tends to be a more active fish than Christen. It's really hard to say... in the end though, they are doing far better than the cupped bettas... they don't really move at all.

Hopping back to the Vita-Chem topic though, does Carbon remove it from the water? Or is it safe to use when running carbon in the filter?

I understand what you're saying with the whole repeating something over and over again, it happens in our daily lives in everything we do... we get so accustomed to something that we don't look into improving things, or even looking at ways of bettering processes and actions.

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
both of my fish are in uncycled Q tanks: Neptune - fin rot - 3 g; and Storm - betta cup/Walmart -itis- sick, etc - in 1.66g. While I am medicating Storm with Maracyn Plus, I also have a small airstone undergravel filter, the light warms the water to high 70's, I add 1 drops of Vita Chem every day. Full dose when I change his water ( will do when course of Maracyn + is over). Have seen little improvement, but who knows what will happen. Neptune is not being medicated, has a heater and a bio wheel filter, AmQuel and I add 1-2 drops VitaChem every day. I decided he gets no meds for a while. Seems happy. Neptune hated the 1.66g, he was acting all weird. So I bought the 3 g and he is happy as a clam - well, a fish. Can't tell what Storm likes, I think he likes having the light off......

I am beginning to think if you find something that works, and the fish is happy and thriving, stick to it. It is like alternative medicine. All these meds cannot be good, surely they will become immune to them?? Just my opinion....

Asinity

Reaction score
voiceless_kat said:
All these meds cannot be good, surely they will become immune to them?? Just my opinion....
They are just like us and will become immune to medications, as well the various strains of disease will mutate just like any other disease and eventually new medicine will be required to cure it. That's why I've decided to try and fix up Kyler without more meds. Hopefully all will be well.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea, I think they could build up a resistance to meds when given over & over & over. We try to do meds only when we really have to and try to 'rotate' thru the different meds for a condition. I'm not a chemist or pharmacist, so I don't know how much of what we are thinking is right-on, but are trying to focus on really clean water and vitamins and 100% organic meds (when possible). I think keeping the water clean is the most important thing, from a 1.5g to whatever size. Then love & attention.

To me, tank size is really a personal preference, but I like 5 gallon to 10 gallon to have room to put the heater & airstone out of the way and to be able to put in 3 or 4 things each betta enjoys playing with or swimming thru.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use and have used full doses of Vita Chem on my fish since getting them in the water daily for months and it has not hurt them. They do not get it on their food as they do not touch it that way. They get 2 drops per gallon of tank size every day and now that I have a betta (ONE) that is having fin rot he is a hospital tank with no gravel, decor, or any plants and gets a 50% water change a day. He gets NO medications although he did get 2 series of Maracyn/Maracyn2. He is showing fin regeneration and is a happy and active little guy and shows improvement. He eats nothing but freeze dried daphnia and an occasional Atison's Betta Pro Pellet as a treat and is watched closely to check for constipation. The tank size is 2.5 gallon and is held at a steady 82 degrees and he has been at this temperature since arriving at my home. (as are all of my fish)

I test the water to keep the very best of conditions and he is happy to see me and aware of his surroundings. He sits in the biggest window of the house and looks out and sees a lot of activity and also is right next to the tank that holds Damon and they spend a lot of time watching (not flaring) each other. I am in and out of the room and always stop and give them both love and attention. There are many parts to recovery and unless you put a lot of yourself into it not one thing is going to work.

Rose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think love & attention are the most important things for a sick betta.. they're so in love with our attention.

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Oh ya, I definetly agree with the love and attention part of healing and care.

Really, if there is no love and attention, what is the point of having the betta, the cat, the dog, whatever??? I have certainly seen love heal a cat many times, so I know it is an important part of the process.

Course I am only five cats away from being classified a crazy cat lady anyway, so perhaps just leave me to my thoughts.................LOL :-\

New Threads