I am going Crazy. Funny

1. WolfaraRose Member Member

So kinda like the title says my bf is sure I have gone crazy since getting into the freshwater fish keeping hobby. I have 3 up and running tanks atm, 1 just sitting while I wait for the money to get a stand, and I am (hopefully) buying six tanks this paycheck. Which will put me at the list below

4- 10 Gallon Tanks
    3- 20 Gallon Long Tanks
    1- 20 Gallon Tank
    1- 29 gallon tank
    1- 55 gallon tank.

I kinda want to get a 40 gallon Breeder, but there would be nowhere to put it without blowing the circuits lol.

Now for a breakdown of the tanks

10 Gallon - Dwarf Puffer tank
    10 Gallon- Divided for 2 bettas
    10 Gallon- Betta Spawn Tank
    10 Gallon - Quarantine tank
    20 Gallon Long - Axolotl Tank
    20 Gallon Long - Betta Growout Tank
    20 Gallon Long - Divided for 4 bettas
    20 Gallon - Community tank (the rainforest tank)
    29 Gallon - Special Community Tank (Zen Tank)
    55 Gallon - Main Display community tank

I think I will be done buying tanks for a while after that. Maybe. Probably. IDK. But the burden of buying all this fish stuff is financial straining sometimes (to set them up) My petco and my LFS both know me on site. LOL

I think I may start a FA group... Fish-a-holics Anonymous!

Gonna add that my BF wants to start a 55 gallon Goldie tank just for himself.. .lol

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Tanks everywhere! When can I come over?

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Wish we all had unlimited money and unlimited space for our tanks. :p

4. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

So who occupies your community tank, special community and 55G?

Inquiring minds have to knowa

5. WolfaraRose Member Member

@Adam55 once all the tanks are set up and completed I will be having a Tank Showing Party here!
    @Anders247 Lol I know right!

On another note, did ya'll know I'm wanting to open a local pet store? Then I would be able to have tanks!!! EVERYWHERE Lol
    Jomolager 55 isn't set up quite yet, that's the one i'm trying to find a decent but cheaper stand for, think I'm just gonna go get the $180 one not this paycheck but the next paycheck. Right now they are very carefully balanced to avoid some aggression issues.

6. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

If you are opening a pet store you need more tanks. In that case you should get industrial shelving. It is not elegant, but it is sturdy and considerably easier on your wallet.

You could probably get a used one from a restaurant supply place. Those shelves are huge, can support a lot of weight and you don't have to set them up on top of each other. I will post a link if I find one.

I found a link. Not exactly what I had in mind, I've seen cheaper ones, but this is the idea.

http://www.costco.com/Alera-Industr...-48"-x-24"-x-72"-Black-.product.11517555.html

Each shelf can hold 1000 pounds. You can make two sets of shelves from each kit.

7. WolfaraRose Member Member

Cool! And yes I know I need a LOT more tanks. If you can find that industrial shelving that would be great! I'm still just working on the business plan atm, but these are just the tanks for my house (with a couple of breeding pairs in case I get a head start) It's a gigantic load of work atm trying to figure out everything I will need. Gonna start a non profit within my store as well to rescue "unadoptable" cats and dogs from the pound. It's quite the undertaking, and I don't know where to start beside the business plan!

8. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

I've just added a link to my previous post.

You can use these shelves at home too.

While you are working on your business plan you need to befriend every cat/dog/bird/fish person. They will become your clients/volunteers/and walking&talking ads.

Learn to bake the best dog biscuits, look for dog groomers, an accountant, a lawyer, an artist to design your logo, a computer expert of some sort to set up your website, etc. Make sure every vet in your area knows you.

You will do well. This is so exciting. If you plan it well, Small Business Administration will help you with a loan. Unless you've already done so, start reading their stuff now, so you know what you can ask them for realistically.

PS: don't forget to become knowledgeable about each fish/dog/cat breed so you acquire credibility from the start. Good luck!!!!

9. WolfaraRose Member Member

I actually have something in mind for the dog biscuits! I have a friend here in town , Lissie, who makes Lissies Luv Yums, and was gonna ask if she wanted to sell them in my store (to help out some locals in the process) and she will get profits to benefit her fetal alcohol syndrome fund (she has said syndrome). I am pretty friendly with the vets here in town since I have cats who like to get into trouble.

I just have to ask, what is the lawyer for?? And the accountant is a def must because dear god I can not do that myself. I have a logo designed (that is another of my hobbies is drawing, I come from a FAMILY of artists lol) My boyfriend knows how to do some website design, but I will be looking into another person to help with that. Also a dog groomer would also have to be able to work with cats since I will be rescuing them as well.

I would like to find out how to get disney to let me use their copyright of Rescue Rangers in my slogan - Home of the Rescue Rangers :)

I'm worried that the LFS that I normally go to will spurn me due to "competition issues" or so my bf thinks (hes probably right)

I was thinking about using a small business crowdfunding if I could, or going through vocational rehab (helps small business start up) for the funding. And I will definitely read up on the Small Business Admin.

I will have birds as well, but they won't be rescues. I'm also trying to educate on better betta keeping as well, and my counselor suggested that I do that through the schools.

I was hoping to have a little pc in the store with proper fish training knowledge, and a reference data base for all the fish I will carry.

I think I will vet my first gen staff myself on how to deal with the cats, dogs, and the fish knowledge. I was thinking of having a above ground display koi pond in the store as well, where people can see how happy the full grown Koi are in a proper habitat.

The SW part of the store is a bit unknown territory to me as well, but I am doing my research!

Hoping that I can have a decent sized breeding area in the stock room area that way they can be locally bred and healthy. For the fish of course, not for the pups and kits.

I was thinking about building all the tanks that would be for sale (the ones customers buy) but I'm a bit worried it would prove too much trouble.

I am also thinking of a specially designed betta area to where they aren't in little cups for days on end as well.

I do appreciate the HUGE vote of confidence as well Jomo! And if you have any other advice for me as well as anyone else who wants to pitch in, it would be WELL APPRECIATED! Also I know about all the licencing i need. Kinda daunted by this mountain but I will get there!

10. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

You cannot start a business in US without a lawyer. You should probably talk to a lawyer before you go much further.

He will set you up legally, registering your business properly and he will inform you of all the laws, by-laws, regulations and God knows what else is required in your community.

He will also help you to find insurance that could be required in your community. The insurance fees may dissuade you from doing dog grooming at least at the beginning, but I suppose fish insurance will not be that much.

11. WolfaraRose Member Member

AH! Good to know! Thanks once again for that! That would help me out quite a bit since I was researching it myself lol.

12. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, you'd need a lawyer for several reasons. You have to incorporate (which you can easily do now, as there are companies that offer that service and only that service), and a lawyer will tell you the best structure. There's LLCs, S corp, C corps, and others. You also might need bonded employees since live animals are involved. My dog walker and all her employees are licensed and bonded. And so on...

13. WolfaraRose Member Member

Woof! The task list gets bigger lol. So the point is Better Call Saul...lol

14. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Right! It sounds like a lot more than it is.

15. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

Just make sure you get a lawyer that deals with this kind of thing, don't hire a divorce lawyer, or a litigator even though they will say that they will come cheaper.

16. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't say you HAVE to get a lawyer to start a business, but it does help tremendously. The biggest thing is to just figure out what all licenses and permits you need and go from there. It takes a ton of research, time, and asking around, but it can be done.

17. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I think that's what you want to remember to reach your dream. It can be done if you want it. jetajockey has a business running right now, so it's relevant advice.

18. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Another huge reason that startups fail in their first year (or few months) is debt. So with whatever you end up doing, build it slowly and don't take out any substantial loans until you have steady income to repay them. Figure out what you can do to avoid huge overhead costs. Don't go out and secure a storefront just because you may have a loan approval to do so. Try setting up at local flea markets on the weekends, farmers markets, etc. Operate out of your home as long as possible. It's not as lucrative as a retail storefront, but it is much cheaper. And your customers are not going to just pour in whether you have an actual shop or work from home. It takes time to advertise, get your name out there, and build a customer base.

Odds are your business model will change over time as you figure out what works and what doesn't work for you, the last thing you need in that situation is a huge loan payment to deal with as well.

19. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The business sounds like a great idea, I know some things are different there from here but the basics are the same.
    I looked into doing something similar a few years ago.
    Don't be over ambitious at the beginning start with the basics & build from there & make sure you have the right financial & legal advice.
    Start up costs can be huge so make sure you have the finances & don't overextend yourself.
    There is not a lot of profit to be made on the fish themselves even if you breed a lot yourself. Most fish take a few months to get to a saleable size & in the meantime you have to house & feed them which is costing you money & bringing nothing in.
    The non profit rescue is a lovely idea but again could end up costing you a lot of money.
    I'm sorry if I sound negative, but it's best to be aware of the pitfalls before you go ahead, I hope you do & are successful so keep us updated on your progress :)

20. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

This all sounds really wonderful and exciting. Come up with a plan that divides everything into realizable chunks, so that you don't take on too much all at once. Figure out which will make you some money first and focus on that, get it self-sufficient before you move on to adding another part of business. Also be very discerning about picking reliable people, and once you find them, keep your eyes open, so that you don't rely on them too heavily, throwing them into positions that aren't best for their abilities. About trying to get permission from Disney, they won't let you because they have the best lawyers space ;)
    Have fun with all those animals!