I am giving up the sorority!!!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by critter_fritter79, Apr 11, 2010.

1. critter_fritter79Well Known MemberMember

I have made a few decisions about my fish the last few days, and one of them is that the sorority has got to GO! I haven't had any trouble with aggression, but I haven't really been comfortable with this tank since I set it up...I just keep waiting for the fighting to start. Not to mention it is impossible to condition a single female for breeding or even regulate how much food each gets. I was not planning on doing anymore spawns until around the end of June, but I now have 5 females that are very close to being egg bound! 2 of them have sweethearts on the way from Thailand as we speak so I am just going to cut their food a lot until the males are here and adjusted, but the other 3 got put in spawn tanks this afternoon. So much for my vacation! LOL!

2. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Awww, I'm sorry Critter. But at least now you dont have to keep worrying about them fighting.

3. critter_fritter79Well Known MemberMember

I am not at all upset about breaking up the sorority... It is honestly a relief! I had been trying to figure out where to house everyone when I started the tank in the first place. It was more out of needing the space then it was that I wanted it ... Now that I have decided to sell all the adults from my store lines and concentrate on my show lines, I will have all the room I need to house everyone seperately. The only upsetting part is the egg bound females. I didn't want to spawn right now but am going to anyway to prevent hurting my females by letting themget even more egg bound. I have done 3 spawns at once before and it really is a bit much to try and keep up with!

4. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

3 spawns at once....Critter! Thats crazy....o_O No wonder your booked lol. But you are waitting until June right...?

5. critter_fritter79Well Known MemberMember

sadly no...I added the males to their spawn tanks and the females to the chimneys about 3 hours ago... Time to stock up on the red bull!! I am going to try and hold off on the other 2 as long as I can. I am going to separate the other 2 females that are really eggy and put them on 1/2 feedings, but if they don't get any slimmer, I am going to have to set up those 2 as soon as the males are ready...in about 3 weeks. Sadly my last 2 spawns didn't fare too well...there are only about a dozen fry left in those 2 combined... I think the water here in Mo is crappy...thinking about investing in an RO filter for the house...

6. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

RO water I hear is the best you can use. I with I had the money to get one I would in a heart beat! Have you tried the 5 hour energy shots? They work really good.

7. critter_fritter79Well Known MemberMember

lol..I already keep well stocked on the 5 hour energy! Daily wc's on all the jarred fry plus the males containers and the big tank plus feeding, washing cups and all the other fish stuff I do keeps me busy 5-6 hours a day...then I get to relax by being a Mom...between the 2 of us, we have 5! The oldest is 14 and the youngest just turned 5... I need all the energy I can get but honestly, I wouldn't change a thing!!

8. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Lol Critter you must be an amazing Mom. Your so devoted. I dont see how you get through it. I did water changes on all 8 of my tanks today....I have to say I am really tired now, it took me 2 hours to finish them all up.

9. FlyfrodValued MemberMember

Good Luck! I think 2 would be my limit.

10. critter_fritter79Well Known MemberMember

lol..I need all the luck I can get! honestly, I have gotten lucky enough to get my kids addicted to the bettas too! So I always have at least a few helping hands...sometimes more than a few!

11. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Lol I dont have a problem with working kids. You cant get enough help sometimes.

12. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Best of luck critter :D

13. fishtroyWell Known MemberMember

Good luck! what a lot of work but how exciting!

14. critter_fritter79Well Known MemberMember

Thanks! betta breeding really is a full time job, but it is also the best job I have ever had! I have to admit though, I don't expect too much from 2 of these 3 spawns... 2 of the males are chronic egg eaters, but they always spawn big, getting every possible egg from the females. I can hope that there won't be any egg eating this time, but if so, I won't be too upset! These spawns are more to relieve the pressure on the females than a planned spawning attempt...

15. cajunfibercoWell Known MemberMember

So critter tell me, howlong does it take to do wc's on a single spawn's fry once they've been seperated? I am thinking maybe when my son is in school I will look further into breeding, I will have more time then.

16. Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

We just installed an RO system. It's so great. No more mad scientist mixing the treated water.:;banaman. We try to keep 5- 5gal. jugs filled at all times. So nice to just go and fill up a bucket of water .

17. cajunfibercoWell Known MemberMember

Do you guys know about adding minerals and stuff back to RO water b/c it's too pure for fish?

18. critter_fritter79Well Known MemberMember

My mom had RO water at her place. I treated it with prime like I always do and they all seemed to do really well in it... The wc's take a while, bug a lot of it is spent just watching. To drain water for a wc on the small fry, I use a piece of airli e with an air stone on the end inthe tank to keep from sucking out the fry...so the water drains very slowly. To add water to them, I get it as close to the same temp as I can and then very slowly drip it in with the same air line.. Not exactly hard work, just a lot of time and patience!

19. cajunfibercoWell Known MemberMember

that's a great idea to do a suction with an airstone! wow that's got to take awhile

20. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Sorry if I sound stupid, but how would that work? I have guppy fry (woo, adventurous!) that are a pain to clean out due to the sucking up paranoia, would love to know how the airstone method actually works!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice