I am getting a GSP & I need all the advice I can get!

Jacklynn
Member
Hello everyone,
So I've welcome myself in the introduction forums, as some of you may have seen I recently got 3 smaller aquariums and I am in the process of setting them up! I made an ad looking for fish near me, and I got a reply from a very nice man who is looking to rehome his 12 year old Green Spotted Puffer. His current owner & I chatted on the phone this evening, and he knows that I am not a fish expert, but he's very willing to teach me everything I need to know, so that's wonderful. We have concluded that perhaps the best method would be for me to come and pick up the 55 gallon tank that he is not using at the moment and bring it back to my house and get the water cycling started for Finnian (that is his name, so cute, apparently he's quite the character!), and than after the water levels are where they should be, then I will go back to his house, pick up Finnian, pick up the 75 gallon tank, bring Finnian home, put him in the 55 gallon (which will be cycled at this point, whenever that may be, his owner is in no rush, he's just getting out of the fish hobby from what it sounds like!) & immediately start setting up the 75 gallon for him to eventually move back into.

Does this all sound like a good plan? Any tips or advice? I realize this little dude is past his average life expectancy, but I would love to see him do well and thrive after the move.

Thanks everyone!
 
Asomeone
Member
I thought you were talking about green star polyps....but puffers are fun too.
If you haven't already found fishlores page on em Green Spotted Puffer Fish Care - Size, Lifespan, TankMates, Breeding here it is.
Given that its an older fish I would definitely try to keep the water as similar as possible for as long as possible. Especially if the fish has been acclimated to the same water for 12 years. So what does your house water test like? Are there different trace elements in your source water vs his? I would also ask if he would be willing to give you some of the biological media he is using to help seed your tank.
Furthermore, I'm sure you're aware these are brackish fish. Therefore its very important you understand what that entails. There is more to worry about than just freshwater. You'll need to consider that you will need mixing areas and a place to store mixed water with a pump and heater for general and if emergency water changes are needed. Since you'll likely need about 20 gallons per water change its definitely something to consider space-wise. I know some people's significant others arent too thrilled with a trash can in the kitchen. Equipment should also be considered as you'll need saltwater specific testing kits as well as a refractometer.
Edit: if he is already using RODI water you're very likely going to need to purchase an rodi system to match that water quality.
On top of this I forgot to mention something to consider. Puffers can be hard to feed so ensure you have a secured source of live food. Maybe this puffer has been acclimated to prepared foods but in general, I think they mostly prefer live or frozen snails and such. Its something to consider as it is a continuous and added expense.
Edit 2: Salt is also not cheap so its another continued expense to factor into your choices.
 
  • Thread Starter
Jacklynn
Member
Asomeone said:
I thought you were talking about green star polyps....but puffers are fun too.
If you haven't already found fishlores page on em Green Spotted Puffer Fish Care - Size, Lifespan, TankMates, Breeding here it is.
Given that its an older fish I would definitely try to keep the water as similar as possible for as long as possible. Especially if the fish has been acclimated to the same water for 12 years. So what does your house water test like? Are there different trace elements in your source water vs his? I would also ask if he would be willing to give you some of the biological media he is using to help seed your tank.
Furthermore, I'm sure you're aware these are brackish fish. Therefore its very important you understand what that entails. There is more to worry about than just freshwater. You'll need to consider that you will need mixing areas and a place to store mixed water with a pump and heater for general and if emergency water changes are needed. Since you'll likely need about 20 gallons per water change its definitely something to consider space-wise. I know some people's significant others arent too thrilled with a trash can in the kitchen. Equipment should also be considered as you'll need saltwater specific testing kits as well as a refractometer.
Edit: if he is already using RODI water you're very likely going to need to purchase an rodi system to match that water quality.
On top of this I forgot to mention something to consider. Puffers can be hard to feed so ensure you have a secured source of live food. Maybe this puffer has been acclimated to prepared foods but in general, I think they mostly prefer live or frozen snails and such. Its something to consider as it is a continuous and added expense.
Thank you so much for you reply! I have read through that page, as well as a few other different websites that I came across when I researched their care, I am aware they are brackish water, so no worries there either.

Thankfully he's coming with a smaller tank with a community of breeding snails, so the food part is taken care of, I guess that is what he's used too.

The man who's rehoming him as all the proper watering testing equipment and all that jazz, he said he's willing to give it to me, he said he basically has everything he needs. I am going to do some tests on my water though, now that you mention it, and ask for a comparison with his. He isn't too far from me - about 20 minutes in the city, so that isn't bad, the water shouldn't be too different.

I hadn't thought about where to store water, I am so glad you pointed that out, that has definitely given me something to think about, so thank you so much! I am very excited, I realize this is going to be a slower process, but it will be worth it in the end hopefully!
 
ChrissFishes01
Member
Green Spotted Puffers are fun! I've got one now who's around 4" - I had one in the past that I have for several years before he died in a tank move.

12 years is already pretty old for a GSP - old enough that I'd be concerned about stressing him too much. I'd find out what SG the guy is keeping his water at and match that as close as possible at home, and still do a drip acclimation. These puffers ARE brackish fish, so they can handle swings in salinity, but with him being so old, getting it close to perfect will be important. I wouldn't worry about using RODI water - it can help with algae if your tap water is bad, but it's not required. All of my FOWLR saltwater tanks use treated tap, and I haven't had issues.

I'd also make sure that the guy has his parameters correct out of the gate. If he's lived 12 years I'm sure they're fine, but double checking won't hurt. Most important things would be that SG is over 1.015 or so, and that nitrates stay below 40-80. Puffers can be sensitive to poor water quality (more so than most fish), so I'm always a big advocate of water changes, or protein skimmers, when applicable.

My puffer eats anything remotely meaty that goes into the tank. Frozen Gulf Shrimp, frozen Krill (in moderation), frozen clams, live snails, live shrimp, bloodworms, blackworms, live earthworms, live feeder crabs, and the occasional bit of squid. Feeding shouldn't be an issue with these guys, as long as you don't expect to feed dry foods.
 
Jesterrace
Member
It seems to be debatable, but some say that they should be full salt when mature like that. Any idea what salinity level it has been kept at?
 
Cup1
Member
Jesterrace said:
It seems to be debatable, but some say that they should be full salt when mature like that. Any idea what salinity level it has been kept at?
Adult GSP SG range is usually from a brackish 1.15- around 1.20 but they can also go into full marine quite a few people have had success with it, but if this fish is not already in a full marine tank at 12 years old I wouldn't try to acclimate him to full marine and just keep him at the SG he's currently at.
 
Cherryshrimp420
Member
Uhhh I would not recommend keeping a GSP as your first fish

It's quite a commitment in time and money...

Their diet is not cheap....like feeding a small child plus their water fouls really quickly as a result which means a lot of work to keep clean...
 
Asomeone
Member
Cherryshrimp420 said:
Uhhh I would not recommend keeping a GSP as your first fish

It's quite a commitment in time and money...

Their diet is not cheap....like feeding a small child plus their water fouls really quickly as a result which means a lot of work to keep clean...
Dont discourage peeps from keeping fish. If shes willing to learn the methods theres no reason she cant do so. Theres no reason she wont be able to care for the fish if she understands the procedures required for the fish. It's not some advanced coral that requires .01 of kalk to maintain growth. Not to mention she stated this wasn't her first fish and she has a couple tanks.
 
  • Thread Starter
Jacklynn
Member
Cherryshrimp420 said:
Uhhh I would not recommend keeping a GSP as your first fish

It's quite a commitment in time and money...

Their diet is not cheap....like feeding a small child plus their water fouls really quickly as a result which means a lot of work to keep clean...
The cost of their diet isn't a problem for me - nor is the keeping the tank clean! I am usually home 24/7, a lot of the time alone during the week while my boyfriend is at work, I am willing to put the time and money into taking care of him, and he's coming with a community of established breeding snails, that the guy has kept going for years, so that is a bonus.
 
  • Thread Starter
Jacklynn
Member
Asomeone said:
Dont discourage peeps from keeping fish. If shes willing to learn the methods theres no reason she cant do so. Theres no reason she wont be able to care for the fish if she understands the procedures required for the fish. It's not some advanced coral that requires .01 of kalk to maintain growth. Not to mention she stated this wasn't her first fish and she has a couple tanks.
Thank you! I am very willing to learn - and excited too! I used to have fancy guppies, which are quite different from a puffer, and puffers require more work, but I am totally okay with that! I can't wait to introduce ya'll to Finnian! He's such a cute little dude. I am going to meet his owner and meet him next weekend when I pick up the 55 gallon to bring home and get set up! Can't wait!
 
fish 321
Member
Asomeone said:
I thought you were talking about green star polyps....but puffers are fun too.
If you haven't already found fishlores page on em Green Spotted Puffer Fish Care - Size, Lifespan, TankMates, Breeding here it is.
Given that its an older fish I would definitely try to keep the water as similar as possible for as long as possible. Especially if the fish has been acclimated to the same water for 12 years. So what does your house water test like? Are there different trace elements in your source water vs his? I would also ask if he would be willing to give you some of the biological media he is using to help seed your tank.
Furthermore, I'm sure you're aware these are brackish fish. Therefore its very important you understand what that entails. There is more to worry about than just freshwater. You'll need to consider that you will need mixing areas and a place to store mixed water with a pump and heater for general and if emergency water changes are needed. Since you'll likely need about 20 gallons per water change its definitely something to consider space-wise. I know some people's significant others arent too thrilled with a trash can in the kitchen. Equipment should also be considered as you'll need saltwater specific testing kits as well as a refractometer.
Edit: if he is already using RODI water you're very likely going to need to purchase an rodi system to match that water quality.
On top of this I forgot to mention something to consider. Puffers can be hard to feed so ensure you have a secured source of live food. Maybe this puffer has been acclimated to prepared foods but in general, I think they mostly prefer live or frozen snails and such. Its something to consider as it is a continuous and added expense.
Edit 2: Salt is also not cheap so its another continued expense to factor into your choices.
Haha! I automatically think green star polyps when I see gsp too.
 
Top Bottom