I am furious

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I was getting my tank setup, and its used with some scratches. but I used the kent pro scraper from dfs, barley touching the glass, now I have scratches all throught the front of the tank. It looks horrible. Any ideas. I only paid 300 for a beautiful cutom stand, and 75 gallon tank, but I was trying to keep this project under 500 dollars. I don't want to replace the tank.

chrisb01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know your frustration. However, 75 gal. tanks come with thick, tempered glass. It is not impossible to replace the front glass, but considering the cost, time and trouble, it probably be a lot easier to replace the tank.

I'm going to assume that when you bought this tank it was already empty. After you filled it with water it showed all the scratches you could not see when it was empty. A common occurrence when buying used thanks.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is the tank such that you can turn it around so the scratches are on the back?

phishyitis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
^^^good idea!

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could you replace the one glass? I'm not sure if that can be done or not. Maybe a glass company know a way to buff out the scratches?

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I assume the scratches are on the inside? If there on the outside you can use a headlight repair kit to fix the glass but, I'm pretty sure it won't work on the inside due to leaching of the chemicals. Where do you live our LFS has a few for sale cheap, due to going out of business?

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I live in maryland. the back had scratches when I bought it, but was not worried due to have rock work in front of it. the front had a lot of hardwater stains, but not that many scratches. I think it got scratched from using the kent pro aquarium scraper. but they may have been there not sure. I read somewhere that you can use toothpaster and buff them out, or a jelwrey chemical, not sure what its called.

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have heard of the toothpaste method. It is a gentle abrasive, but I can't confirm or deny its effectiveness I'm afraid!

Keep us posted - I am sure there are many fishlorians who would like to know a way to get small scratches out of their glass!!

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hows your problem now?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends how deep the scratches are?

Toothpaste does work on soft/light scratches in glass. You'd want to do some research (google) about using it on tempered/float glass though.

You could also try some very fine wet/dry emery paper. Available at any hardware store. Again, check what it would do to tempered/float glass first. Then, if it is safe, wet the emery paper and try it on a hidden (or to be hidden) area of the tank first.

CAUTION: Be prepared that these solutions could possibly make it worse! Always test on an inconspicuous area first!

Glass is extremely difficult to 'repair', especially aquarium glass, which is generally called float glass.

Good luck.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
well after much research, I have found out cerium oxide, and a buffer does this trick. I'm going to order some today and give it a shot, on a old piece of glass first and see how it works. I will let you know the outcomes.

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
keep us posted.

utty

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Brokenwing is that the equivelant of polishing it down? I was thinking you might be able to "sand" the scratches out by polishing it down just past the scratch depth. I don't have the right vocabulary for what I am saying. Buffer. That sounds like what I am trying to say. Perhaps we are on the same page. Anyway I would be so frustrated after spending so much money and then having to wait and find solutions to these problems.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads