Question I Am Considering A Bird, What Types Are Best For A Beginner?

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi there,
I am considering adding a bird to our family and was looking for input/suggestions as to what type of bird would be best especially since I am a novice to having birds. I did have a parakeet once quite a few years ago and loved and enjoyed having him.I have always wanted to get a bird again and would love any advice. Birds I am considering would be possibly a cockatiel, or one of the smaller types of parrots. I am very much in the beginning stages of research so any and all advice would be welcome, also if there are any sites/forums, recommended reading that you trust I would love & appreciate that info too.

Other pets in our home besides lots of fish are 1 dog and 3 cats (1 cat is an 18 years young gentleman and 2 12 week old kittens)

Thanks!

WyrdCory

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I too have been doing research on getting a bird even though I can only get one once I live on my own (in a few years). I'm pretty sure I want a cockatiel. I found this (Home) wonderful and informative site while looking for Finnish breeders. The site is Finnish but everything (except for some of the articles and blog posts, I think) has been translated into English. I'll definitely get my cockatiel from the writer of this site if she still does breeds cockatiels when it's my time to get one!

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi Crispii
My preference would be a bird that is social, likes to interact with people and enjoys being handled etc.

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've kept parrots for many years. To fit your requirements, I'd recommend a green cheek conure. They're small, super playful and very affectionate. They're the perfect sized parrot IMO. Parakeets and cockatiels are not nearly as affectionate.

Just a small note on birds if you're ever considering them:

They are the messiest, moodiest, neediest animals you will ever have. They demand a lot of time, attention, and cleaning. IMO, a dog or fish is 10x easier than a parrot. They are so messy and they get depressed very easily if not constantly socialized. They are true flock animals and do best when in the presence of their own kind. Birds are not really domestic creatures and are more wild in nature, unlike dogs or even fish like guppies. I'd only recommend someone get a parrot if they truly want it and are ready for a 20+ year commitment.

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've kept parrots for many years. To fit your requirements, I'd recommend a green cheek conure. They're small, super playful and very affectionate. They're the perfect sized parrot IMO. Parakeets and cockatiels are not nearly as affectionate.

Just a small note on birds if you're ever considering them:

They are the messiest, moodiest, neediest animals you will ever have. They demand a lot of time, attention, and cleaning. IMO, a dog or fish is 10x easier than a parrot. They are so messy and they get depressed very easily if not constantly socialized. They are true flock animals and do best when in the presence of their own kind. Birds are not really domestic creatures and are more wild in nature, unlike dogs or even fish like guppies. I'd only recommend someone get a parrot if they truly want it and are ready for a 20+ year commitment.
Thanks so much for the information and for sharing your experiences. Will keep all of that in mind & I will definitely put a lot of thought, research and consideration into my decision. I appreciate your response very much!

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I too have been doing research on getting a bird even though I can only get one once I live on my own (in a few years). I'm pretty sure I want a cockatiel. I found this (Home) wonderful and informative site while looking for Finnish breeders. The site is Finnish but everything (except for some of the articles and blog posts, I think) has been translated into English. I'll definitely get my cockatiel from the writer of this site if she still does breeds cockatiels when it's my time to get one!
Thanks for providing that link, I will check it out for sure. LMK if you end up getting one, good luck!

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My family had birds for a very long time and I have a few tips you may benefit from!
Keep the bird and its cage in a room away from the other animals, preferably behind a closed door.
If there are windows in the birds room make sure theyre covered whenever you let it out.
Make sure all wires and anything you dont want chewed are covered.
Your bird will probably scream when the sun comes up, if you put a sheet over the cage it usually helps keep them quieter.
Always have backup chews and perches and cuttlebones.
They will 100% poop on everything. Wait for it to dry and it will just flake off like dirt.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Crispii
My preference would be a bird that is social, likes to interact with people and enjoys being handled etc.
I never had any experiences with birds other than finches, but I heard that budgies and cockatiels are good beginner birds if you want interaction.

MartyE

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have found the finch farm to be a great source for pet birds. They have more than finches. Their customer service is really good and I found them to be more than happy to answer questions.

Here is a link to their website. I am not affiliated with them. Just found them to be a willing resource for my inquiries.

www.thefinchfarm.com

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I never had any experiences with birds other than finches, but I heard that budgies and cockatiels are good beginner birds if you want interaction.
Finches are adorable, I love the sounds they make, way too cute! Thanks!

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have found the finch farm to be a great source for pet birds. They have more than finches. Their customer service is really good and I found them to be more than happy to answer questions.

Here is a link to their website. I am not affiliated with them. Just found them to be a willing resource for my inquiries.

www.thefinchfarm.com
I will check them out, thanks for the link!

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have cockatiels. Great great birds but theyre dusty and trigger my allergies something awful, so be prepared just in case. An air purifier is recommended as well as weekly or daily mist baths to help keep their dust down. Their flock calling can be very shrill, and some hormonal males can be little turds when moody, but thats an individual trait rather than a whole species concern. Males also tend to be noisier and louder. Females can be prone to chronic egg laying. They all look female until they have their first adult molt (anywhere between 4 months to 12 months but average 6 months). I have both male and female and theyre good birds and are more docile than most parrots their size.

However, i REALLY recommend a green cheek conure or maroon belly conure. Even a black capped conure if you can find one. Theyre all really well balanced for a parrot. More needy than a cockatiel but not as difficult as the larger parrots. Theyre playful and super social and if well socialized they love to be handled and snuggle. As with all parrots they can be nippy, but its not as bad as a lovebird or parrotlet lol my neighbours in my apartment all have a green cheek and theyre such amazing birds.

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have cockatiels. Great great birds but theyre dusty and trigger my allergies something awful, so be prepared just in case. An air purifier is recommended as well as weekly or daily mist baths to help keep their dust down. Their flock calling can be very shrill, and some hormonal males can be little turds when moody, but thats an individual trait rather than a whole species concern. Males also tend to be noisier and louder. Females can be prone to chronic egg laying. They all look female until they have their first adult molt (anywhere between 4 months to 12 months but average 6 months). I have both male and female and theyre good birds and are more docile than most parrots their size.

However, i REALLY recommend a green cheek conure or maroon belly conure. Even a black capped conure if you can find one. Theyre all really well balanced for a parrot. More needy than a cockatiel but not as difficult as the larger parrots. Theyre playful and super social and if well socialized they love to be handled and snuggle. As with all parrots they can be nippy, but its not as bad as a lovebird or parrotlet lol my neighbours in my apartment all have a green cheek and theyre such amazing birds.
Interesting, thank you for the info. I have read some of what you described while doing some research during lunch. It is always helpful to hear about people's experiences. Conures are one that I am looking into, they sound like really interesting and fun birds as well. My husband had love birds years ago and he said they were little brats, ha ha. No offense to anyone that has love birds! No judgement here, most of the animals I have already are brats

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My husband had love birds years ago and he said they were little brats, ha ha. No offense to anyone that has love birds! No judgement here, most of the animals I have already are brats
I had two older ones that passed away this year. They ARE brats lol i wouldn't recommend them for what you are looking for in a bird. Theyre funny and adorable birds, theyre comical and very playful, but theyre not very friendly towards those not accepted as their "person" or "partner bird". Very often cage aggressive and territorial to the point of maiming other creatures lol and chatty nonstop noise and their chirps are pretty harsh on the ears. Theyre not afraid of much either, for their tiny size they think theyre an eagle. Theyre the chihuahuas of the bird world, only with a can opener for a face.

omaxem

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
+1 on the finches, from my experience with them once they get familiar with you they really do enjoy human company ( at a distance, from outside the cage ) Our zebras were so tame that we could leave the cage door open and they'd just come out for a spin in our yard and then went back in when it started getting dark.

Also +1 on the parakeets, my dad used to breed them, and i used to train the babies when i was a kid. Nothing too fancy, just getting on your finger, or your shoulder and then walking around the house, stuff like that. One thing to have in mind re: Parakeets: If you want interaction, one is better than two. If you just get one, he/she will look for you and your family for social contact, where as if you get two, they'll get it from each other. Also good to have in mind: You have to be willing to be there for your bird when it needs that interaction ( and parrots really DO need it ). Also also good to have in mind: Parrots are LOUD.

Yes, even parakeets.

Otherwise, canarys are super skidish, blackbirds are kinda jerks and pigeons are, uhm... delicious :mask:

bobbyta74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My family had birds for a very long time and I have a few tips you may benefit from!
Keep the bird and its cage in a room away from the other animals, preferably behind a closed door.
If there are windows in the birds room make sure theyre covered whenever you let it out.
Make sure all wires and anything you dont want chewed are covered.
Your bird will probably scream when the sun comes up, if you put a sheet over the cage it usually helps keep them quieter.
Always have backup chews and perches and cuttlebones.
They will 100% poop on everything. Wait for it to dry and it will just flake off like dirt.
I don’t want to be that guy and I may be wrong (no experience whatsoever), but IIRC cuttlebones contain sharp pieces that could possibly injure your bird, and they aren’t that necessary.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom