I Am Concerned; He Seems Blind?? Help

1. Phrixi

Phrixi New Member Member

1) My family and I went on a vacation for a week, and we didn’t have anyone at home to take care of my opaline gourami, so we put one of those feeding pellet things that are supposed to feed fish for multiple days. When we came back, he seemed fine, but his dark spots and some of his stripes had faded considerably. Is this ok? Should I be worried?
    The pellet thing was gone. I changed 25% of the water and fed him. Everything was more or less normal other than his appearance.

2) Last night, I forgot to feed him. ( me, I can’t even take care of my own fish child for some reason oh goodness I need sleep) Just now I woke up randomly and, realizing my mistake, I got up to feed him. That’s when I noticed he was feeling around the tank with his whisker antennae things. He definitely got more active when I turned on the lights, but I watched as he nearly face planted on the pump, bump into the heater, and pretty much not notice that the food was in the tank at all. It’s as if he suddenly became blind. He was fine yesterday. (Here’s a video of him: he’s usually very afraid of my phone. Now, it’s like he didn’t see it.)
    I usually feed him after dinner, so all the lights in the living room are on during a normal feeding. Today I fed him in a completely dark setting, except for the light in the tank. Not sure if that affects anything. Goodness, I have written a lot. But uh thanks for reading all that. (Sorry if it’s not the most coherent; it’s 3:25 am and I’m really tired)

2. tetratetris

tetratetris Valued Member Member

Maybe hes just an idoit

3. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

i suppose something could have happened to him while you were gone. i've heard not so very nice things about those vacation feeders. did you test the water parameters to see if there were any spikes? i hope he gets better :(

4. Turbo2324

Turbo2324 Valued Member Member

Was the room completely dark before turning on the tank light? Because fishes eyes can’t adjust to light very quickly it can take around 30 minutes for them to adjust so if you don’t turn a light on somewhere in the room first it can leave them blind for a bit atleast till there eyes adjust to the light so see if he goes back to normal after an hour or so of the light being on that was the problem if not it may be something bigger

5. OP
    OP
    Phrixi

Phrixi New Member Member

Ah. Yeah that’s probably it; he seemed back to normal this morning. Thanks!