I Am Back And Better Than Before

a&j's_tank
check itt out I got a 55gal tank
its getting ready to have fish put in there
I got 50 gls of reg water
and then I got 5 gls of water from my ten gl

my ph is having a hard time of coming down, its at 7.5
My anmonal is sitting in the middle, and I need to know the best way to get that down.
I have all these little bubbles stuck to the side of the tank?
Right now there's no fish in there.

I have been letting this run scince 1 am today, I need cycling explained better.

Its a nice tank set up. I am using a bio-wheel, a 200 watt heater.

I just need some help on getting my p/h and anmonal down before I start putting fish in it.

a&j's_tank
ammnoia(cant spell)

I have 3 zebras, a molly, and a pleco that are going forma 10gal to this tank
I plan doing it one by one

FL CommunityFans
Not so sure about your stand there. The corners are going to be stressed with the water pushing on them, and they won't have the proper base to go to support for. You could see that tank collapsing in the future if kept as it is.

a&j's_tank
its not gonna be there for ever I am getting a stand within a month

FL CommunityFans
I'd wait then until you have the stand before adding water, etc to it. If you have already, then what's done is done. When you do move it, be sure to take out all water, rocks/sand/gravel, ornaments as any extra weight can cause cracks as the tanks are not designed to 'carry' things. It is quite possible to cause stress/fracture points that could cause a break/ripple/crack in the glass over time.

SereneReyn
I agree with FL... might be best to wait for a proper stand... I think walmart has stands for a 55 pretty cheap.

also, what are your current readings? are you using strips or liquid for testing? strips are unreliable, liquid is much preferred. Are you 'feeding' your tank to get it cycled, or are you using filter media from your 10g? I would advise against altering the Ph.... fish can adapt to a less than ideal Ph, and changing it to make it ideal will only stress them. so unless it's ridiculously off, don't worry about it.

also, if it were me, I would put the heater in a more 'central' location... and make sure that the water doesn't drop below the thermostat with evaporation or you'll cook your fish. and do you have an air pump? they're generally a good idea.

Lucy
I'd agree with with Serene about not altering your PH....7.5 is within the range for most all your fish (you don't say what kind of pleco you have).

Cycling...your tank needs to build up beneficial bacteria that 'eats' the ammonia caused by fish waste and left over food. Ammonia is toxic to fish.
There are a couple ways to do this:
1) Fish cycle....using fish to create the ammonia needed to feed bacteria (this method is not recommended)
2) Fish-less cycle....by letting your tank run and feeding the tank with fish food or pure ammonia.
3) Seeding your new tank with filter media from an established tank.
4) Using bio-spiro, which contains the beneficial bacteria your tank needs.

a&j's_tank
to help it get going ive done
-5gals of water from the 10gal tank
-oranaments from the 10gal uncleaned
-old filter from the 10gal
-4 zebras to help it get going

strips for ammonia
liquid for p/h

I put alittle food in the tank for them
I was told that I wouldnt need a air pump
and I will move the heater right now....

ammonia is at 2.5
p/h-7.5

how long do you think it will be before I can move my pleco, 3 other zebras, and my mollys

btw I am NOT getting rid of my pleco

SereneReyn
I would strongly suggest you get a liquid test kit, not only for ammonia, but also for nitrites and nitrates... the strips are just too inaccurate. I would NOT put the other fish in until the tank is finished cycling - but what filter are you using for your old tank that the fish are in - they cannot go without a filter...

I would also suggest that you read through the post about the nitrogen cycle, it'll give you a general idea of what to expect and all that.

you may not 'need' an air pump, but it is advisable.

aside from that, moving the decorations was a good idea, they have some bacteria... the water doesn't really have much. if you wanted to put a few scoops of gravel in a clean nylon stocking you could add that too. your filter is the best bet, but like I said, you can't leave the others without a cycled filter... depending on what kind it is, you could just use some media from it in your new filter.

a&j's_tank
I changed the filter in the old tank(10gal), so I took the old filter and put it with the 55

a&j's_tank
FL CommunityFans why are you running topfin filters, they are junk.

FL CommunityFans
FL CommunityFans why are you running topfin filters, they are junk.

Plenty well aware of that It's what we have atm, however. Won't be upgrading for 2-3 weeks. Both tanks were starter kits.

a&j's_tank
that's what the 55 gal was

I am selling the filter for the 55 for $30 shipped

unless people run double filters on 55 gal tanks?

FL CommunityFans
It definitely doesn't hurt to run double filters. More water agitation, and currents for the fish to play in, not to mention the added filtration

It's certainly not a need, but more like a luxury.

capekate
its not gonna be there for ever I am getting a stand within a month
A&J if you haven't already.. you really need to at least move that tank to the middle of the table there. In your photo all its weight is at the back... the weight of your tank on that table is going to collapse it. Or tip it for sure!
I would strongly listen to the above advise given you. A 55 gal tank holds about... 440 lbs of water! OMMGGG!! (roughly 8 lbs to a gallon of water ratio) Do you really think that table is going to hold that weight? You would be best off waiting til you have an aquarium stand suited for a 55 gallon tank.

~ kate

Lucy
ammonia is at 2.5
p/h-7.5
how long do you think it will be before I can move my pleco, 3 other zebras, and my mollys

I changed the filter in the old tank(10gal), so I took the old filter and put it with the 55

You really should get an API liquid test kit..when your Ammonia and Nitrites are both 0 and Nitrates are under 20, your tank will be cycled and it will be safe to move your fish. The strips are not accurate.

Did you move the filter or the filter media? Either way, the bacteria from the old media should seed your tank and bring your ammonia down as long and it didn't dry out and was kept in warm treated water..

If this is wrong, please, someone correct me.

a&j's_tank
so if this gonna help me big time
when can I drop my pleco in there
,y ammonia is at .5 right now

FL CommunityFans
so if this gonna help me big time
when can I drop my pleco in there
,y ammonia is at .5 right now

You're trying to rush things bud. Just be a bit more patient and wait a few days and test. You don't want those fish having a hard time with a new tank, right off the bat.

a&j's_tank
my bio wheel boxes

a&j's_tank
I checked the ammonia and it was a solid 3.0ppm
so I did a 50% water change
right move?

Lucy
yes, very good move. I asked in your other thread.....now I see the answer, you did transfer used media from your other tank.
It surprises me that your ammonia is so high.
Two things come to mind either your bacteria needs to catch up, being it's such a larger tank or there was ammonia in the tank water you transferred.
I stink at math, so this could be incorrect.....but a 50% water change should bring the ammonia down to 1.5, still toxic.

I would wait a little while and re-test it, then if need be, do another water change.

I'm still rather new myself, but that is what I would do.
Feel free to correct me.......especially my math

a&j's_tank
I will check it before I goto bed
I just hope I am cycling right

and check it in the morning

a&j's_tank
.5 at 11pm on march 9

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ivanjay205
Replies