I am about to kill the exterminator

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Thetanknwebie, Jul 4, 2015.

1. ThetanknwebieWell Known MemberMember

Hello all, as you can see from the title, I am very very upset.

Today the exterminator came to spray the house. He saw my 10g in the laundry room and said how nice the tank was. Then he says it would be a shame if those nasty bugs got in here. He then proceeds to thoroughly douse my tank with poison. douse. my. tank. with. poison. POISON. This is when my heart stops. At first I could not even move. Then he looks at me and asks if there was a problem. *insert nuclear explosion here* Needless to say I reacted explosively. In retrospect, I could have been a little more respectful and composed. I usually have a lot of patience but I could not even fathom the idea of someone spraying poison into my fish tank, on purpose!!!

Anyways, onto the fish, I did two 100% water changes in the past hour. I cleaned the hood (where most of the poison was sprayed). I washed the outside glass with soap and water, threw out the filter pad and bio wheel, and added Stability. I am expecting a mini cycle so I will be testing the water twice daily and do subsequent water changes. Will my fish pull through? My plants?

Tank stats:
    • 10g (overstocked) (note: I already bought a 29g at the dollar per gallon sale)
    • 1 Amazon sword
    • Lots of Java fern
    • 2 Banana plants
    • 1 dwarf gourami
    • 4 platy
    • 4 neon tetra
    • 4 rummy nose tetra

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Why not just switch out the tanks now? There could still be bug spray residue left.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. plecodragonWell Known MemberMember

If you don't mind what were you having them spray for? I thought you had to move your live animals if you spray, but since I haven't had to use an exterminator I don't know. Hope your fish make it. You are not only go to get a mini cycle it most likely will be the full cycle, as you removed the filter pad and bio wheel. There is still some bacteria on the gravel but watch your levels for the next while, but you already know this and are prepared which is good.

4. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Oh my gosh that's terrible! I'm so sorry for you!!!

I would do what Dom90 said and move the fish over to the other tank if possible and maybe, if you have any, do an instant cycle using filter media from another tank if you have one. Then, I would tear down the whole tank and do a very thorough cleansing of it. That's just my opinion. :)

Best of wishes. :)

5. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Also buy some Polyfilter and put it in a filter... or carbon if you can't get Polyfilter.

6. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Id definitely keep as much carbon in there as you can, changing it out every few days. This will pull any chemicals out of the water column that could potentially be hanging around still. Also if you can, now would be a great time to set the new tank up. Even with a smaller filter its a safer temporary option until you can get the rest of the stuff for the bigger tank.

Id probably flip out if this happened to me, you might even see me on the news. I have an extremely low tolerance for lack of common sense, for lack of a better term, and I am extremely serious when it comes to any potential for chemical contamination in my tanks. Best of luck, hope all works out, and keep us posted for sure.

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Why not just bypass all this unnecessary precautions and just set up the 29g.. He pretty much has to restart his cycle from scratch. Might as well do a fish-in cycle on the 29g now.

8. OP
    OP
    T

ThetanknwebieWell Known MemberMember

Thanks everyone for the replies. I already bought the tank and stand but the stand is on back order. It should get here sometime next week. I already have all the equipment for the other tank (filter, light, sand, etc) but I can't set it up without a stand. I'm going to buy a new, standard 10g (I have a half moon) and put them in there for now until my stand gets here.

9. OP
    OP
    T

Update: I went to petco and they had run out of 10g tanks. The only ones they had were kits. I was reluctantly going to buy one but on my way to the register I saw the 29g Brooklyn Stand so I put the kit back and bought one. When they cashier girl told me my total was $12.48 I was shocked. When I saw the receipt, the computer was charging $9 for the stand! $9 vs $50!!!!!! Amazing score!

10. EricV

EricVFishlore VIPMember

Should've gone back and cleaned out their stock at that price. Could've resold em and made yourself some $

11. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I think that's what people do during DPG sale. Buy all the 55s for $55 and sell for $100, regular price is like $180.

12. OP
    OP
    T

Yeah my 29g cpusually costs $60 without DPG discount

13. Rivieraneo

RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

What poison was sprayed? Do you have the name? If it was pyrethrum oil, you maybe ok.

14. EricV

EricVFishlore VIPMember

I was wondering that myself. A lot of the stuff exterminators use these days isn't particularly harmful to creatures other than what is being exterminated.

15. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Unless chemists have managed to make a non-toxic version of this stuff, pyrethrum oil is absolutely deadly to fish.

16. Rivieraneo

You may be thinking of the synthesis formed versus natural. Depends on amount of exposure.

17. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

You let him of a lot easier then i would of. I would be charging him for the coast of a replacement tank, the hrs of my time plus emotional distress and the cost to replace any future fish deaths. I would of had his and the companies haed on a platter

18. Aquaphobia

Also depends on water temperature for some compounds. Both synthetic and natural extracts are toxic to aquatic creatures though. Less so to mammals.

19. Rivieraneo

I don't disagree that it is toxic, but to what level if what was used was pyrethrum. Generally, everything we eat, breathe, etc has a level of measurable risk. Breathing in pollution is harmful, but for you to be severely affected by it in a short period of time, you would require high exposure and concentrations. My point being that we can breathe in small amounts of toxic air for a long time, and not have to take drastic measures to protect ourselves from it. If the poison concentration used was low enough to cause little effects to the tank inhabitants, then this scenario could be easily managed as suggested with water changes, carbon, and clean up versus replacing the entire tank.

20. Aquaphobia

Absolutely! However, perethroids are more toxic to fish than to most other mammals (except cats) because, depending on species, they just can't process it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice