I am a murderer....

aquafrogg

I ordered $80 chilI rasboras and when they got here today I noticed they had ich. I panicked and put them in a bucket of water with a heater and air stone and fake plants. Left them in there for about an hour until I realized they were acting really weird and absolutely panicked when I realized I forgot dechlorinator. dosed 2x the required dose of Prime. So mad at myself right now. There's atleast 4 or 5 dead now. 3 have finally started freely swimming and there's maybe 2 that are wiggling and I feel might start swimming soon.

Words can't begin to describe the horror I'm feeling right now. I killed these beautiful fish that had such a good shot at life.

Salem

I'm so sorry for your lose. We all make mistakes sometimes, even ones that we feel are stupid. I myself had a fish die recently and didn't perform a big enough water change afterwards, causing the ammonia spike to kill the other fish and my nerite snail and completely crash the cycle. It feels awful and it is awful but all we can do is learn from our mistakes.

aquafrogg

I'm so sorry for your lose. We all make mistakes sometimes, even ones that we feel are stupid. I myself had a fish die recently and didn't perform a big enough water change afterwards, causing the ammonia spike to kill the other fish and my nerite snail and completely crash the cycle. It feels awful and it is awful but all we can do is learn from our mistakes.
Oh my gosh I’m so sorry. That definitely is way worse than what happened to me. Please tell me you didn’t give up on the hobby and that you restarted your tank?

jinjerJOSH22

I ordered $80 chilI rasboras and when they got here today I noticed they had ich. I panicked and put them in a bucket of water with a heater and air stone and fake plants. Left them in there for about an hour until I realized they were acting really weird and absolutely panicked when I realized I forgot dechlorinator. dosed 2x the required dose of Prime. So mad at myself right now. There's atleast 4 or 5 dead now. 3 have finally started freely swimming and there's maybe 2 that are wiggling and I feel might start swimming soon.

Words can't begin to describe the horror I'm feeling right now. I killed these beautiful fish that had such a good shot at life.
That really sucks
I brought home 11 young Neon Tetra for a tank that was cycling, I decided to temporarily house them in another tank while it finished up unfortunately that tank was home to adult Tiger Barbs, who ate all but 2 overnight.
The worst part of this was I knew it was going to happen, at the shop I was debating on Harlequin Rasbora on the Neons, my argument was I could bring the Rasbora home today as they were a bit bigger but I'd have to wait until the tank was cycled for the Neons because of the Tigers. I ended up going against my better judgement because they were so pretty and they paid the price.

There's actually a prequel and a sequel to this story, to sum it up: about 2 weeks, I killed 11 Neons and 2 Bettas, 1 either side of getting the Neons. Not a good experience and all the deaths avoidable.

Mistakes happen try not to beat yourself up about it, just learn from it.

Sien

Oh gosh I'm sorry ! I did the same thing but caught myself. Rescued a betta, set up his hospital tank and everything, floated him, released him. 10 minutes later I realized I forget the water conditioner and panicked! This fish was already so sick and barely swimming, I thought it was over. You are not the first to make this mistake and I am sorry it happened.

StarGirl

So sorry that really sucks. :inpain: poor chilis.

Salem

Oh my gosh I’m so sorry. That definitely is way worse than what happened to me. Please tell me you didn’t give up on the hobby and that you restarted your tank?
I definitely didn't give up on the hobby and actually have a 20 long with a betta and several types of snails, this was in my second tank. I have temporarily taken a break from guppies because I seem to have terrible luck with them though. I'm still deciding on what to put into it once I have it ready for fish again though.

aquafrogg

Thank you for sharing your experiences, everyone. I certainly feel much better about what happened now. As of today only one is alive, but it is VERY alive. Swimming, eating, etc. I don’t know what to do with it. It’s by itself in a 2.5g bucket and the extra heater is broken so I’m having to constantly do water changes with warm water. Ugh. If I add it to my tank I feel like my betta will eat it (because it’s just one) and it also has ich so I will have to treat it. My brother’s 20 gallon has a single zebra danio because his others passed away. I wonder if they would get along, but they have differing temp requirements so that wouldn’t work very well. I’m at a loss. I can’t afford to get more right now because shipping is extremely expensive.

What do I do??

jinjerJOSH22

Thank you for sharing your experiences, everyone. I certainly feel much better about what happened now. As of today only one is alive, but it is VERY alive. Swimming, eating, etc. I don’t know what to do with it. It’s by itself in a 2.5 gallon bucket and the extra heater is broken so I’m having to constantly do water changes with warm water. Ugh. If I add it to my tank I feel like my betta will eat it (because it’s just one) and it also has ich so I will have to treat it. My brother’s 20 gallon has a single zebra danio because his others passed away. I wonder if they would get along, but they have differing temp requirements so that wouldn’t work very well. I’m at a loss. I can’t afford to get more right now because shipping is extremely expensive.

What do I do??
The second Betta in my story actually died because he tried to eat one of the surviving Neons and it got stuck.
Putting it with the Danio is probably the best bet and bring the temp up until you can sort something else.

aquafrogg

I have named my last survivor Lucky. Seemed fitting.

I went and got him an adjustable heater, a tiny brine net that he can fit in, and some stuff that is supposed to help treat ich. I raised the temp to 86 and will dose the medicine at half strength. Hopefully he will be good to go in a couple of weeks.

He seems pretty okay. He ate readily tonight when I mushed up some frozen brine shrimp. Still pale though. I can imagine why.

I am getting paid Saturday, so I will likely order some more this upcoming Monday. I will likely only get 5 more so that there will be 6 total because of money. Once the others get here, I will add them to his bucket so that he can be with them while they also get treated for ich.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Reorn44
Replies
Views
Deberber
Replies
Views
midna
Replies
Views