I Added 9 Amano Shrimp To My Tank!

1. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

I forgot to share this on the forum XD, just remembered. I realize my voice is high and I probably sound like I'm 12. don't worry, its cracky as heck right now and hopefully I will stop sounding like a tween within the next few months. Also, I hate the music to, I had an old mp3 royalty free music file on my desktop and decided I didn't feel like scouring music sharing websites. Enjoy!

2. liberosis4170

liberosis4170 Valued Member Member

Your shrimps are gunna' love those moss balls. My amino's turned bluish because of them. That's how you can tell if they are snacking on it. Nice Video. Amino shrimp are awesome creatures. They are also great hiders.

3. OP
    OP
    DylanM

Yeah, there is always at least 1 on a moss ball at any given time. But over the past month I've witnessed them on the driftwood a lot more. The lights on the tank are off right now, but I can count at least 5 on driftwood. I've gotten concerned that one has died every so often, but It always seems to eventually pop up. Apparently they dig a little too, because one had a burrow, that I did not make, underneath a piece of driftwood for about a week.

4. THE HABITAT

THE HABITAT Well Known Member Member

Amano Shrimp are Awesome!! I have 6 in my 55 and every so often they molt...It scared me half to death when i seen a shell swirling around my tank one day only to find out i came home later and found all 6...it kinda blew my mind at first....Great cleaners too...They also love my driftwood...but may get a moss ball for em too eventually!!! enjoy them

5. OP
    OP
    DylanM

Haha, I've pulled out about 8 molts in the past month. I know if it's a dead shrimp or a molt based on whether or not it collapses to mush when out of the water.

6. liberosis4170

I may be mistaken, but I don't think there really is a need to pull out the molts. the shrimp actually eat it for a nutritious snack while toughening up their new skin. :eek: They are great cleaners! Aminos are the only creature that helped me along to rid my tank of black beard algae.
    *edit: no harm done when you did take the molts out though*
    *another edit: noticed you were cautious with those pest snails that hitch hike on plants brought home. a great solution so you don't have to worry about those pests are snails called assassins.
    oWRJmGRuui._UX970_TTW_.jpg
    (click to see image)

7. THE HABITAT

I read you can leave it in the tank and the shrimp will take care of it and i'm sure your fish will also lend a hand in the removal of it...i think there is something beneficial in the molt which was the reason for leaving it in there

8. OP
    OP
    DylanM

Sorry, I actually didn't mean to say pull out, I have been leaving the molts in. A few have been sucked out through the gravel vac during water changes though.

9. liberosis4170

oh, no worries. : D

10. THE HABITAT

what is that plant you have with the broad leafs and long stems called...i have the same plant in my tank but seems the leaves are burning or the plant is beginning to die....

11. OP
    OP
    DylanM

It's an argentine sword, Mine did the same until I started dosing with seachem macros. The burning and holes are caused by a potassium or nitrogen deficiency I believe. Also, I recently started injecting DIY co2, which should help quite a bit.