I Actually Want More Algae Question

Discussion in 'Algae' started by jaderivf, Apr 23, 2019.

1. jaderivfNew MemberMember

Hi!
    I WANT more algae to feed my tank inhabitants. i have amano shrimp, nerite snails, two hillstream loaches, and three stiphodon gobies that feed on algae, biofilm, and aufwuchs. i'm going to get one more loach, and potentially move the shrimp and snails to a different tank. i do feed repashy super green (which i havent seen the loaches touch), and im waiting on a delivery of soilent green, and i feed omega one algae wafers, freezedried boodworms, and a bunch of different frozen foods, most meaty for my other critters. is there any way to grow algae and biofilm FAST without messing up parameters or leaving the lights on overnight? i was thinking about buying seachem phosphorus because it says that an algae bloom can occur if used in excess (yes, PLEASE). there is also glasgarten bacter ae, but it's so expensive!! i don't know... any thoughts or advice?? thanks!

2. GiulWell Known MemberMember

Some people will get a rubber ware container with some tank rocks and water and leave it in a sunny window still. That way you can grow quickly algae on an outside source to put into the tank

3. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

I've cultured "algae rocks" in windowsill locations many times in the past for specific fish. The idea works well, and the algae produced is usually very palatable to most algae-eating fish. You can also try to increase the photoperiod in your tank to grow more algae directly in there, but you then run the risk of promoting other types, such as hair algae, which many fish don't care for.

I have a tank of Ameca splendens livebearers. Before I got them, that tank had to be limited to no more than 7 hours of light daily, otherwise hair algae would appear. With the Amecas, I have the lights on for 12 hours daily; hair algae, as fast-growing as it is, can barely get a foothold now. Never thought I would be encouraging that stuff to grow...:)

As an aside: if you enjoy the natural look in an aquarium, then a couple pieces of driftwood with a coating of hair algae that is kept mowed down to a thin layer by hungry Amecas...looks terrific! :)

If you obsessively work towards a Better-Homes-and-Gardens style of tank, with every rock, pebble and piece of wood brushed to shiny sterility...then, no, move on, nothing to see here...:)

4. jaderivfNew MemberMember

i have had a shoebox-sized tub with several rocks in it under a strong LED for a couple weeks now; nothing. i've 'fed' some fish food and tank water so it has ammonia and a bunch of other nutrients, and nothing is happening, aside from an 'oil-slick' looking sheen on the surface. maybe it needs sunlight?? i don't know, because my tank doesnt have sunlight and it does grow algae well, just not as fast as my fish need it.

5. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

A "strong" LED may look like a lot of light...but it's nothing compared to direct sunlight in a window.

Use a clear container, use tank water to fill it and then whenever you do a water change in your aquarium, use some of that to refill the algae culture container. Once you get a growth going...and you will get one!...then cycle rocks between the tank and the algae container, but try not to remove all the algae rocks at one time, at least not until you start to get some growth on the walls as well. Think of the algae culture as being similar to the population of beneficial bacteria in your filter; keep a continuous healthy population going, rather than starting over constantly from scratch.

You can also attach some driftwood or other material up high in your aquarium, so that it is very close to the light; that will help to grow algae quickly on that surface without necessarily having it go out of control elsewhere.

6. jaderivfNew MemberMember

fabulous, thank you!!

7. toosieFishlore VIPMember

Also, use tank water so that there are nitrates and such in it. Don't use clean tap water. Algae likes nutrients too.