I Accept Your Challenge (And other betta escapades) Funny

1. hooxeii Well Known Member Member

Lily is not the oldest of my bettas, but she's definitely the most entertaining. Don't get me wrong--my boys are plenty of fun--but they're more creatures of habit. Kefentse, for example, will stare at me from behind the glass to discern whether or not I will be A) giving him food now, or B) giving him attention now. He will then dart/wiggle over to the pane of glass where he can see Gromit the goldfish from, act fierce and then retreat to his lair. Volly (Formerly named Hati; the name change was prompted by his personality coming out) is much the same.

Lily finds new and terrifying ways to remind me she's the princess of the house nearly every day.

She has decided that she is more than a match for our cat, JoJo. He's a lazy thing, mostly watching the fish and being a cat-shaped lump, so he never really does anything to antagonize her. However, she will gladly dart to wherever he is watching from and tease him. I am not sure if this is done out of interest or evil, really.

She is also terribly nosy. All fish are, because they are curious things, but she's nosy and aggressive. If the dogs come into the room to have a drink, she will swim over to the lowest possible point in her tank nearest them and watch them intently. Kiba, my husky, will nose the glass, which Lily absolutely hates.

Her worst little exploit, though, was quite scary. She discovered that there was a small dip in the filter where the bubbles come out, and declared this her hiding place of the day. I walked into the room where her tank is only to see a tiny blackish-blue head sticking out of the filter. I panicked, because I thought she'd become wedged inside or something. Then I realized that the water at that little dip is being pushed out, and sure enough, Lily comes out like "HA!"

... and people say fish are boring!

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

your post made me smile. :)

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

LOL too cute Hooxeii. I know that must have startled you a bit. I'm glad Lily is ok and doing well.
    Happy Holidays!:;shat
    Ken

4. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Thanks for maing me smile the females are definitely more cheeky than the males!

5. Omgami Member Member

Oh you make me want a female. Lilly sounds delightful, great story.

6. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Females are just adorable! Mine make me laugh daily....They jump out of the water when they see my hand above with food lol.....

So nice to hear about the love you have for your girls....

7. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

The boys have more then their share of looks... but they're attitudes must come from their moms :p
    My most agressive Betta is my female.

8. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Lily sounds like such a good time! I just got my first female and I have to tell you I am slightly surprised at how aggressive she is! She tries to attack me everytime I try to feed her. She has so much spunk which is funny because she is the smallest of my fish!

9. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

That's a really cute story! Betta personalities rock!

10. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

I love when bettas show their personality, they are such unique little characters.

My Electra (female) has taken to giving me a nightly heart attack.
    Every time I feed her she just waits until I have almost dropped the food in. . .
    then completely vertically straight she jumps nose first up and out of the water and then plops straight back in the same way. The first night I had a fit! Now every night she knows the routine and I literally see the cheeky look on her face and know she is just waiting for the right moment to scare me. Now every night I tell her 'Electra, don't do that!' and every night she completely ignores me and does it anyway!