I’m Thinking About Buying A Blood Parrot Chichlid?

1. Fishaholic58

Fishaholic58 Valued Member Member

Title says it all. (What food do they require, how big do they grow, minimum tank size, temperament, are they common in petstores?) thank you. If I do get one, it would be in a community tank with my fancy goldfish.... the temperature would be set appropriate for both fish. (about 75-78) I’ve heard that chichlids can be aggressive though. If so... scratch that idea.

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

3. L

Leah Beaver New Member Member

Blood Parrots are super cute and personable, but unfortunately can be very aggressive and territorial. The only other suitable tankmates would be other Chichlids. Also the Blood Parrots require warm temperatures, while goldfish require cooler temperatures. I have seen them often in my LFS as well as chain pet stores, but I would say that they wont be a good mix for you :(

4. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

personally i cant stand parrot cichlids, to each their own.

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/parrot-cichlids-to-be-cherished-or-avoided

5. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I think BP are nice the super shy as well. They can be bullies as well.

6. RainBetta

RainBetta Valued Member Member

Agreed. I wouldn't put them with a goldfish for these reasons, and temperature differences. What sized tank? Just curious

7. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Valued Member Member

My blood parrot is with an Oscar, a Green Terror, and paired firemouths and a rainbow shark and a pleco. for the most part my tank isn't as aggressive as you'd imagine with these guys, the blood parrot fights the most with the shark but that's because they both enjoy their 'man cave' surprisingly enough my Oscar is the least aggressive. Each fish are different.

8. OP
    OP
    Fishaholic58

I agree haha. Dentist has a blood parrot in her office and it is the shyest thing ever. Does fine with her Goldie’s and silver dollars therefore that is why this question was asked.

60 gallons. I wouldn’t put one in my 25 gallon.

Lol, not arguing with your opinion as I do not know too much about them, but how come?

9. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

I have two blood parrots, they are fairly friendly and aren't dyed (I don't stand by dyed), both of mine are a bright orange, with the vented female (the other one i can't tell) having a little pink over her belly and jaw. They eat omega one cichlid (super veggie) and sumo red pellets, as well as shrimp pellets and other treats.
    These guys can get big (I have seen several 7-8 inch fish), they can be aggressive (if they have even a partially functioning mouth they can be massive jerks because their mouth is able to bite down enough for them to get their attitude out), for the most part when you have them you need to socialize with them, most are shy because they are a fish that doesn't like sudden movements - if they are not socialized with young they keep that shy personality. Talking to them, hand feeding, and spending time where you are just watching them helps bring out their winning personalities. Once they know you feed them (and you visit the side of the tank more than once a day) they will start coming over when you approach.
    They are personable fish, however they need warmer water than even fancy goldies (which should be kept around 73 for the longest life span and health).
    They will eat live plants most of the time.
    I would say a 75 gallon for a good size (specially if you are trying to house it with other fish), they are fairly available, petco has them for 20$ each, sometimes petsmart has them. Most lfs will have them because of the novelty look of them.
    https://preview.ibb.co/b3M0bx/20180417_200743.jpg this is the female i have ( the other i don't know the sex of, it is also smaller than this one, both have deformed mouths so they cannot effectively bite).

10. OP
    OP
    Fishaholic58

Very cute. Thank you for your opinion. I’ll invest in buying a new tank just to get one of these guys. My goldfish were the same when I firstbrought them home. They kept hiding until they realized that I’m the one who feeds them, lol. Every time they see me they now swim up to the tank and beg for food.

11. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

To answer your question about why I dont like them, its cause they just dont appeal to me. I keep cichlids exclusively but I dont like how parrots look.