I’m Setting A 55 Gallon Tank Up Today 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fishguy283, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Fishguy283 New Member Member

today I am setting up a 55 gallon tank. I own 2 other tanks at the moment. A 5 and a 10 gallon. I am planning on using a flicks canister filter and an Aqueon heater. I will be using an Aqueon LED light hood. I was wondering if there is anything I should know like how long to let it cycle or what start up chemicals do I use. I have a small bottle of tts and a bottle of prime and an api beneficial bacteria bottle. I am planning on adding the tss to the tank a day after it has been running with prime. Does my plan sound okay or am I missing something

2. Islandvic Well Known Member Member

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Make sure to thoroughly wash whatever substrate you plan to use. Keep washing it even after you think it has been washed enough. That will ensure you dont get even a hint of cloudiness in the water from the substrate.

Also, the cycle booster in a bottle (TSS and your API bottle) will need an ammonia source to "feed" the beneficial bacteria. Otherwise, it may die off before colonizing.

I learned this the hard way trying to cycle my 75g last year, before joining the Fishlore forum of course.

You can use 100% pure ammonia method or use the decaying fish food method.

I used Dr. Tim's Ammonia because it came in a plastic bottle with a dropper built in to the lid. That way I could accurately dose the desired ppm of ammonia to my tank size given the directions on the label.

The other method is to buy 100% pure ammonia from either the grocery store or hardware store. It must have zero dyes, perfumes, surfactants etc in it.

If you can get that, then we can help you calculate the premise dose of ammonia to reach the ppm you want.

Remember, a 55g tank doesn't hold 55g of water when loaded with substrate, ornaments, rocks and not full to the brim.

If you dont add an ammonia source at the begining, your cycle will just be spinning its wheels trying to start.

I am guessing you have an API FW Test Kit, right?

3. WinterSoldier. Well Known Member Member

Make sure to post pics!!!

4. Letsfish Well Known Member Member

I purchased a quart of Janitorial Strength Ammonia from ACE hardware and cycled 3 tanks with it.I have enough left to cycle another 500 or so tanks. It cost a couple of bucks.