Hypselecara temporalis

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just found the newest fish I want! It's the Hypselecara temporalis or Chocolate cichlid. They're VERY colorful. I'll add pictures on the bottom.

Here's a quicky sheet I just wrote up.

Species: Chocolate Cichlid (Hypselecara temporalis)

Size: 10-12in. Males are usually larger. Both sexes get to about the same size.

Temperament: Mostly peaceful except for during spawning. They are called gentle giants. If threatened they won’t back down. Their mouths aren’t really made to cause damage so they won’t be much of a problem.

Tank: 75g long is fine. Even for a pair I think. The tank should be around 48” long and 18” wide. 15” wide is acceptable though.

Diet: Eats almost anything. Should have a varied diet including vegetable matter. Vegetables include peas, romaine lettuce, zucchini, cucumber, and pumpkin. They love to eat insects.

Sexing: Males have extended dorsal, anal, and pelvic fins. Males will develop a Nuchal hump.

Water parameters: Soft water mostly, pH between 6-7 with very low general hardness. Have been kept successfully in neutral water with a pH of 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
1- Yes that's their natural color

2- I don't think so but I haven't looked very hard.

3- I don't know.

Haha I'm afraid if I do more research on them I'll end up getting a pair ;D!

burnellhman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
1- Yes that's their natural color

2- I don't think so but I haven't looked very hard.

3- I don't know.

Haha I'm afraid if I do more research on them I'll end up getting a pair ;D!
Buy one I have one and it is stunning.Unfortunately all all them dont have that green color only high quality males have that color.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good write up Jonathan. I'll just add that they like plenty of plants to provide cover & that floating plants will make them feel much more secure. Plants will be left alone so long as they are fed a reasonable amount of vegtable matter in thier diet.

Juveniles that you would buy from LFS are not very colourfull so don't be decieved by thier appearance in store. The colour comes on as the fish get older so with a little patience you can end up with a fantastic fish.

Yes they are pretty easy to get. Most LFS should have them or if not be able to order them for you.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One of the most peaceful big cichlids you will come across.
A very fun fish to keep and like mentioned as they mature their colors will come out.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom