Hypothetical 40 Breeder Stocking

1. MrBrackishGuy

MrBrackishGuy Valued Member Member

So my parents mentioned the possibility of getting a community tank in a year or two, and my MTS immediately kicked in and I’m already thinking about stocking.

This is purely a hypothetical tank as of yet, and I’m mostly doing it for fun but I’ve got a list I’d like to narrow down in terms of compatibility. I’ve never actually done a community tank before so I’m not sure exactly who would work with whom, and I thought this would be a decent way to learn a little about stocking community tanks. Here are all the fish I’d like to have:

6-8 sterbai corydoras/kuhli loaches. I would love to have both but I’m not sure if they’d mix well, due to both being bottom feeders.

1 gourami of some sort/a pair of angels. I’m rather fond of gouramis, and my mom is fond of angels, and due to both of these being large, semi-aggressive fish I decided it’d be one or the other.

A school of tightly shoaling, small fish, probably a tetra. Don’t know what these would be but a tight school of fish would be cool to have. Mostly optional.

An albino bristlenose pleco. This one is a big maybe and it all depends on how much I’m stocked, and temperature compatibility.

I’m also open to suggestions for good community fish, except cichlids. I’m not that interested in most cichlids except for Oscars and shelldwellers (and obviously angels) which obviously aren’t good choices for a community tank.

This tank would be a 40 gallon breeder most likely, as per the title.

2. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

If I were you, I’d do:
    10 Khuli loaches/cories
    3 honey gourami (somone correct me if I have the numbers wrong)
    I actually prefer rasboras, but you could do cardinal tetras. But I highly reccomend harlequin rasboras.
    10 schooling fish
    I think a BN has cooler water requirements.

Or you could go the whole other way and keep your tank at 74 degrees. Cories and either neon tetras or WCMM (or other cool water fish) and a gourami, but I’m not sure on the temp requirements for each.

3. OP
    OP
    MrBrackishGuy

I decided to check and all these fish (including angels) should do fine in 76- 77 degrees. However there isn’t a page on honey gouramis so I used pearls and dwarfs as a reference, and it might be slightly cold for them. Do honeys prefer cooler water? I’d prefer not to keep it at everyone’s upper limit just for one fish.
    And yeah, I’d go with the rasboras, they look a lot nicer than the tetras.

4. emmysjj

I don’t know much about angels, unfortunately. I’m pretty sure the honeys prefer warmer water, around 78 degrees, which is high for a BN.
    What are your must have fish?

For the rasboras, are you looking at micro ones (chili rasboras, galaxy rasboras) or the bigger ones (harlequin rasboras)?

5. OP
    OP
    MrBrackishGuy

I was looking at harlequins at first but I far prefer the galaxies upon looking them up.

My must have fish would probably be the cories/kuhlis, the pleco if possible, and maybe the galaxy rasboras.
    If I had to skip the gourami in order to keep them I wouldn’t really mind, but I do want a large-ish centerpiece fish of some sort, though.

6. emmysjj

Well... angels would eat the galaxies. You could do sparkling gourami, but I’m not the best with centerpiece fish though.

7. OP
    OP
    MrBrackishGuy

Yeah, I had a suspicion they might. Angels aren’t a must-have, so I don’t really mind not having them either. I’ll do some research into centerpiece fish and see what I can find that I like and is compatible with everything else.

Ok, so far Firemouth cichlids and upside-down catfishes have caught my eye. I decided to give cichlids a chance and discovered a few I’m rather fond of, like cockatoos. They wouldn’t do well in my tank for various reasons but they’re now on my dream fish list.
    I could also simply have the pleco as my large centerpiece fish, and maybe add something like a small school of hatchets or glass cats should there be enough room.

8. emmysjj

I’m fairly sure that the firemouths are realllly aggressive and need big tanks. I don’t know about upside down catfish.
    I think the pleco would make a great centerpiece.
    Glass cats are really sensitive to water quality, and they are really timid, so you won’t see them often. Hatches jump a lot, and a quick search leads me to say (about the silver hatchets, i don’t know what species you like) that they are pretty hard to care for and needs frozen or live food. Any other fish you like?

9. OP
    OP
    MrBrackishGuy

Yeah, I was iffy about keeping cichlids in a community tank. I’m glad to be narrowing it down! Boesmani rainbowfish and paradise fish look cool, but I don’t know how well they’d do with the CPDs.

10. emmysjj

Paradise fish are aggressive, like bettas, and will eat CPDs.

What species of rainbow are you thinking?

11. OP
    OP
    MrBrackishGuy

Oh, should’ve clarified Boesmanis (did I spell that right?) Praecox rainbows also look cool, trying to find more info on them.

12. emmysjj

Looking it up, they are also aggressive :(

13. OP
    OP
    MrBrackishGuy

Aw, that’s a shame. Yeah, looks like they like it WARM too.
    I’ll leep looking for a while but to be quite honest I’m happy with the fish I’ve got so far. I wish I could keep cories AND khulis but otherwise I’m reasonably happy with a pleco as my centerpiece.

EDIT: I decided to do some research and if I were to get 3-4, upside-down cats might work. I’ll continue researching their bio load but I’ll put them on the maybe list.

14. emmysjj

Oops, I was looking at the wrong rainbow XD
    Bosemani rainbows are peaceful and would work well.
    I’d get more upside downs.

15. OP
    OP
    MrBrackishGuy

Oh, great! The problem is, my tank would be far too cold for them anyway, so I’ll just go with the upside downs.
    Thanks for your help!

Ok, so my final stocking list will be:

1 albino bristlenose pleco

10 celestial pearl danios

10 sterbai corydoras/kuhli loaches (maybe 7-8 of each? I do like both)

5-6 upside down cats

Am I overstocked, or would this work fine? It’d be densely planted and would have plenty of driftwood for the pleco and to provide hiding spots.