Hypancistrus ID please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizard0fozz

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
He decided to go out for a stroll so I siezed the opportunity carefully removing his caves and driftwood, then i started taking shots.. he got spooked once he saw the orange ready light from the camer, freaked out looking for his cave.. hope i didnt spook him too bad.. in the video he seemed calmer already.. i know the pics didnt come out so great but it was the best I could do.. hopefully i'll get more opportunities..

Well here they are..

I'll do pics first..

1#

2#

3#

4#

5#

and heres the video ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTrGGe_IZ0A

Unfortunately the quality came out horribly in youtube, i don't know why. It looked decent on my camera, if anyone knows how to upload videos to youtube without degrading the quality too much i'll do that and repost, cause that video is pretty god-awful. So yea.. with the pics and vid at hand, im still thinking L129.. anyone else?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hubby says definitely not L129. He knows a lot more about plecos than I do and says that the stripes are too wide and thick. He thinks you have something less common (and more valuable) than L129.

Great fish!

OP
W

wizard0fozz

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
thank you.. i really do like him.. im going to try to get some better pics of him if I can get him out of the tank.. ill take a top view, sides, and i'll try to get one of his mouth, although i've never handled a pleco before. Don't wanna hurt him, what's the safest way to grab him so I could get a shot of his mouth.

OP
W

wizard0fozz

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't know.. The stripes on that one are different.. the difference being that the stripes on the specimens in that link have smaller stripes that lead to larger stripes, having different sized stripes. My fish seems to have pretty evenly shaped lines. but i really don;t know, i suppose it's a possibility that it's that one. also.. does anyone know If I can keep Amazon Swords with this pleco?

Last edited:
OP
W

wizard0fozz

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yeah, i have enjoyed looking and reading about different kinds of plecos.. I even started doing it for my sister's new fish,cause she got a similarly looking plec, from a different vendor. So i have been looking alot, and thats how I came to the conclusion that it's L129.. no other species' photos i've seen look as close to mine as the L129... One would think I would leave it at that, but I'm kinda new to the "pleco hobby" so I don't know enough to trust my judgement. Plus it's fun to keep on till i know for sure. Figured someone on here could give me a positive ID, and also help me learn how to handle the pleco properly to take pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 61 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.4%

Top Bottom