Hygrophila Polysperma
    552.jpg
    553.jpg

common name- dwarf hygrophila, hygrophila polysperma

proper name - hygrophila polysperma

origin - asia

category - stem

care level - extremely easy

lighting needs - moderate-high, it will turn a beautiful redish color almost like a sunset in higher lighting

temperature - -85

position in aquascape - mid to backround as this can get fairly tall, it grew from a couple of inches to 1 foot within a few months for me

PH - it is adaptable to most conditions so really doesnt have a specific range that this plant should be in

hardness - is adaptable to most conditions so really doesnt have a specific range

propogation - small cuttings from the stem itself will grow very fast in the right conditions, but it may loose the base leaves when adapting after being cut

needs added Co2 - No, but this plant will thrive with it as will lots of other plants

needs added fertilizers - no, but this plant will certainly benefit from it as will lots of other plants, and if you do decide to add fertilizers, use liquid ones as with root tabs they will become useless because this plant is a heavy root runner feeder

bio - This species of hygro is probably one of the best "beginners" plants, as it can be grown in the most unfavorable conditions like low light, an imbalance in nutrients, minimal amounts of Co2 and extra nutrients, and low or high ph's. it is a most favorable aquarium plant that i dont see often here in texas..... other than in the lakes, streams and rivers. but it is easily obtained in other places so youll most likely have lots of luck finding some. this plant is very attractive and has been known to turn an almost sunset red in the right conditions. dwarf hygro is not the best plant for fry hiding unless you plan on putting it in a bush but still looks good either way. it will help with algae problems, and excess nutrient problems also as it will take away and suck up all the excess nutrients that are provided in the aquarium, meaning that there is nothing left for the algae to survive on. so for that reason i would recommend it for aquariums that always have algae problems as a result of lots of sunlight entering through the tank