Hygrophila leaves turning brown with white/clear fungus

Kendle

I got several new plants for my *cycling* fish tank around 2 weeks ago. I purchased an amazon sword, vallisneria and hygrophila. They all started melting at first, but after a trim the amazon sword and vallisneria improved. The hygrophila however is still getting more brown leaves daily, I trim them off and then more start dying. There’s some whitish translucent fuzz growing on the dead leaves too. I did a hydrogen peroxide dip but that didn’t get all the fuzz off and leaves are still dying. I put some flourish tabs in to see if that’d help too. Is this normal? What could be causing this and how do I treat it? The plant looked fine in the store.

Kendle

no takers?? my plant is still dying

Upvote 0

emilymg

I got several new plants for my *cycling* fish tank around 2 weeks ago. I purchased an amazon sword, vallisneria and hygrophilia. They all started melting at first, but after a trim the amazon sword and vallisneria improved. The hygrophilia however is still getting more brown leaves daily, I trim them off and then more start dying. There’s some whitish translucent fuzz growing on the dead leaves too. I did a hydrogen peroxide dip but that didn’t get all the fuzz off and leaves are still dying. I put some flourish tabs in to see if that’d help too. Is this normal? What could be causing this and how do I treat it? The plant looked fine in the store. Pic below, it doesn’t look as bad as it did earlier bc i trimmed the dead leaves along with most of the fungus
I’m not exactly sure what this could be. For now, I would again cut the dead/dying leaves off. It almost looks like the brown stuff is like a slime that can be wiped off? It’s hard to tell but maybe you could go that route and manually wipe off anything on your plants. That’s what I would do. Since none of your other plants seem to be affected I’m not thinking it’s the water. The hygrophilia may also be adjusting to your tank and melting a bit.

Upvote 0

Kendle

I’m not exactly sure what this could be. For now, I would again cut the dead/dying leaves off. It almost looks like the brown stuff is like a slime that can be wiped off? It’s hard to tell but maybe you could go that route and manually wipe off anything on your plants. That’s what I would do. Since none of your other plants seem to be affected I’m not thinking it’s the water. The hygrophilia may also be adjusting to your tank and melting a bit.
Thanks for replying, it’s not slime because the brown does not come off when I rub it. I hope that it is just adjusting but seems like leaves would be going transparent instead of just brown if that were the case.

Upvote 0

emilymg

t

Thanks for replying, it’s not slime because the brown does not come off when I rub it. I hope that it is just adjusting but seems like leaves would be going transparent instead of just brown if that were the case.
Your plant may be adjusting to the difference in water temp and light intensity as well...hopefully with time the brown will go away. Update if anything gets worse though.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Hygrophila tend to melt a lot when introduced to a new tank, and I noticed they also take a while to adjust and root to new substrate... But once they take hold they grow really fast

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JavaMossMan
Replies
Views
Dan1o
Replies
Views
MasterPython
Replies