Hygrophila corymbosa Thailand leaf issue

DG123

Hi, My hygrophila plants older/larger leaves appear to be melting and I’m unsure why. It kind of looks like they are being chewed at (pictures attached). It’s made the bottom of the plant look very open but the top is growing fine
I currently dose seachem comp twice a week, excel every other day and seachem potassium twice a week and the plant has multiple root tabs
Anyone have any advice how to stop this?
the plant seems to be doing well and has started to propagate, so I’m confused. I recently moved it to that corner of the tank so maybe the disruption of being moved has caused this?
I don’t dose nitrogen and my current nitrate levels are 2.5-5 ppm which is pretty low, would anyone recommend dosing liquid nitrogen?
Thanks!

Cherryshrimp420

Maybe a potassium deficiency. When my hygrophila corymbosa starts showing those leaves I just add a chunk of banana to my tank. Not sure if this will work for you but you can try potassium ferts.

Upvote 0

JustAFishServant

Maybe a potassium deficiency. When my hygrophila corymbosa starts showing those leaves I just add a chunk of banana to my tank. Not sure if this will work for you but you can try potassium ferts.
I've never heard of that method before! Cool! :D

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I've never heard of that method before! Cool! :D

Yeah I recommend it if you have a lot of shrimps and snails that can quickly consume it. Otherwise it will foul your water due to all the sugars in it.

Upvote 0

JustAFishServant

Yeah I recommend it if you have a lot of shrimps and snails that can quickly consume it. Otherwise it will foul your water due to all the sugars in it.
Makes sense! I never feed a tank without inhabitants anyway :D

Upvote 0

TClare

I never thought of banana! But I agree about potassium, mine were exactly the same, also my Nymphoides “Taiwan” started getting holes in the leaves, but both recovered when I started dosing potassium just once a week. I also have low nitrates.

Upvote 0

DG123

I’m already dosing potassium into the water column twice a week, do you think I should be dosing it more often?

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I’m already dosing potassium into the water column twice a week, do you think I should be dosing it more often?

Well the thing is seachem ferts may or may not work. It's questionable whether they actually contain the nutrients in a form readily available to plants. I would recommend dry ferts if you do want to go the fertilizer route.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EbiAqua
  • Question
Replies
Views
mimo91088
  • Question
Replies
Views