Hydroponic-to-soil gardening?

2fishinabowl

When you have live plants growing in your aquarium essentially it's a hydroponic (no-soil) garden setup which is very cool. You let any plant trimmings float and soon they will sprout roots and you've got yourself another plant.

But I'm just wondering if anyone here has tried replanting their water plant trimmings back into pots full of soil on the windowsill or in their garden.

The idea is that with just basic upkeep you could have plants like that for years and replant trimmings or the whole plant into future aquariums whenever you want. ok maybe this isn't for everyone. Some people can't even make weeds grow but my wife and I have green thumbs so...

Has anyone tried and had success? If so, any pointers for experimenting with this?

btw, A lot of those Vegetable garden plants you buy at home depot every summer come from hydroponic nurseries.

mattgirl

When water plants are removed from water I would think the water leaves will die off fairly quick. Something much like plants that have had the top of them grown out of water will die off once put under water.

Doing this might work if the top of the plant has been out of the water for a while and has adjusted to growing out of the water. I have to think it might work if the part of the plant that has grown out of water was planted in soil. Sounds like an interesting experiment.

If you can get the plant to grow in soil, cuttings from it would probably go through the melting process once clipped off and submerged. If you try it please let us know how it works out.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nataku
Replies
Views
Keystone
Replies
Views
Dorothy B.
Replies