Hydrometer readings

jennie0429

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What do I add if my hyrdrometer reading is higher than the 1.020-1.023 level? Distilled water or salt?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
Hope you don't mind, your thread has been moved to the Saltwater section of the forum.
I'm assuming you have a Saltwater tank and not brackish?
If you could fill in your aquarium info, non salty members like myself would be better able to manage and answer your question.

Good luck!

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jennie0429 said:
What do I add if my hyrdrometer reading is higher than the 1.020-1.023 level? Distilled water or salt?
The range is 1.020-1.025. You add fresh and not salt.

An example is you're making soup. It turns out really salty. You have two containers. One is saltwater and one is water. Which one would you add to make the soup less salty?

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I always try to think of it as pure water being 1.000, and the farther away from 1.000 it gets the more salt is in the water. So to move the numbers closer to 1.000 you need to add more pure water, to move them farther away add more salt.

When I was first mixing water for my brackish tank I just started adding salt and testing about every other tablespoon to see what the reading was. It's much better to start a bit too fresh and slowly add salt than to add too much salt and have to dilute it.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads