Hydrogen Peroxide

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Zenial, Dec 13, 2009.

  1. ZenialValued MemberMember

    Hi guys,

    I've been doing some research on algae controls and Hydrogen Peroxide seems to be a hot favourite (including here on fishlore :p). However, being the cautious type - I still have a few questions about it.

    • I have some Chinese Algae Eaters in my tank, if I use Hydrogen Peroxide, will they still have plenty of food? They usually eat off the glass and ornaments, but I NEED to get this algae off my plants (which they won't touch :-\)
    • A few pages have told me it's ok to add Hydrogen Peroxide directly to the tank (all mentions here have used it in a bucket) This is a story I've heard with other treatments, only to have err.... less than ok results. So, is it safe to do?
    • I've read a whole range of ratios for Hydrogen Peroxide:water, mainly 60mL in 30 Litres (2 oz in 10 gallon), is this right?

    And of course, is there anything else I should know about this algae control? :p

    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

    Hello Zenial. hmmmm I'd be hesitant to add hydrogen peroxide directly into my tank. I've never done but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be safe. We'll have to get more responses. I know I've seen threads where Hydrogen peroxide was used to sterilize plants "prior" to them going into the tank.

    Here are a couple of links you may find helpful:
    How to clean algae off plants?
    Aquarium Algae Control
  3. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

    Hydrogen peroxide won't hurt your fish but as with anything you don't want to use a lot. When it goes into the water it breaks up into it's components (Hydrogen and oxygen) pretty fast.
    I have used a 5ml syringe to squirt HP directly on plant leaves. Do a small spot and wait to see how your plant reacts. Some fine/thin leaved plants don't like it.
    If you can figure out what's causing the algae or it will come right back.
    Some causes of algae are direct light from a window, high nitrates, low CO2(depending on what kind of algae). just a few suggestions
    Here are some examples of algae to help you know what kind you have
    Hope that helps
  4. ZenialValued MemberMember

    Oh, what a fact to leave out! Sorry, I have a form of Blue-green algae.
    I'm not sure as the where it has come from, but I THINK it came with a plant... well I hope it's came with a plant.

    EDIT: And the leaves on my plants are very fine, some are almost furry to the touch: Heterenthera zosterfolia, Rotala Wallichii, Limnophila sessiliflora(Ambulia), Ludwigia Repens, Rotala macranda.

    Thank you for the link. "Treatment with 200 mg of erythromycin phosphate..." Hrmm.... not sure if I can get that here... erythromycin phosphate would be a better option than HP? I read EP is rather strong... >.> *watches the situation get more complex*

    Just a little extra add-on story, though not sure if it's related directly. Over a year ago (before I had my fishtank) there was a major problem with BGA (amongst other things: mercury, salinity etc) in the town's water supply, it was declared unsafe to drink, and at it's worst stage, unsafe to use at all. So, I'm thinking, maybe there is still some BGA in the tap water? And that has affected my tank, through using it to clean the outside glass, flush out buckets, heating tubing in warm water etc. (I use different water to fill the tank & clean equipment). If it is the tap water... well... I don't think I'll be able to keep my tank as I wish :'(
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  5. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

  6. Jake the FishValued MemberMember

    Try using "Flourish Excel". You pour some into your tank and it feeds plants and starves algae. About 1 cap full will do an 80L tank.
  7. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

    Normally that would work but not with this kind of algae :)
  8. HitchHikerValued MemberMember

    Have you stopped by your local farm supply store? They may have it there. I used to work at one and we would care that sort of thing.
  9. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

    clean, clean clean... that seems to be the best way of keeping mine to a minimum. I can't get rid of it completely but each time I clean a mass of it out of the tank it's slower coming back. Keep it off the leaves of the plants and cut back a bit on your feedings (to once a day) and maybe that'll help?

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice