Hydrogen Peroxide/excel

Discussion in 'Algae' started by capecodder, Apr 11, 2018.

1. capecodder

capecodderValued MemberMember

Hey everyone I've been dealing with BBA algae for weeks, I now have 2 otto's, shrimp and I do have a planted tank. I started using excel and have been using it for about 8 days...its better but not gone. Another group I belong to seems to really not like Excel and they think I should use hydrogen Peroxide instead...anyone else use that in their tank? Did it hurt plants? Fish? I've read up on this and many folks use Excel with great success, I've had some but its by no means gone....

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

Hydrogen peroxide works best as a spot treatment with a syringe but can be dosest for the whole tank. Never used excel so i don't know which works better. Peroxide will only kill simple cell organism like algea and bacteria so it wont harm fish or plants unless overdosed. So even add it to fish bags for shipping since it breaks down to water and oxygen.

3. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

Hydrogen peroxide works best as a spot treatment with a syringe but can be dosest for the whole tank. Never used excel so i don't know which works better. Peroxide will only kill simple cell organism like algea and bacteria so it wont harm fish or plants unless overdosed. Some even add it to fish bags for shipping since it breaks down to water and oxygen.

4. OP
    OP
    capecodder

capecodderValued MemberMember

Thanks David....

5. bitseriously

bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

There’s a cool post out there on the web where an aquarist placed inverted plastic bags over algae-covered driftwoods in a planted tank (bags filled with tank water not air), tied off the bags around their bases, and injected peroxide into bags via syringe/tubing. It allowed the peroxide rate around the driftwood to be maximized for longer, so more bang for less peroxide buck. It could be used on certain plants as well, I suppose.

Found it!!

2EDF1251-D2D3-4929-8C32-75D9A9548E94.jpeg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice