Important Hydrocloric Acid To Lower Ph

Roger121

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi.
Well, guys, one guy in a Hispanic forum make this experiment
He put hydrochloric acid in the fish tank to low the ph if u have no so much idea of chemistry u must be thinking, that guy is a freak, animal abuse, whatever this is not a question for u.
For the people who have an idea of chemistry, he said this
I add chloride acid to low my ph coz I have two corydoras, and the kh of my water is high, 300ppm, that means a high ph, i want to low it, i use 5 ml of hydrochloric acid to low my ph to 7.5 from 8.0 ph.
I made a couple of observations of the process of the acid in the tank. the salt made it , the acid must attack others salts in the tank, as the nitrates, sulfates, carbonates, etc and making chlorides.
If the ph doesn't low from 7, that means the acid has neutralized no danger.
It was a lot of sense to me.
I was thinking ways to danger the fish using the acid, and the only ways are, literally the fish touching the acid and no gud salts in the water. but if make the prosses out the fishtank its safe.
lol , what u think about that?
PLS, i don't want subjective answers. All in a theoretical scientific way.

Last edited:

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It can be done easily. Dilute the acid in water first. You can use dechlorinater below 7ph to neutralize the excess chlorine gas in the water. You definitely don't want to add it straight to the tank without diluting it first. The biggest danger is to shrimp and copper sensitive animals as it can cause elemental copper that is in solid form to produce copper salts which will kill them.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Last edited:

Roger121

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I mean , to make the hydrochloridic acid attack the copper must have a oxidant, like h202 or another one . the reaction is slow . and the water is full of other minerals so sodium calcium magnesium ferrum , gonna be attacked first, the kh is high so the creation of soluble salts of copper is almost imposible coz the copper is in very low quatities and the another more reactive metals are in the solution,
may acidifying the water with animals with calcarean shells is a mistake but if u neutalize the acid out of the tank must be safe.

Roger121

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lol the senyu stones post is not a tutorial to make rocks?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom